1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Sky Digibox

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Gasman, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Gasman

Gasman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I don't know if anyone will be able to help, but I have a panasonic sky digibox, and am emigrating to New Zealand. I was planning to take this with me. They have Sky there, but I have been told that it will not work, after contacting Panasonic UK I was told it can be converted. Is this true, and if so where can I get this done ? I am planning to use SKY as the tuner so that I don't have to convert the TV.
    I hope someone can help.
    Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well the only guy I know that might be able to help you is Martin at Satcure , I'm pretty sure with his technical knowledge and contacts he might have an idea. After all anything can be converted to anything else if you spend enough money:)
    The videoguard hardware will probably be the same but the OS and EPG are going to be different. SKY in New Zealand doesn't use Panasonic digiboxes either so it's looking like a non-starter.

Perhaps it would make more sense to sell off your hardware here and take advantage of any installation offers that are around in NZ. The prices look high over there but converted to UK pounds they suddenly look reasonable:)

3. Gasman

Gasman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst.
    I will try Satcure, but have the feeling that, as you say, the easiest thing will be to buy new when I get over there.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gasman, I will be interested in buying the Panasonic box, should you decide to sell it.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks

DaveP

5. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gasman

I'm fairly sure that your skybox won't work over here. Nor will your TV or VCR as our PAL version is different and we don;t broadcast on the same frequencies.

The good news is that your pounds wll go a long way. Sky digital special offers happen every couple of weeks. Monthly cost is (AFIK) NZ$60 per month.

When are you immigrating and where to? If you're going to Auckland, I can give you the names of a few places that do good prices for AV gear purchases.

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

6. Gasman

Gasman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kiwiranger.
    I think everyone is agreed that the Sat won't work in NZ, however I am planning to use the Sky reciever as a tuner for my TV, so the fact NZ is PAL I shouldn't matter.
    We are moving to Rotorua, but have lived in Auckland before. We do still have friends there, so will be visiting and may need to be making some purchases while there !!!! So any advice on where to visit would be appreciated ! Incidently, do they sell REL subwoofers in NZ, and if so any idea how much a Q150e is ?
    Thanks again for your post, looking forward to living in your beautiful country once again

7. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, I still don't think that your Sky tuner will work. I bought a VCR and TV back with me from London, and the sound system in NZ is 5.5Mhz (or something like that), while the UK one was 6.5. Meant that although I could pick up picture, I had no sound. VCR and TV ended up in skip.

There's a couple of outfits that do high end stereo gear like the REL stuff. One that's got a shop in Rotorua is Eastern Hi-Fi.

I was more involved in the lower end consumer side of stuff and worked for Panasonic NZ for 2 years. I can recommend a couple of good places for deals on TV's, and VCR's which are the things the may need replacing. I note from one of your previous posts that you have a nice Toshiba TV. You may like to check up with Toshiba what frequencies etc it is receptive too. I know that my TV (for example) is a "world" model and can receive UK, Australian and NZ broadcasting freqs.

Cheers

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

8. Gasman

Gasman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,
    I'm planning to get a NZ Sky box. I am hoping I can the use that. Either that or buy a new VCR was the plan. Will that not solve the problem with the TV tuner ?
    I will be able to tell you shortly anyway - the removal firm is coming in 10 days !!
    TTFN
    Martin

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gasman, have you disposed of your current Panasonic?

DaveP

10. Gasman

Gasman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Matey,
    My father-in-law is nabbing it, and have to keep him sweet as I am taking his daughter to the other side of the world !!!
    Regrds
    Martin

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Martin, fair enough!

DaveP

12. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, with a bit of luck, a NZ Sky box or a new VCR will see you right.

Are you having your goods shipped? If so, thats about 8 weeks you'll have to live without.

Good luck with your shift

Chris 'kiwranger' Parke