• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic SD600 service manual

Chelters

Established Member
I thought I read a post on here (I've searched but had no joy) where someone was asking for a Panny service manual, perhaps not the SD600, and someone had replied in a positive vein.

I wanted to look into the possibility of hacking an external mic socket on the one I have, figuring I'd essentially have to intercept the cable to the internal mics. Trouble is the case seems quite resistant to my attempts to open it :( without resorting to brute force.

So if anyone can help me out by either explaining how to remove the casing, I'd be very grateful.

Gramuk

Established Member

Chelters

Established Member
Gramuk, I found that site the other day but all I get is a message that my (up to date) browsers (Firefox,Opera,Iron) are not suitable. I will not use Internet Explorer as that is always being exploited by some websites and I have a suspicion that this site may be attempting such a exploit.

But thanks for trying anyway. :thumbsup:

Gramuk

Established Member
Chelters, I have downloaded that PDF and it looks like quite a comprehensive manual. I could e-mail it to you if you wanted it or if there's somewhere to upload it to? It's 4Mb in size. Have to say that I've downloaded a few files from that site over the years and never had any issues - Kaspersky and Norton do not see any issues with it etc. But of course I understand your fears. Not sure if the PM's on this forum allow attachments or I could give you temporary access to my home server etc. - Just let me know. Cheers, Graeme

Chelters

Established Member
Thanks again Gramuk, but I think it is all in hand, I've had an offer from another member via PM to email it to me in the morning. Once again though thank you for looking into this for me.

Gramuk

Established Member
No worries - don't go breaking that SD600 of yours.
Good Luck!

12harry

Distinguished Member
Chelters, that reads like a good idea..if you can do it without blowing the thing up. You may know, but you'll need a very small soldering iron and ideally take antistatic prcautions. The ext socket needs to be "switched stereo" so both internal mics are disconnected, but there might be some advantage in only interupting one channel - however, neither will remove the AGC circuitry (but maybe in the "Menu"? ).

Can't wait for your Report.

Chelters

Established Member
Having had a good look at the service manual it's clear that it will be a bit more involved than I imagined :(
I was rather hoping the mics would be connected to a PCB via a ribbon, which I could order a replacement part and perform surgery on that, then plug it in in the camera. However the mics are on a PCB that contains the pre-amps and zoom and photo controllers. Unsoldering the mics from the PCB will put a lot of heat stress on other components and of course the mics will then need to be fitted in a different position to allow for the extra wires.

I think a Zoom H1 will be an easier (& more versitile) alternative.

12harry

Distinguished Member
I use a PalmTrack (now discontinued) and can confirm it's pretty convenient for making audio-only recordings (eg Pub-chatter, restaurants etc.). These can be done just walking through, or leave it on a chair whilst reading the menu, stretching this to a full minute is hardly difficult and you can loop the recording....

Shame about the ext socket, as you have seen the cost to the Manufacturer would be pretty small . . . but the children in the Marketing Department aren't making films.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom