1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Settings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StuBFrost, Dec 20, 2004.

1. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have just bought a Panasonic E65 and I am not sure about a couple of setttings.

1. What does the comb filter setting actually do ?

2. Is it better to leave the VBR setting to fixed or change to automatic. What is the difference between them ?.

Thanks

Stu

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I have left both these at the default setting, ie comb filter OFF and Fixed bit rate.

The comb filter is an alternative to a notch filter for seperating the luminance and chrominance in composite video. (Sorry but you did ask :) )
    It should, in theory, improve the picture quality of recordings made from the internal tuner of the DVD recorder and you can safely experiment with it if you want to.
    If most recordings are made from an external set top box with RGB (or S-Video) connection the comb filter is unused.

Should you ever decide to import DVD recordings onto a PC for re-authoring, I understand using Variable Bit Rate can cause problems with some DVD authoring software so I have avoided using this to play safe.
    The idea of VBR is to use higher bitrates only where the picture content makes it necessary to avoid unwanted artefacts, making more efficient use of DVD disc capacity.

3. StuBFrost

StuBFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks for the reply.

I won't be using the internal tuner so I will leave comb filter off.

I also intend to import into my PC from DVD-RAM to re-author the content. Any idea which PC programs can cope with VBR ?.

Thanks

Stu

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Not really.

The sticky thread at the top of this page is possibly worth a read to find out more but then you could just save time and leave it set to Fixed. :)