1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic series 7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StooMonster, Apr 9, 2004.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Isn't it about that time of year? When will we get the press releases with the specs of the Panasonic annual plasma upgrades?

Any shockers in series 7, or incremental upgrade, what's your view?

StooMonster

2. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i know nothing yet im afraid, the 37PE30 and 42PE30 are going to be on the shelves very soon (integrated tuner) but no panels as such yet.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the word around here is that i will be a while before we hear anything.... with the prices the 6 series are going at, im not too fussed! :D

ad

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Actually, i think it's more May and possibley even June for Press Release, then July/August for public showing and demos then September/October for retail.

Wonder if they have new Silicon Image HDMI chipsets and are able to accept 50Hz digital signals?

Also accepting 48Hz digital signals would be great, because then I could continue to use iScan HD to convent Region1 DVD to 48Hz and be free of the horrible 3:2 pull-down stutter.

What I would really like is a new resolution -- big change -- to 1920x1080 for the HD models. I would buy one immediately if this were the case, although perhaps that will be series 8 and 2005.

StooMonster

5. gfreek

gfreek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi guys, yes panasonic will be launching the PW7 series plasma later on the year (4th quarter) the good news is their will be a 65''inch model as well as a 37'' inch, the HD versions of these models (i.e. 42'',50'',65'') will support HDMI.:clap:

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    If I knew the 65" versions were 1920x1080 I would place my order now.

If they are still only 1366x768 then we have to hope that the HDMI supports 50Hz (and 48Hz too) at that resolution.

StooMonster

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    are they gonna increase the pixel resolution on the 37 or 42" I wonder?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, not this year or next. I'd put money on it if I had any left...

9. gfreek

gfreek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    StooMonster at the moment i can't confirm the resolution on the 65'', the details i have are tentative they are subject to change. the pixel count on the 65'' is 1366x768, i hope panasonic change that to 1920x1080 near release date.
    MAW as i'am in the trade of selling plasma's, i can tell you this we get go to trade shows and not just see new products but get details of forthcoming products well before release dates 6-9 month's advance.therfore i will give you more details as and when i get them.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yeah, you might notice I sell them for a living, go to the shows etc. I will wait till tuesday to ask for a definitive answer on the 65", but I'll bet on 1366x768

11. gfreek

gfreek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    MAW yes i know you are retailer then you should have the same details as me i.e. prehaps a panasonic trade catalogue and as i have already stated the 65'' will be 1366x768, i just hope panasonic changes that to 1920x1080 as SAMSUNG & LG will be releasing 80'', 76'' plasmas with 1920x1080 towards the end of the year, i know why dont i go for SAMSUNG or LG but i would prefer to go for japanese brand (panasonic,pioneer,fujitsihitachi) plasma with 1920x1080 resolution because personaly i think in terms of quality they are way ahead of the koreans.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello all

Just a quick update for now - not much new info around at present.

Series 7 Display models are due for launch in September - though no dates fixed as yet.

The 65" model is more likely to be December or January and it is 1366x768.

One interesting point I have picked up being that the new Series 7 models will be immune to screen burn ''to CRT levels' - not sure what that means but it sounds like we are again looking at evolutionary models that are dealing with known issues rather than anything ground breaking.

Strangely enough Pioneer have also made claims about minimising the risk of screen burn with the new MXE1 range - Pioneer have a new 'Linear' brightness mode that will again all but eliminate the screen burn issue; maybe not ideal for 'optimum' movie viewing - possibly we need an automatic 'PowrRangers' mode for when the wee people are watching.

Best regards

Joe

13. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Care about country? But holy pants alight, 80" plasma at 1920x1080! Now we are talking.

:censored: A

StooMonster

14. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  15. jadziedzic

jadziedzic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea if the 7 series will provide discrete remote codes for all functions - especially input switching (unlike the 6 series)?

I'm almost ready to buy a 6 series, but it sounds like there might be some advantages to waiting a few more months...

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    just as i was thinking of getting a pany 6 series i read this thread ! as i will not be buying for a few months ie june ish will it be worth me waiting to get the 7 series in sept (so claimed release). i will have the panel for a while and the thing that is making me want to wait is HD. i have little or no knowledge of this area (plasma) but as it will be alot of ££ being spent i would have the panel for a few years and would need it capable of HDTV etc when we eventually embrace it in uk! so is it worth me waiting ??? as i know models like pio 434HDE will support my needs now but after seeing a PW6 with my own eyes the black levels are spot on and hopefully that will cont. with the 7 series ? any advice will be most appreciated !

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll wait at least 3 months longer, and the issue really is, how much better will the 7 series be than the 6? The 6 is just better than the 5, when seen side by side. It will probably be just the same with the 7, maybe less so. There is after all less room for improvement.

18. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    well if its the same as 6 series with HD compatability i think i will be happy with it. just have to wait to see the screen in action me thinks. thanks 4 input

19. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The standard models wont be anymore HD compatible than the 6 series I believe (i.e. the resolution is not changing)

ad

20. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Or than the 5 series, or the 4 series.

Remember Panasonic are creating a new plasma series every year, you could say same for series 4, or 5, or 6, or 7, or 8 (next year); follows this pattern:

April = first information
    May = press releases
    Sept = available in limited numbers
    Oct = generally available except larger screens
    Nov/Dec = larger screens available too
    Six months later = begin again

It you are always waiting for "better", it will never arrive; there is always new kit on the horizon.

What's annoying with these Panny series, is the HDMI compatibility is down to an expansion card -- but they choose not to make input cards for older models, when it would be very simple for them to do so.

StooMonster

21. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Stoo,

How did you get on with the DVI boards and the retrofitting?

22. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Understandable really..... there is absolutely zero profit to be made from old (already purchased) displays. Having compatibility only with new displays is going to persuade some people to upgrade..... and hence profit! :D

ad

23. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Got all the boards on loan (must remember to return them), got all the circuit and engineering diagrams of boards and plasmas, concluded that logically should be dead easy to plug one into the other...

...but...

...impossible to get hold of Panasonic proprietary connectors.

I was planning on making a cable from connector of series 6 DVI card to the internal terminal card connector of series 5, but without connectors 'tis impossible.

Only solution is to hardwirie and one doesn't want to be doing do that, or desolding connectors from series 5 boards and then hardwiring that to series 6 board (but that's messing and expensive too).

Sigh, it's annoying because it should be so simple to do too.

As discussed in another post, I agree with buns when he says that it's not in their interests to make cards backwardly comaptible -- so you series 6 owners hoping that series 7 cards will work in your screen better not be holding your breath. Perhaps keeping your fingers crossed will pay dividends.

StooMonster

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's about all you can do. They might not bother to change the architecture, but then I don't think the Japanese have the same proverb as us, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'. They seem to do it simply to get people to upgrade.

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    BauerCTU

Just to reiterate what others have said - the 6 Series includes three 'Displays'; though you would be forgiven if you thought there were only two:

TH-50PHD6BX - 1366x768 pixels
    TH-42PHD6BX - 1024 x768 pixels
    TH-42PWD6BX - 852x480 pixels

All three will handle the majority of HD signals up to 1080p - with more or less Down Conversion depending on the resolution of the Display.

For PC and HD work the more pixels you have the less info your display will throw away so I tend to favour the PHD models over the PWD model.

The 7 Series will offer incremental changes over the 6 Series though the changes wont necessarily result in a better image on screen as some of the changes that are pegged for inclusion into the new range are more about operational issues - I believe for example that for those that like to tinker there is a new 'safe mode' for those moments when your messing about in the Service menu and hit the wrong key and completely knacker your display!

Best regards

Joe

26. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    At present then there are no panasonic displays that accept native rez or near as (maybe a couple of pixels overscan) via DVI input (HDCP compliant) ?

Is this correct?

Steve.

27. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No - the 50" accepts native resolution at 60Hz. I don't have an HDCP source, but it claims to be complaint.

It seems to only have a problem with lower resolutions, as used on the smaller screens.

28. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    surely even the lower res panels can take a native dvi signal at 60Hz. the issue is that they cannot do it at any other frequencies.

ad

29. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I believe this to be the case.

30. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Someone claimed to have programmed the Panny 6 series DVI card to accept different frequencies, is this easily done?