• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic SD60 Camcorder: Couple of quick basic questions!

Paul MC007

Hi all

Just a couple of really basic questions that I hope someone might be kind enough to answer for me:

Thinking of getting the Panasonic SD60 Hi-Def Camcorder - it seems to get really good reviews at a fairly decent price.

Now, only having ever owned SD mini-dv models in the past leaves me a little blind to memory card camcorders and HD.

So my questions are:

1) How much hi-def (at top rate) can you record onto various memory cards - say 16gb for example? Whatever the answer to this is, would you just double this for a 32gb?

2) Whilst I have a HD-TV I don't have any way of storing the HD material, other than keeping the memory cards and keep buying new ones (I presume this is the only way of keeping HD stuff if you don't want to go down the pc route etc)? Therefore, is it easy (and possible?) to plug the camcorder into the front of my DVD recorder (which is a fairly modern Panasonic XW380 - can record freeview HD on to the internal HDD but not to disc) and make a SD down converted copy of any HD stuff that I shoot?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

senu

Distinguished Member
Hi all

Just a couple of really basic questions that I hope someone might be kind enough to answer for me:

Thinking of getting the Panasonic SD60 Hi-Def Camcorder - it seems to get really good reviews at a fairly decent price.

Now, only having ever owned SD mini-dv models in the past leaves me a little blind to memory card camcorders and HD.

So my questions are:

1) How much hi-def (at top rate) can you record onto various memory cards - say 16gb for example? Whatever the answer to this is, would you just double this for a 32gb?
Its best to get an SD60 manual and check Ive seen it linked somewhere unless a user here can tell you but yes a double sized card should take double the data

Whilst I have a HD-TV I don't have any way of storing the HD material, other than keeping the memory cards and keep buying new ones (I presume this is the only way of keeping HD stuff if you don't want to go down the pc route etc)?
No you can and should store the files on HDD, whether on a PC or not and even if you dont want to go down the PC route , you may have no choice .. just to stor the footage onto Ext HDD
Cards are not as cheap as MiniDv tapes and are meant to be reused

Therefore, is it easy (and possible?) to plug the camcorder into the front of my DVD recorder (which is a fairly modern Panasonic XW380 - can record freeview HD on to the internal HDD but not to disc) and make a SD down converted copy of any HD stuff that I shoot?
Yes but it that easy ( as SD via composite analogue :rolleyes:) .. unless you want to keep that HD footage on cards :cool:

What is possible is to buy a media player like WDTV LIVE and play the HD clips to your HDTV through it from USB storage .. Even small Ext HDD

Last edited:

Paul MC007

Its best to get an SD60 manual and check Ive seen it linked somewhere unless a user here can tell you but yes a double sized card should take double the data

No you can and should store the files on HDD, whether on a PC or not and even if you dont want to go down the PC route , you may have no choice .. just to stor the footage onto Ext HDD
Cards are not as cheap as MiniDv tapes and are meant to be reused

Yes but it that easy ( as SD via composite analogue :rolleyes:) .. unless you want to keep that HD footage on cards :cool:

What is possible is to buy a media player like WDTV LIVE and play the HD clips to your HDTV through it from USB storage .. Even small Ext HDD

Thanks for your response.....

I've got an external HDD 250gb, so presumably I could download the footage to this...how would I get this to play through my tv though (if I had the footage on the external HDD) - it's an iomega 250gb external USB connecting HDD. My television is a Panasonic V20 Plasma - it does have USB sockets, so is it likely to recognise the footage on this straight away if I plugged it in to the tv (the HDD external drive that is?)

Thanks for any help again - really appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom