1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic SD or HD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rubberducker, Aug 16, 2004.

1. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i am completely new to plasmas, but after nine years or so with my phillips widescreen, i have decided to go for a plasma.

i have taken the collective wisdom of these boards to heart and am going to go for a panasonic.

i am however, unsure which to go for SD or HD. i would like to future proof myself for ten or so years, and i am really into video games (perhaps more than dvd's, but only just!). i am not sure i could even afford the HD and would have to wait until they came down in price a little (is that likely?).

one of my main considerations is the next genaeration of playstations and xbox's (which are right around the corner) and my current modded xbox. i have read all sorts about progressive scan etc - which sounds like exactly the picture improvement i am after (my current rgb picture is awful through my phillips).

does anybody else have these requirements in mind, or know anything about the specs? any help would be greatly appreciated....
    :thumbsup:

2. AlexMac

AlexMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Rubberducker,

I looked at the same options as yourself and opted 2 weeks ago for the HD model. With HDTV coming in a 18 months or so plus the better gaming options i thought it would be worth the extra £1000 or so. I have my PS2 linked in with the Ixos component cable and games look great. I am still running the screen on low settings until i go over 200 hours but still looks the part. I'm thinking of getting a US version of Xbox next with the hidef kit, apparently amazing detail. DVD's look great on it as well from a component source.

Speak to the guys at AV Sales, their still doing a deal on the HD with board and stand for just over £3200. In the long term i think you will benefit by going for the HD.

Cheers

Alex

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Rubberducker

The SD version very happily accepts a prog scan signal. The HD is better with an HD signal but with an SD signal there is little in it.

Piers

Home Cinema Engineering

www.homecinemaengineering.com