1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Service mode

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steffche, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can help me here.....

A question regarding service mode.
    I have read somewhere here that if you set pic mode to standard and all settings to the middle (ie 50% for brightness, contrast etc...) and then press STR on the front panel, then these settings would be default when you enter service mode. So all the changes you make will affect the mode you will be using when watching dvds.

Last night I did this, and while in service mode I managed to get what I would call a near perfect greyscale, with great range from low blacks right through to the high whites...and very uniform. I was thrilled at how good I managed to get it by eye!

So I then exited from service menu, powered off the plasma, and then turned it back on. The default pic mode was back to dynamic! Ok....so I figured this was set to do so after exiting service mode....but then started to wonder...what mode was it in when I was adjusting the greyscale in service mode....DYnamic or Standard???

I changed it back to standard and put up the greyscale test pattern again...and it didn't look as good as it did when I was in service mode. So I changed it back to dynamic mode...assuming that I had infact been in dynamic mode in the service menu, and it looked great...except I had to dial contrast all the way down to 0. It looked just as it did when I was in service mode......

I don't mind this so much...but I would much prefer to adjust it in standard, and have it default to standard.

Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong here???? :lease: :lease:

2. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually....I just thought of something......does it matter how you exit service menu?? I just turn the power off when Im done with the adjustments....ie, if I happen to be in IIC mode and just finished doing the R Drive adjustment, then I just turn the screen off and back on again....

Somewhere I read that you should get out of IIC mode and scroll down to ID mode...(I think it was ID mode) and THEN turn power off..

Does anyone know if it matter how you exit?

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Steffche, I hope you are using profesional equipment to adjust the grey scale and colour balance :D .
    As far as I am aware, the Viera always goes to dynamic mode when you are entering the service menu. Why this is I have no idear :confused: . You would have thought that ,as you need to make adjustments in there ,that it would default to normal or cinema mode. I have just had mine profesionaly calibrated by gordon from these forums. He had to take readings from the plasma in dynamic mode, then in standard mode, and then when using his equipment allow for the difference between the two.Good job he did as well :thumbsup:
    Is there no one in your neck of the woods that does ISF calibration? I would imagine that you can get reasonable results by eye, but it cant be any substitute for that right equipment.

4. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David,

You're right, I have no doubt that a professional job will be the best...and perhaps shortly I will give in and call in the pro's....it's just that I like to play around with this sort of stuff....and I have to say so far I have made significant improvements in PQ. The idea of having my laptop sit in front of the display with the same greyscale test pattern on it as a reference really helped me heaps. It amazing how easily your eyes are fooled into believing that waht they see is white or grey...but when compared to a real white or real grey, there's a huge difference.

So it seems that there is no way out of this crazy problem of defaulting to dynamic mode then..... What is the STR button for on the front of the panel...?

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have got a feeling that the store button is for when you are manualy setting the tv in to terestrial broadcasts, but I am not one hundred percent sure. It should tell you in the owners manual. I have lost mine :rolleyes:
    All the picture modes can be set to your own preferneces. Normal, cinema, dynamic, can all be changed. The settings stay the way you have put them untill you change them again. Try setting dynamic mode up with dve, or a thx optimiser patteren from the starwars dvds. once this is set, and you go into the service menu again, the default for dynamic should be how you have set it up. I have not tried this myself however so let me know if it works.
    Dave.

6. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if you set all user controls to 50% (except contrast which I put to 30%) press the STR button, and then go into service mode, these settings are retained while you're in service mode. Once you exit (ie, turn plasma off and on again) the user settings go back to factory default (ie, contrast 100% and all others 50%)....however all the other modes (ie, cinema and standard) remain unchanged???).

I seriously can't understand why panasonic would only allow you to go into service mode with the dynamic picture setting....is this supposed to be the best mode? By this I mean...if you put it in standard mode and then go into service mode I believe it still defaults to dynamic.....regardless!

7. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least you guys can access service mode, my piece of :censored: won't let me in :thumbsdow

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    What really bugs me about the 'N' button on the remote and the 'STR' button on the TV is that you cannot change the default settings for contrast/brightness/colour etc., so that if you get the picture just the way you want it, if you accidentally press the 'N' button on the remote control the picture reverts back to factory defaults and your own settings are lost. :rolleyes: I presume it can be changed by playing in the service menu but I don't see why I should have to resort to the service menu just to get my desired settings 'burnt' into memory for default values.

Yet using the STR button on the TV you can set a desired default value for audio volume :confused:

Only a minor niggle but a niggle none the less. :p

S.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    The standard and Dynamic modes are offsets from the base setting in the service mode. You should make adjustments in the service area then exit back to see how they have affected the mode you wish to use for viewing. It takes time and patience but that's how I do it.

Gordon

10. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Gordon and co.
    would you have any recommended contacts in the Chester/Liverpool area for calibrations.
    I have a PW7 and use the JS box for RGB from Sky+ and loop DVD thru it also. I can see the colour/hue isn't perfect just by using the basic THX Opti' on some DVDs but can't do much about it myself - I assume a Pro could sort this?

11. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone answer my query regarding the greyscale and how it looks on a pro cal'd plasma....reddy grey or just colorless grey?

12. ica

ica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    How much does it cost to have a viera profesionaly calibrated?
    Thanks Ian

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    For costs you can email me. I travel throughout UK.

There are no colour or hue adjsutments on an RGB source. Johns Box is accurate I am sure. However I presume if the signal levels going in to it are wrong then what comes out is wrong and to fix that you would need some form of video processor.

Steffche: The problem with answering this is that your perception of whether somethign has a green/red/blue tint changes based on how long you've been looking at an image with a coloured tint. IE Look at something that is extremely bluey white and then look at something that is at correct temp and it will look pinksh.....look at something with really red cast and then look at that correct setting again and this time it'll probably look blue....That's why you need measuring devices or a calibrated reference to compare with.

Gordon

14. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point.

Perhaps it is more important to have the curve right, and all boxes to be graded evenly...

I have noticed with my current RGB settings that a couple of the boxes in teh greyscale test pattern look a little fuzzy....

Could be time to call in the pro's!!!!!!!!!

15. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I couldn't resist......I gave it another go...the greyscale calibration by eye that is.....

Instead of using Title 2 chapter 14 - Greyscale ramp pattern...I used chapters 10 - 13 which have the larger box in teh centre of the screen at different IRE levels (ie, 20% 40% 80% 100%). I figured this was much easier to see....cause they're so much bigger......??

Well I found that I could make much more accurate adjustments...however I could not get both the 20% and 40% ire patterns looking right. Either the 20% was fuzzy and 40% perfect...or the other way around...40% fuzzy and 20% perfect.

Is this a common problem...or am I missing something? I left it with the 40% looking right and figured that most of the viewing would be done around that light level anyway......but still not satisfied.

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Just curious, but what is the picture like in generall? Ie have you sat down and watched a movie on the thing yet? ;) :)

17. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have watched a few movies on it...but mainly live concerts...ie, Sting live in the Ampitheatre.....Toto live in Amsterdam...and a few others.

What I dislike is the amount of background noise that is present in the picture...especially given that most live performances are pretty dark scenes with brightly lit colored spotlights its a real test for the plasma, and it doesn't do too well. Dark blues look a bit fuzzy, and there is a bit of solarization (if thats what its called) like halo's around teh beams of light coming from the colored spot lights. The background is quite dark and exhibits a cloudy muddy sort of picture. If I turn the brightness down a little it is less obvious, but then what does that say for the DVE setup disk??? According to the test patterns the brightness is spot on at 49/100....but the rduction required to eliminate (or reduce ) the amount of background picture noise I have previously mentioned is down to 44/100.

Am I just being too fussy...does anyone else experience the same sort of problem with darkish scenes as I described above???

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I dont think you are gonna get rid of this problem me old mate. I have had my plasma calibrated properly by gordon and this effect is still present. It is one of the draw backs of the plasma tecnology I am sorry to say. I have found though this this effect is reduced when feeding the plasma a good source IE a dvd via componenet inputs.
    Not that it is any consilation but the panasonic pd30 which is one of thier latest CRT televisons also had this problem(and a lot of others as well :D )
    I am fairly certain that the pe30 Viera range although based on the pw6 display pannel also uses some of the acuity procesing of the pd30 crt and that is why we are getting this problem.
    I still stand by my purchase however, I got rid of three difrrent CRT telivisons because of problems I could not put up with. The dirty screen effect, bad geometric errors and screen purity problems. My plasma has none of this with its only main problem being the solorization and colour noise we are both experincing.
    Sorry to say it mate , but it may be time to take a step back from all the calibrating and start to try and enjoy the blooming thing :D (sorry if that sounds a bit patronising :) )

19. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was playing around in the Service meny 1 yesterday. I found that increasing the video gain to 31 gave a wonderful result of PQ. Please try it, the deafault value on my Viera was 23...