Panasonic ST30 PS3 Ghosting

adeleander

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, have just bought a new Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P46ST30B, which is great for watching TV and films so far.

But Im having problems with ghosting when I turned horizontally in Skyrim on the PS3, this wasn't noticeable on my old Samsung 46" LCD set.

Ive read somewhere this is something to do with 30FPS used in the game, but its come as a bit of a shock as all the reviews I read on the set mentioned how good the refresh rate is.

Has anyone else experience this problem and have any work arounds?

Its just strange that I never noticed it on my old Samsung but noticed it straight away on the new Panasonic. I expect its something that I will get used to, anyway only noticed it on Skyrim so far so could be an issue with just that game.
One other question, Ive always been told that you should just buy the cheapest HDMI cable as if it works then it works as its digital, guess switching it for a better one wouldn't make a difference?

Its just strange that I never noticed it on my old Samsung but noticed it straight away on the new Panasonic. I expect its something that I will get used to, anyway only noticed it on Skyrim so far so could be an issue with just that game.
One other question, Ive always been told that you should just buy the cheapest HDMI cable as if it works then it works as its digital, guess switching it for a better one wouldn't make a difference?

Its not your HDMI lead, I spend about £10-20 on HDMI leads myself, it gets nice cables that'll last. I did a test a while back myself using a £15 cable and a £80 cable, no differance. Appart from durability a chaper cable at just a few quid will be fine at the short lengths we use.

I worked in the games industry, low frame rates will show this issue, I even had it on LCD. Even games that are stated 30fps or higher aren't stable 100% of the time.

I play most games with IFC set to the medium setting - it helps reduce the double-imaging effect on 30fps games.

Changing your HDMI cable shouldn't make a difference with this. Whilst it is daft to pay silly money for an HDMI cable, it's still advisable to get one with a reasonable build quality so paying pennies for one doesn't make sense either !

Had to find out what was going on, so plugged my old Samsung back in.

It is happening on that, but isn't as noticeable, because i think the picture quality isn't as good (its a 2004 vintage LCD), amazing that a better TV will actually make a signal look worse by showing it in higher quality!

Guess ill get used to it!

Played around with the TV a bit more, this does seem to occur in several games that are played in a "3D" perspective like Skyrim, not sure why it seems so bad to me when all the reviews Ive read say this is a great set, in my judgement it seems very poor if used with a games console, my 7 year old Samsung LCD had much better performance, normal video playback is very good though.

Hopefully over time I will not notice it as much.

Had to find out what was going on, so plugged my old Samsung back in.

It is happening on that, but isn't as noticeable, because i think the picture quality isn't as good (its a 2004 vintage LCD), amazing that a better TV will actually make a signal look worse by showing it in higher quality!

Guess ill get used to it!

This is the irony of a good set, it shows everything, nothing is hidden. Read many complaints about really good sets on here and the issues are actually down to the content.

You don't notice any blurring when you pan from left to right, images don't appear to be duplicated?

Are you playing on PS3?

adeleander said:
You don't notice any blurring when you pan from left to right, images don't appear to be duplicated?

Are you playing on PS3?

Yes I'm on PS3, and no I don't.

Ok, well if other TV's don't do this, and it can't be the HDMI cable, Im confused as to whats happening?

Ok, well if other TV's don't do this, and it can't be the HDMI cable, Im confused as to whats happening?

All Plasmas do this - it's just that some people don't notice it. Don't forget also that a 46" TV is around 30% bigger than a 40" so things like this are magnified.

Its the set displaying whats sent to it. try the game on a Samsung plasma and an LCD and see what happens. Personally Id take a bit of double imaging over motion blur but thats just me.:)

Its the set displaying whats sent to it. try the game on a Samsung plasma and an LCD and see what happens. Personally Id take a bit of double imaging over motion blur but thats just me.:)

Personally I would like to see games developers use the power of the consoles to deliver a 60fps experience rather than prettier graphics.

But as it seems this is unlikely I too would rather take a double image over the many flaws of LCDs.

Personally I would like to see games developers use the power of the consoles to deliver a 60fps experience rather than prettier graphics.

But as it seems this is unlikely I too would rather take a double image over the many flaws of LCDs.

Sadly its the prettier graphics tha sell games now. Now people want 3D games too, at 1080p no less!:rolleyes: devs cant win. If only people knew how hard games are to make, its a tough balancing act to make a game now and since our wonderfull government chooses not to support the industry in the UK we are at the mercy of publisher demands too, meaning less time to develop more content at very short notice.

Hi, have just bought a new Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P46ST30B, which is great for watching TV and films so far.

But Im having problems with ghosting when I turned horizontally in Skyrim on the PS3, this wasn't noticeable on my old Samsung 46" LCD set.

Ive read somewhere this is something to do with 30FPS used in the game, but its come as a bit of a shock as all the reviews I read on the set mentioned how good the refresh rate is.

Has anyone else experience this problem and have any work arounds?
My 50vt30 does this aswell you are right it's down to the game's framerate on mine playing my ps3 mw3 is 60fps and you dont see it but resistance3 is 30fps and the double imageing can be seen clearly apart from only playing high framerate games you cannot do much about it's right what's been posted by scooby a good tv show's up more faults in the source,i have been so put off by it im selling my ps3/360 and build a gameing rig.

Not really connected, but have been wondering what the difference between a HDMI cable and a high speed HDMI cable really is, I've read I should have high speed if I'm using 1080p but no idea what mine are.

What would the effects of using a non-high speed cable for 1080p be?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom