• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

panasonic sd5 or sony sr5

nbkicker33

Established Member
any owners got the panasonic sd5 or sony sr 5, are u happy with yr purchase, i have downed my choice to one of the above, can get them the same price, just cant make my mind up for which one to go for.

Topefisher

Established Member
The Sony has a massive advantage over the Pana with its hot shoe mount.

You can use external mics or flash on it.

I don't have either model but am currently doing my research as well.

Just a consideration for you.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Except the SD5 doesn't have an external mic input. (Though the SR5 doesn't either; the SR7 does).
You could put a light on the accessory shoe though.

nbkicker33

Established Member
to late already took the plunge and phoned and ordered myself a panasonic sd5, am sure ill be happy with it :thumbsup:

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Hi Mark,
It can be used for an external mic of Sony manufacture or it can be used for most mics if you use one of these:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/view_item_cat.php?catalogue_number=sony_vmc-k100

My comment was about the Panasonic SD5; it doesn't have a mic input, so even though it's accessory shoe can physically hold a mic you can't feed it to the camcorder.

Yes the SR5 can use an AIS mic.

Thanks for the link to the VMC-K100, I thought those had been discontinued; that is useful for camcorders like the SR5. You'll also have to buy a bracket to mount the mic if you want it attached to the camcorder.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom