Panasonic Skybox problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by happyh, Oct 10, 2004.

1. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi.
    Have a venerable Panasonic TU-DSB20 skybox which still works well.Have it connected to TV via RGB scart.
    Just bought a Panasonic DVD recorder.Connected it by scart to the digibox VCR port. Only get audio, not video to the DVDR. Have I missed something in setup? Or is the digibow likey to be faulty?
    Thanks for any help

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    which DVD-R suggest you GO SKY RGB DVD-R AV2 and DVD AV1 to TV esp if using Panny or philips DVD-R VCR scart is composite output only designed for VCR use....

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like you've got the DVDR input set to RGB, the VCR output of the Sky box is only composite.

Ideally fit the DVDR between the Sky and the TV or else select composite for the input of the DVDR.

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the panny has RGB on both outputs but

if you press the "TV" button on the sky remote it turns RGB off
    if you press the "SKY" button on the sky remote it turns RGB on

I am assuming you have Services/video/picture settings set to RGB

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    does it really..... Hmm fair enough i didn't know that even i can learn stuff will have to pinch the mother in laws...

6. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys. will reconnect as you suggest.
    The skybox is set to RGB but there is certainly no RGB from the VCR port.

7. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The "TV" button does not turn off the RGB on my Amstrad Sky+ (I don't know about the Panny Skybox) but it activates the blanking pin of the SCART (16 I think) this signals the TV to go to composite. My Panasonic DMR-E55 does not recognise this signal and so still receives RGB even after "TV" has been pressed, this is good because if you are recording and accidentally press "TV" you don't lose the picture. I don't think this applies to many DVDRs but does work on the E55. If the DVDR is in standby this signal is passed thru and the TV will switch to composite.

I would be very suprised if the VCR output of the Panasonic Skybox had RGB as that is incompatible with the bi-directional status of a VCR SCART socket.

On my Panasonic DVDR if you put composite in to AV2 (from the Sky VCR Scart) you will get a blank picture if the AV2 is set to RGB. You will also get a blank picture if the Sky+ Services/video/picture is set to composite and the TV output Scart is used.

The advice is still connect using the TV scart of the Sky box to AV2 DVDR then AV1 to the TV, making sure that all inputs/outputs are set to RGB.

8. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that I have the E55 as well. So I seem to have a choice. Record composite through via VCR scart or RGB via the TV scart.I think I'll go for the former. This allows me to use the sky personal planner to time recordings(The E55 instructions say you cant do this in RGB)Also I like to skip over to sky occasionaly when a DVD is playing and I don't think I can do this with the RGB route without stopping the dvd.

Thanks for your help

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I spent ages getting RGB to work out of my Sky box, as I kept pressing "TV" by mistake and turning te RGB signal off.

10. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thats interesting and would make your box ideal for someone who wanted 2 RGB outputs as it would save them the expense of a splitter. What model is it as I expect you can still pick this model up second hand on EBay even if its no longer sold?

I had a TU-DSB21 and that does not have RGB out (in only) on the second Scart. I don't know whether "TV" turns the RGB off on TV Scart or merely changes the blanking signal as I only noticed this feature of my Sky+ box when using with the DVDR.