Panasonic SD600

numanchris

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just looking for some advice, I am considering purchasing the Panasonic SD600 camcorder and need to make sure it will work on my editing software(Powerdirector 8) with no major troubles,

so is there anywhere I can download a 'sample' video from the camcorder? i.e. a raw file straight form the camera, so I can test it out on the software,

also, if anyone has any views on the camera they would be greatfully recieved:smashin:

kind thanks,
Chris:)

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice, I am considering purchasing the Panasonic SD600 camcorder and need to make sure it will work on my editing software(Powerdirector 8) with no major troubles,

so is there anywhere I can download a 'sample' video from the camcorder? i.e. a raw file straight form the camera, so I can test it out on the software,

also, if anyone has any views on the camera they would be greatfully recieved:smashin:

kind thanks,
Chris:)

download this footage , i shot it on an sd700, but the footage is the same as the sd600

it is shot at 50P , i dont know if Powerdirector can handle 50p, I know it does do AVCHD,
can you please tell us if it works whith the footage i shot
cheers.:smashin:
ps. you will need a fast PC to edit 50p footage smoothly

Would also appreciate people's view of the SD600. I cant decide if to buy now or wait and hope the price drops in the Jan sales.

Amazon have it at £412 and you get a £30 gift certificate as well.

Would also appreciate people's view of the SD600. I cant decide if to buy now or wait and hope the price drops in the Jan sales.

Amazon have it at £412 and you get a £30 gift certificate as well.

TBH, its a good camera, but id say spring for the SD700 as it has manual controls, an electronic viewfinder, a shoe, a mic in and ear out..all round more usefull camera. amazon were doing it for abot £550 ish, but out of stock at the mo.

Hiya, sorry for the late reply but I downloaded the footage and it worked okay in cyberlink and looked good when uploaded to youtube but that wasn't a raw file I dont think:smashin:

Hi guys,
Sorry for jumping on this thread, but it seems that we all have the same problems and questions in mind.
I am planning to buy either the HDC SD700 or SD600 and am concerned about the editing capabilities of computer software for 1080p (1080/50p).
I generally record 1-2 hours of filming, and then use Windows Movie Maker to stitch together various sections to make a 5-10 minute movie. In this way I get a "taster movie" which I save as a WMV file (to burn onto DVD) and generally discard the original camera files. In the past this has all been Standard Definition recording, (AVI files).

Now stepping up to the newer technology, I would like to do the same with a new HD camera. I like the idea of storing the files on SD cards, and then importing them into my PC to edit the full footage into a smaller clip.

1. Which editing software currently deals efficiently with 1080p recordings? Which one is easiest to use (bear in mind I have only been working WMM)?
2. What is the recommendation for PC capability in order to edit these 1080p recordings?
3. Which SD card would be best - SDHC or SDXC? What is the difference and what card rating would be best?
4. Once you have your final HD movie on your PC, can you still burn it to a standard def DVD and watch it in a standard DVD player? If yes, will the quality be terrible? As I don't yet have a HD DVD or Blu-ray player, I hope my old DVD will make do before I upgrade.

Obviously I want to be prepared for changes in the future to technology. I would imagine that if there is not sufficient software currently available (Dec 2010) to edit 1080p recordings efficiently, then the best idea with the SD700 would be to record in 1080i. Then, when better software appears on the market, switch your camera from 1080i to 1080p. Failing all of that, is there a comparable camera without flash memory (records onto SD cards) that just records in 1080i. My thinking is that this would be cheaper for a few years before we upgrade.

I would really appreciate any of you advice of the above; it seems that you all have experience that I could really benefit from.
Many thanks in advance (and sorry that I'm posting to such an old thread).
Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom