Panasonic SD700 or TM700

Cobb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my 1st HD camcorder. At first i wasn't going to spend over £400 but now i'm thinking i'd rather buy something that i won't want to upgrade for a long time.

I bought an iMac a few weeks ago and i've been reading that a lot of camcorders arn't that compatible. I think most editing will be done on iMovie 09 and eventually i'll venture into something a bit more serious like Final Cut etc

Looking around on Youtube i really like the look of the SD700 and TM700. Is there much of a difference between the two? Currys are doing the SD700 for £729 and the TM700 for around £776 so i'm wondering if the extra £40 odd is worth it.

I'm a complete camcorder novice so any input would be great!

Cheers

I think the only difference is that the TM has internal memory you can record to
The advantage is that if you run out of removable memory you can use it
I think its worth the extra given how much your outlay is already

Im unsure i movie can cope with it at 1080/50p

I'm looking to buy my 1st HD camcorder. At first i wasn't going to spend over £400 but now i'm thinking i'd rather buy something that i won't want to upgrade for a long time.

I bought an iMac a few weeks ago and i've been reading that a lot of camcorders arn't that compatible. I think most editing will be done on iMovie 09 and eventually i'll venture into something a bit more serious like Final Cut etc

Looking around on Youtube i really like the look of the SD700 and TM700. Is there much of a difference between the two? Currys are doing the SD700 for £729 and the TM700 for around £776 so i'm wondering if the extra £40 odd is worth it.

I'm a complete camcorder novice so any input would be great!

Cheers
tm700 has a 32GB internal memory similar to a hard drive the HS700 has an acutal 240GB hard drive the sd700 does not is uses sd cards only.. thats the only difference, ( i use an SD700 as it was cheaper and lighter and dosent have internal memory to break, its easy to replace an SD card..
dont think a mac likes 50p files, you will need to convert them unless thats changed.

Last edited:
tm700 has a hard drive the sd700 does not is uses sd cards only.. thats the only difference, dont think a mac likes 50p files, you will need to convert them unless thats changed.
it is the HS model that has a HDD Rob

I opted for the HS model with the HDD built in, when i felt it in the panasonic shop it just felt right, it was expensive though but no fraffing about with SD cards unless i want to use them too, its so much easier using a HDD and it works at high altitudes too unlike some HDD camcorders. We took it up Ben Nevis with us and it worked flawlessly. :)

I opted for the HS model with the HDD built in, when i felt it in the panasonic shop it just felt right, it was expensive though but no fraffing about with SD cards unless i want to use them too, its so much easier using a HDD and it works at high altitudes too unlike some HDD camcorders. We took it up Ben Nevis with us and it worked flawlessly. :)
They seem to work well but if money is tight you don't lose any quality by opting for card only and you do have less battery drain . Horses for courses:)
You can still use a HDD model mainly with cards and only use the HDD whem pushed but then the TM version is best of both worlds in a sense

:confused:

Why the man likes his HDD model and has said why;)
I actually have a small 120Gb HDD model Sony Xr200 here with me for quick videos .. its not bad although it doesnt like low light:rolleyes:

saying that how common a problem is that?;)
why spend more money and run the risk ? I have Never had an SD card fail yet, but if I did, it would not be that big a deal.
I can honnestly see the day when there will be no internal memory at all.. esspecially when 2TB SDXC cards become available.

I would go for the SD700.
In fact its much cheaper on Amazon - £566!!
The price fell from £613 just in the last few days. I would wait until just after Xmas when I reckon it will drop a little more ;)

I would go for the SD700.
In fact its much cheaper on Amazon - £566!!
The price fell from £613 just in the last few days. I would wait until just after Xmas when I reckon it will drop a little more ;)

dammit ! i recently just bought another one at £613 from amazon :rolleyes: nevermind :hiya:

The price has jumped back up to £675!!!

Damn it - I knew I should have ordered!!!

The £675 price on Amazon is by a trader named 'PurelyGadgets'.
If you go to their own website instead, they have the same item for £580!! lol

Not sure if I would trust them though as Ive never used them.

Amazon do still sell the SD700, but its just under £575 - so still a pretty decent price.
Only problem is they have none in stock and estimate dispatch in 3-5 weeks!

Ive just ordered one - can always cancel the order easily online if I find another deal in the meantime!

Hence, dont buy the camcorder at over £700, when you can get it MUCH cheaper online. Just search around a little and ensure you purchase froma trusted source - it may not always be the cheapest but better to be safe then sorry!
At £700 you could get the SD700, a 32GB SD card and spare battery!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom