• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic SD5 and iMovie08 Problem

jynormous

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

Well I have just purchased a new Panasonic HDC-SD5 and its great! The only problem I have encountered is that I can't get it to connect to iMovie 08!

When I connect the SD5, i already have iMovie08 open, and the MBP sees the camcorder as a new device called “No Name” appears on the desktop, however when I go to import movie from the camcorder, it can see the .DTS files on the camcorder it just wont let me import them. I NEVER get a wizard when I plug the camcorder in trying to import the video for me!

This was giving me no end of grief so I took some photos on the camcorder and thought I would try to import them through iPhoto 08 and it worked fine, therefore im 100% convinced that the camcorder is connecting to the MBP correctly.

So, has anyone else had this problem? What can I do to fix it? I'm running the latest update (7.1.1 I think?) as that was the first thing I tried to do once it didn't work.

Any ideas?

Jy.

D

Deleted member 27989

Panasonic's and Mac seem to have a lot of issues...But in my research for my current camera I did come across a suggestion that for whatever the reason is, it does not like both stills and video on the same card...

Following import to iPhoto of the still can you delete them and then try it out in iMovie. Remember that iMovie generally prefers it when it has started prior to switching on the camera...

jynormous

Standard Member
Panasonic's and Mac seem to have a lot of issues...But in my research for my current camera I did come across a suggestion that for whatever the reason is, it does not like both stills and video on the same card...

Following import to iPhoto of the still can you delete them and then try it out in iMovie. Remember that iMovie generally prefers it when it has started prior to switching on the camera...

I also read this however i didnt have any stills on the card the first, second and third tries.

I am going to buy a firewire cable and attempt to use it that way, maybe there is an issue with the movie files and USB?

Any other ideas?

otjatt

Standard Member
I just recently bought the sd5 and am using it with my MBP iMovie '08.
Using a card reader try this (I havent tried using the camcorder to transfer because I dont have my AC cable):
1. Open iMovie 08
2. Connect the SD card to the computer through your reader.
3. Give iMovie a minute or two.
4. If a box does not come up allowing you to import the movies, simply go to File--->Import from Camera or Option "I".
5. Select the files you want to import.

and remember, importing the files takes a while due to the computer resources needed.

Good Luck

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom