Panasonic server and Samsung smart TV

Splashed

Standard Member
Every DLNA device we have recognises the NAS and the Panasonic BWT720 box as DLNA servers except our new Samsung TV (UE40F6670) which only sees the NAS.

Has anyone managed to get a Samsung TV to see a Panasonic box over a network?

Appreciate any advice or help.

next010

Distinguished Member
Samsung use a custom version of DLNA, it only works with DLNA servers that have specific device profiles for Samsung TV's.

Samsung appear to be getting worse each year, older models at least worked with other DLNA servers partially without needing a profile but over the years you now need a profile just to connect to it.

Panasonic are the only ones who can address this as it's their own in-house DLNA server.

Splashed

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply - I can't see Panasonic doing anything to fix the isue in an obsolete machine. So much for DLNA being a standard though when the manufacturers are developing their own version!

It's always interesting when a manufacturers tries to influence the market by making their kit incompatible with others, the thinking being that that will force you to buy more of their brand. Rarely works.

next010

Distinguished Member
DLNA standards mean nothing (think of it as a loose guideline), the DLNA alliance is funded by companies like Samsung so they rubber stamp anything that comes across their desk. If it truly was a standard DLNA servers wouldn't need compatibility profiles, it's not just to connect but often smaller things like pause/rewind etc are broken too.

I doubt you will ever get Samsung to play ball, your best bet is getting onto Panasonic and ask to them to test against recent Samsung TV's.

There already was a media streaming standard before DLNA, UPnP but some of the companies wanted to chop and change it so went off and formed DLNA.

In fact there is another in development too, this time from cable set top box providers, this xkcd comic nicely sums up the debacle;

Splashed

Standard Member
Crikey! If it's as loose as that, rather than being disappointed that the Samsung TV doesn't see the Panasonic PVR, I should be grateful that the Sony TV, Marantz music player, Denon AV receiver, Sony media player and assorted Kindle/Ipad/Ipod/Android apps (the kids) do see it.

Thanks for the advice. I've sent Panasonic an email. If I get anything of worth back, I'll post it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom