Panasonic SD5, SX5 or SD9...push in the right direction

takes2long

Standard Member
Hi
It's going to be one of these....I promise

SD5
SD9
SX5

I think my main concerns are vewing and copying the video from the SD memory card. I have read a lot of posts and I think a lot of people have this worry.
My sony viao desk top is about four years old and I don't think it, or come to think of it me, are up to the task.

Do I go for the SX5 to make this easy or am I being a big girls blouse?

Do I need to worry about burning to Dvd at all or are the memory cards a safe storage format? SD5 or SD9 ??

I have held back on getting a blue ray player until the Cam was sorted and believe a PS3 would solve a lot of probs.

As far as I can tell if I get the 60GB PS3 it will play video from the SD card, play AVCHD dvds and store video on its hard drive. is this right?

I have looked at the Panasonic DVD burner but it's another £150 and I would still have to get a Blue Ray player, I think it's all a bit messy having to connect burner to camera then to plasma to watch the video.

So that is my problem. I have read so much on this site that my brain has gone to mush. To be honest I think the SD5 is the one for me but I know what I'm like and I will get the SD9 because it's new, I'll get a PS3 and maybe the burner thing in the future when price has come down.
Having read back my essay I have no idear how anyone will answer, but if you do many thanks.

I would appreciate your views, but please don't suggest any other cameras as my brain will just shut down.

Cheers
Matthew

redsox_mark

Novice Member
I think my main concerns are vewing and copying the video from the SD memory card. I have read a lot of posts and I think a lot of people have this worry.

Copying from the card to PC is easy. Connect the camcorder to the PC, or simply stick the card in a card reader. You need a fast PC to edit and play, but to copy the files (and even to burn them to a disc) most any PC should do.

Do I need to worry about burning to Dvd at all or are the memory cards a safe storage format? SD5 or SD9 ??

You need to worry about backing up to some other media; I wouldn't want to use a memory card long term as my only copy. Also they make an expensive storage media. But you could use multiple HDDs and back them up there.

From your list I'd go SD5 or SD9, it comes down to budget. SD5 is discontinued, but there are bargins now.

rhubarbe

Banned
There was a mint, used twice, SD5 in the classifieds on here yesterday at an asking price of £280.

Bargain.

jynormous

Standard Member
I got my SD5 from amazon and it arrived yesterday.

Its a great unit and one which will last me well for a few years.

I would go SD5 all the way.

takes2long

Standard Member
Thanks very much gentlemen. Great advice. Just got myself a three month old SD5 off E-bay for £275 inc p+p and a 8GB SD card and reader thrown in.

My next question is about the Panasonic burner VW-BN1E and the Panasonic 40GB hard drive storage VW-PT2

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VW-...Camcorders/dp/B000XPJHSS/ref=pd_sim_p_title_3

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_p?url=search-alias=photo&field-keywords=VW-pt2&x=13&y=14

I'm off to the Mexico in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I could get myself a bargin and pick up a least the burner at a much cheeper price($149.88 on Amazon.com) or does the "PAL thing" play a part on burners and hard drive storage as well.

Again I thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Regards Matthew

wigwam12

Novice Member
bugger. I seem to have missed that one!
Only fleabay one I saw started at £275 and ended at £390 so finally bit the bullet and spent £350 at Amazon.
You lucky so-and-so!

takes2long

Standard Member
I bid on that one. It's back on there again now. silly bidding, seller relisted due to time waister, £390 was well over the top. just got lucky with this one. :clap:

takes2long

Standard Member
Hi

Got my sd5 on Tueasday but unfortunately the 8 GB memory card which was surposed to be inclueded was left out. This was posted to me on Tuesday when the seller realised the problem.
The card has not arrived.
I now find myself two days til my hols with no memory cards. I ment to order a couple of 4GB ones of Amazon but with work commitments and chasing up the Ebay seller I just didn't get round to it.
I now find myself looking at paying rip off Comet/Currys prices.

Any body got any idears where I can get some reasonably priced?
Will they be cheeper when I get to the duty free part of the Airport?

regards Matthew

takes2long

Standard Member
Ramsgate
Kent

rhubarbe

Banned
Ah, just about as far away from me as you could get.

Maybe one of the guys has a spare one who is close enough for you to drive to.

I expect that they will be cheaper airside but that still isn't likely to represent good value for money.

When do you go on holiday?

takes2long

Standard Member
I fly tuesday morning. It's my own fault as I just didn't get round to it. I think I will buy a 4GB to get me started and then buy at airport or in Mexico. I would imagine they would be cheeper in Mexico, they can't be more expensive, I didn't realise how much the High street charge for them.

rhubarbe

Banned
Hmm, well Tuesday is just too soon for anybody to post one for you.

I expect they'll be tons cheaper in Mexico, but be aware of the normal caveats regarding memory stick. Fakes are indistinguishable from the real thing until it's too late.

wigwam12

Novice Member
Schadenfreudre and all that - good to see a small fly in the perfect ointment that was your stunning deal [not that I'm TOO jealous or anything].
In all seriousness though sorry I can't think of anything to help but I agree it is better to fork out at Duty Free and get at least 1 real one to start recording than buy a fake or not find any easily there and be screwed on hols.
Good luck and safe trip!

takes2long

Standard Member
Thanks Rhubarbe, wigwam12, thats exactly what I'm thinking. Dixons is apparently "TAX FREE" after Passport control so I will buy there. Give me something to do as you've got to be at the airport such a long time before your flight these days.
Any idears on how to get upgraded to first class anyone??????::arty:

takes2long

Standard Member
Hello
I'm back from my mexican adventure with jet-lag and a Sd card full of goodies. I'm trying to use the pinnacle free trial and have dl on to my sony pc. it has already told me to update my display driver ???? which I have done but now I can't "capture". It keeps telling me That Pinnacle studio is unable to connect to my device....make sure your device is connected to the Firewire or 1349 port. I've got two USB ports on the front of my Sony Vaio, I have no idear if they are Firewire or 1349 but they are the only ones spare. The Sd5 is PC connect Mode, my adobe seems to be fine in getting pictures from it.
Again any help would be great. Not sure how long the wife will allow me to sit infront of the PC. " been away for a week then come back and sit there all day, I don't think so"

Thanks

redsox_mark

Novice Member
With a non-tape camcorder there is no need to "capture". Capture is assuming DV/HDV tape, and that needs Firewire.
You should be able to copy the files off the SD card to your PC, and edit those.

takes2long

Standard Member
Thanks Mark

The PC only wants to pick up the still photos I took not the video stuff. any idears?

Thanks

Matthew

rhubarbe

Banned
Just put the SDHC card in a reader and transfer the files to a dir your PC. In Pinnacle browse to the MTS file.

takes2long

Standard Member
Hi rhubarbe

I've tried what you said. put the card in the reader (turned up at last), reader in PC, but the PC will only pick up the still photos I took with the camera, no video stuff.
I'm sorry if I'm missing something so obvious but I've tried all the options that the PC gives me to copy pictures to file and there are no videos.

confused
Help

rhubarbe

Banned
I don't understand what you mean by "pick up". Where are you looking in the directory tree of the SDHC card?

takes2long

Standard Member
Sorry, sorry....sorry

i've found the directory tree of the SDHC card and believe it or not found the MTS files. now you say copy to a file on the PC and then use pinnacle to view.

rhubarbe

Banned
Yes, make a new directory (on your desktop for example) and then use the file > open menu in your editing software to open the file.

Of course, if your software doesn't handle MTS files this won't help you but at least you should be able to play the clips on the PC (if it's up to the job).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for October 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Linn upgrades Majik LP12 turntable with new tonearm
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
VPI announces new Prime 21 turntables
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Skyworth launches 8K Q71 TV