Panasonic & Sony digoboxes

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by FRANTIC FRANC, Aug 26, 2006.

1. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Ever noticed that you don't get many posts regarding help with these boxes !

I think that says it all.

:lesson: Surely the suits at Sky should look at the long term cost (i.e. multiple service calls to customers) and realise that cheaper manufacturers are not cost effective!

Cheers, Franc

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Never had a problem with my amstrad box in the three years i had it, must have got a good one.

3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Yes but what were the relative production figures and were they ever given out to installers or merely sold for "private" installs?

4. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I'd bet the guy who gets a bonus for reducing the box cost by 89p isn't the same guy who gets a bonus for reducing costs on the support line

It seems so obvious - buy cheap, buy twice but Sky don't seem to get it. It's quite frustrating how you get no choice but to accept what they supply (especially given some of the poorer aspects of the "premium" HD box)

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Since SONY have not supplied a box for nearly 5 years it's no surprise that based on simple units in circulation that there would be fewer issues when compared to the units supplied by PACE or Amstrad etc.

Panasonic based purely on these and the DS forum posts do seem to come out marginally ahead in terms of problems but the public forums while can be used as a guide are not perhaps accurate enough to know exactly how different makes/models occupy the call out figures.
    It certainly would make interesting reading:)

The big problem of course is that a lot of issues are software related and that has little to do with who makes the actual STB and like the supermarkets SKY's policy is replace not repair.
    I would certainly have liked to have seen a high end SKY STB but it would still have to use SKY software which would kinda defeat the point:)

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    But Sony and Panasonic don't make Sky+ boxes, which is what most of these posts are about, you rarely get complaints here about standard digiboxes. If Sony or Panasonic ever produced Sky+ boxes and at the same pricepoint then I think you'd start to see the same thing for them as well.

7. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Well I'm quite taken aback by your defence of the cheaper makes. All I will say is that I only fit Panasonics or Sony's for my independent installs. In 6 years noone has ever rang me up for a service call (and no I haven't change my phone number you sceptics!).

Also even going back to pre 1994 my local 'Sky depot' returns corner was full of Grundigs, Amstrads and Pace. Rarely did you see a Sony or Panasonic returned. Ask Any engineer and they will tell you the same thing. I'm sure if Panasonic was still producing Sky boxes they would certainly be producing Sky+'s and everyone would be clambering over themselves to obtain one.

Cheers, Franc

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm not defending the other manufacturers, all I'm saying is that IF Sony and Panasonic made Sky+ boxes for the same price point then don't be surprised if they're quality wasn't up to much too, there's only so much any manufacturer can do for such a limited budget, probably a reason why they've never wanted to make pvr boxes for Sky in the first place.

9. dan54

dan54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    couldnt agree more with frank-had a bog standard panasonic box for 7 years now and its been nigh on faultless,couple of crashes but thats about it,mother in law got the same box - no probs either,dont need sky+-everythings repeated 10X anyway.

10. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Frequently on other channels too - do they just pass programmes round?

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It's rare for two channels to share content from the same season but quite common for channels to have different seasons of the same program or a parent channel will filter down content to it's pay or free sister channels over time.

12. technospark

technospark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ive heard that there is a chip you can take out to bypass the sky card for testing? as i think the card reader is up the spoutany ideas would be much sort after:lease: