• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic SD700 or TM700

Cobb

Distinguished Member
I'm looking to buy my 1st HD camcorder. At first i wasn't going to spend over £400 but now i'm thinking i'd rather buy something that i won't want to upgrade for a long time.

I bought an iMac a few weeks ago and i've been reading that a lot of camcorders arn't that compatible. I think most editing will be done on iMovie 09 and eventually i'll venture into something a bit more serious like Final Cut etc

Looking around on Youtube i really like the look of the SD700 and TM700. Is there much of a difference between the two? Currys are doing the SD700 for £729 and the TM700 for around £776 so i'm wondering if the extra £40 odd is worth it.

I'm a complete camcorder novice so any input would be great!

Cheers

senu

Distinguished Member
I think the only difference is that the TM has internal memory you can record to
The advantage is that if you run out of removable memory you can use it
I think its worth the extra given how much your outlay is already

Im unsure i movie can cope with it at 1080/50p

rob12770

Banned
I'm looking to buy my 1st HD camcorder. At first i wasn't going to spend over £400 but now i'm thinking i'd rather buy something that i won't want to upgrade for a long time.

I bought an iMac a few weeks ago and i've been reading that a lot of camcorders arn't that compatible. I think most editing will be done on iMovie 09 and eventually i'll venture into something a bit more serious like Final Cut etc

Looking around on Youtube i really like the look of the SD700 and TM700. Is there much of a difference between the two? Currys are doing the SD700 for £729 and the TM700 for around £776 so i'm wondering if the extra £40 odd is worth it.

I'm a complete camcorder novice so any input would be great!

Cheers
tm700 has a 32GB internal memory similar to a hard drive the HS700 has an acutal 240GB hard drive the sd700 does not is uses sd cards only.. thats the only difference, ( i use an SD700 as it was cheaper and lighter and dosent have internal memory to break, its easy to replace an SD card..
dont think a mac likes 50p files, you will need to convert them unless thats changed.

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
tm700 has a hard drive the sd700 does not is uses sd cards only.. thats the only difference, dont think a mac likes 50p files, you will need to convert them unless thats changed.
it is the HS model that has a HDD Rob

Oakey22

Standard Member
I opted for the HS model with the HDD built in, when i felt it in the panasonic shop it just felt right, it was expensive though but no fraffing about with SD cards unless i want to use them too, its so much easier using a HDD and it works at high altitudes too unlike some HDD camcorders. We took it up Ben Nevis with us and it worked flawlessly. :)

senu

Distinguished Member
I opted for the HS model with the HDD built in, when i felt it in the panasonic shop it just felt right, it was expensive though but no fraffing about with SD cards unless i want to use them too, its so much easier using a HDD and it works at high altitudes too unlike some HDD camcorders. We took it up Ben Nevis with us and it worked flawlessly. :)
They seem to work well but if money is tight you don't lose any quality by opting for card only and you do have less battery drain . Horses for courses:)
You can still use a HDD model mainly with cards and only use the HDD whem pushed but then the TM version is best of both worlds in a sense

rob12770

Banned

:confused:

senu

Distinguished Member
Why the man likes his HDD model and has said why;)
I actually have a small 120Gb HDD model Sony Xr200 here with me for quick videos .. its not bad although it doesnt like low light:rolleyes:

rob12770

Banned
saying that how common a problem is that?;)
why spend more money and run the risk ? I have Never had an SD card fail yet, but if I did, it would not be that big a deal.
I can honnestly see the day when there will be no internal memory at all.. esspecially when 2TB SDXC cards become available.

D

Deleted member 480461

I would go for the SD700.
In fact its much cheaper on Amazon - £566!!
The price fell from £613 just in the last few days. I would wait until just after Xmas when I reckon it will drop a little more ;)

rob12770

Banned
I would go for the SD700.
In fact its much cheaper on Amazon - £566!!
The price fell from £613 just in the last few days. I would wait until just after Xmas when I reckon it will drop a little more ;)

dammit ! i recently just bought another one at £613 from amazon :rolleyes: nevermind :hiya:

D

Deleted member 480461

The price has jumped back up to £675!!!

Damn it - I knew I should have ordered!!!

D

Deleted member 480461

The £675 price on Amazon is by a trader named 'PurelyGadgets'.
If you go to their own website instead, they have the same item for £580!! lol

Not sure if I would trust them though as Ive never used them.

Amazon do still sell the SD700, but its just under £575 - so still a pretty decent price.
Only problem is they have none in stock and estimate dispatch in 3-5 weeks!

Ive just ordered one - can always cancel the order easily online if I find another deal in the meantime!

Hence, dont buy the camcorder at over £700, when you can get it MUCH cheaper online. Just search around a little and ensure you purchase froma trusted source - it may not always be the cheapest but better to be safe then sorry!
At £700 you could get the SD700, a 32GB SD card and spare battery!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom