1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Series 5 (6) variations

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by villaceltic, Jul 22, 2003.

1. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain to me, as a total novice, what the variations are in the model numbers for the Panasonic 5 series. So far I've seen a TH -42 PW5B, D5, D5V and HD5. The guy in the @panasonic shop tried to tell me that different retailers might add their own variations to the model number but that basically there was just 2 and that was all they would be stocking as per manufacturers 'numbering'. I said that I thought that the HD derivative was high def but he looked at me blankly.

Basically having read most of the Panasonic 6 threads I'm more than interested but don't really now know which is the model I should be looking for (and am totally lost when it comes to the various connections). Again the guy in the shop thought that the 6 was coming with a built in tuner but later said that if I wanted to avoid all of the cabling from the various components that I should buy the Panasonic tuner (£500) and plug everything in the back of that.

I basically am after one that I can hook up to the Pace box, DVD, terrestrial TV (or is that a no-go) and use my existing Receiver/Speakers for the sound. (the Skybox also outputs to 4 other TV's around the house so if I rely on that as my only form of 'TV' it will presumably mean that everyone will have to watch whatever Sky is set to on that plasma - for the sky channel at least)

Any advice for the plasma set up novice?

Cheers

Macca

2. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Macca

You're best bet is to go to a dealer who knows what they are talking about. I would suggest some of the companies who advertise on these forums. You will get loads of feedback from forum member on companies such as nexnix, ivojo, tmfsolutions (sorry if i've missed a few). These guys seem to care that you get the right panel but also will demo based on the kit you will be using. This is paramount in my view, because we all have an opinion. Take it from somone who bought a 5 series panel and regrets it, its worth travelling to get a demo and being assured of your purchase.

Hope this helps.

Warren

3. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PWarren. I don't actually intend buying from this place given the prices that they were still displaying for the 5 series but I did expect to speak to people who knew something about their products - this was a shop@panasonic place and I thought they'd be a rung or 2 above Curry's etc. I just wanted to see the thing 'in the flesh'

Macca

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Macca,

The silver "consumer" panel is the PW5B or the new PW6B.
    The charcoal "commercial" panel is the PWD5 or the new PWD6.

The new 6 series panels have a much better choice of input boards with 3 slots now on the panel. Have a look at one of the forum sponsor's site at www.av-sales.com/plasma for more info on the series 6 plasmas. The upcoming HD panel is the 42PHD6 which will replace the current 42PHD5. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Steve,

What's the difference then between Consumer and commercial other than Charcoal vs Silver and about £300 (according to AV-Sales prices)?

Macca

6. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    [Sorry to hijack in on your thread but...] How come the input boards are so expensive? I mean, £130 for a single scart socket!?!?!? :eek:

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Macca,

Not a lot! The commercial one comes with (superior) BNC connectors instead of the RCA ones on the consumer version.

LDJ - You're not kidding! And why couldn't they have put 2 Scarts on there? That DVI board could also fit another on there or even 2 HDMIs. D'oh, good ol' Panasonic. :rolleyes:

Steve