Panasonic Smart TV System 2015 Review

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Steve Withers, Jul 20, 2015.

Tags:

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,708
    2. patamons

patamons
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the review.

Seems DTS is not supported and not forwarded via optical or HDMI arc. This could be added to the review.

I've also read that other menus to configure the TV are ugly in comparison of the smart menu. Is it true ?

3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,708
      Yes you're right DTS is not supported, only Dolby Digital Plus. I'll add that to the review, although it probably wouldn't make that much difference in practical terms.

I wouldn't call the normal menus ugly but if you want to see what they look like just watch the videos in our review of the Panasonic 55CX802B - Panasonic TX-55CX802B (CX802) UHD 4K LED TV Review | AVForums

4. silversurfer24v

silversurfer24v

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +83
      Hi Steve
      Thanks for the review , you mention that you can pause live TV, I have a 1TB hard drive connected to my 50 cx802b and have been unable to get pause live TV working , I even contacted panasonic support about this and was told that this feature was not available , have you had this working .

Dolby plus is only supported for the netflix app with arc and will not pass threw dolby from my fire tv box or sky box threw arc hdmi2
      Thanks
      Chris

5. HMHB

HMHB
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,438
      Do I take it that you can't configure the telly to just show the selected input content at startup? If not that would be far too annoying for me

6. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +907
      Steve,
      you mention Netflix and Amazon, what's the status with 4k with the Panasonic system?

7. Yappa

Yappa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,404
      Thank for the writeup.

Yeah, that can't be true, can it? I don't want to see any Smart TV screen, only when I need it.
      When I had the Panasonic 50GT60 (returned it due to FC) there was an option to bypass the "Home screen". When turning on the TV, it would then display whatever port/TV tuner was last on. In my case usually HDMI #1 (my Satellite receiver).

And what about the Youtube App? Does it finally support 4K or do we still have to use the browser to play 4K Youtube content?

8. patamons

patamons
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks, the other are indeed also nice. I think I will not wait too much time to buy the CX700...

9. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,708
      Thanks for your comments Chris, that's really helpful. I'm surprised at the inability to record live TV, that feature was certainly available in previous generations. I'll just check with Panasonic and update my review accordingly. I probably should have said that this year's Panasonic TVs can decode up to Dolby Digital Plus but are you saying you can't send Dolby Digital via ARC either?

10. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,708
      I'll check with Panasonic and find out if you can turn it off because I also found it really annoying.

11. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,708
      As far as Netflix, Amazon and YouTube 4K is concerned, my broadband connection is nowhere near fast enough to enjoy those services. I'll check with Panasonic and when Mark gets a Panasonic in for review he can test those services in 4K (if available) because he's got really fast broadband.

12. Malard

Malard
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      The CX series of TVs are seriously broken, they have some fundamental HDMI bugs, that prevent HDBaseT from working, the internal processor is really under powered so the DDC lines are constantly clock stretching (which is bad for HDCP) also, if you try and send 10 or 12 bit content to the panel it will crash and you have to send DVI content or reboot to recover.

The Firefox OS is really just an overlay over the core embedded platform, this is really evident in the way it hooks into thinks like Vieralink where you have to go into the menu system and then select it before your dropped to the old system panasonic menu system

The UX is really poorly thought out when it comes to integrating with other bits of hardware (like a blu-ray player) and for me this is just lazyness on their part

13. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,708
      The current CX range use 8-bit panels, so I'm not surprised they crash if you try and send 10- or 12-bit content. Your comments about how poorly they integrate into networked systems is very useful, thanks.

14. silversurfer24v

silversurfer24v

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +83
      hi
      you can record live tv but not pause live tv, only netflix will pass dolby threw arc, i have not tried the other apps for dolby pass threw , my sky box is connected to hdmi1 when i use the soundbar which is connected to hdmi 2 (arc) i only get pcm 2.0.0 not dolby
      cheers

15. slikvik

slikvik
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      The dual tuner TVs, are they one DVB-T2 and one DVB-S2? So that means if you want to record one channel and watch another you have to have an aerial AND a dish connected?

Also, I still don't get why they have no time-shifting functions yet! Does anyone here not pause live TV? I find it's a necessity and given you then need another box to do it, the TV's actual TV functions end up being almost pointless because I'm never switched to that source.

I honestly find it quite mystifying.

16. Malard

Malard
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Steve, try sending 10 or 12 bit content to any other TV and it will recover fine, normally the TV will downsample from 10 or 12 bits to 8 bit, this just crashes it. A tv from PCworld (Logik own brand) will handle this properly so no excuse for Panasonic not to on the CX series.

My main point here is they have regressed, all their previous generation of panels handled HDBaseT and 10/12 bit content without issue

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    17. silversurfer24v

silversurfer24v

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +83
      If you have an aerial connected you can record 1 channel whilst watching another or you can record 2 channel, if you have a dish connected same record 1 watch another or record 2 , you can record 1 channel your aerial and 1 channel of you dish and watch another from either source , their are no time shift functions on any live TV input

18. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,239
      I believe the reason Skype isn't available is because with the exception of Samsung (who have paid a bit of money for it) Microsoft have pulled support for it. So how longer we'll see it on older models before it is taken off (like the older YouTube & BBC iPlayer apps) we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    19. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,708
      I thought that might be the case and also explains why built-in cameras have largely been abandoned (well that and the security issues). Shame really as I always liked being able to make Skype video calls from the TV.

20. Devjon

Devjon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      I have the TX-40CX680B, There is no facility to record to USB.

21. philbo1

philbo1
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Hi

Had my TX-50CX680B for about a month or so and am really pleased with it. The 4K content via Youtube is very good - a lot of manufacturer demos and travelogue type videos but picture quality is amazing. My broadband speed is only around 8MB but I don't get any buffering or freezing.

I have had a problem with the free soundbar system (Panasonic offer) that came with the TV (SC-HTB485. It has a wireless sub (bluetooth) and you get the occasional random click (which is loud enough to startle) from the sub. I firstly eliminated and chance of mains born interference, by plugging everything through a mains conditioner (Tachima CS929) and eventually exchanged the unit at John Lewis. They said they had sold a lot of these but had had a few customers with the same issue. The replacement has started doing the same and JL has now said they've started getting reports from other branches. JL tech support has taking this up with Panasonic and are going to get back to me.

Hope this helps.

22. johnjay

johnjay

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +496
      AVF have to hand to you lads, the feature coverage like Smart TV engines is admirable... But not everyone has super fast BB & may be a little frustrated after reading the write-ups, of which we all know hard graft goes into it.
      Steve do you see slow BB as an issue after a successful Smart TV system review, if an owner glances at the scores? Thanks.

23. BigD18t

BigD18t
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,636
      4K works fine on all 3 apps with a small minority of Youtube videos only doing 1080p due to how they are encoded, but they work fine via the browser.

40cx680 is single tuner only so no USB record functions.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    24. BigD18t

BigD18t
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,636
      Speaking with my Pana Rep they are aware of an issue, not sure why it happens, as i have the HTB480 last years version which on paper looks identical except its completely black and it does not pop.

25. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,708
      The scores are for the systems potential, after all there isn't much Panasonic or anyone else can do if the customer doesn't have a very good broadband connection. Although if a system can work with my connection, it'll work with just about anyone's broadband. I'll have to leave it to Phil and Mark to test any 4K capabilities though.

26. Yappa

Yappa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,404
      Thx, that sounds good.
      I had the LG 55EG960 4K OLED TVs for two weeks (returned it due to the near black issues) and really liked how well the Youtube App handled 4K content, so my hope is that it'll also do a good job on on a possible Panasonic OLED TV.

27. BigD18t

BigD18t
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,636
      Hopefully, not sure how the black's will differ being it will use a LG oled panel.

28. PEMBRIDGE

PEMBRIDGE
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I have a Panasonic PVR DMR-BWT720 with which I am generally pleased. However, when I bought it I thought I could add an external HDD/SD and record to it. Silly me! Yes I could but only by "registering " the external drive to the recorder which it first formatted and it could then only be used on that specific machine!
      Have Panasonic now dumped this very restrictive system with external drives and are these now truly portable, please?

29. PEMBRIDGE

PEMBRIDGE
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I should clarify that I'm asking about the new TVs ability to record to external drives!

30. silversurfer24v

silversurfer24v

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +83
      you can only watch things you have recorded to the hard drive on the TV that they were recorded from,