Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic SCHT900 Help me please 4 days left

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Carnagerover, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Hi there whats all this about, could you please help me out.

The whole kit has 600watt rms
    But when you watch a DVD its 450 rms

Why does this happen and is this the case with this system. All i want to know on this part is what the rms of the system and speakers are when you are playing a dvd

Also i have bought this system but i have the chance to take it back to the store and choose another system. I do like it but i have a PS2 and i used to use my old system (pionner dcs-313) to play my dts games through the speakers and as i found out after i bought it the people at Panasonic thought it would be a good idea to not let it broadcast dts only dolby

P.S

Is there any fix for this like a firmware upgrade yet i have spoke to Panasonic they said well it wasnt designed to do that and they couldnt help me

Arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

help please only got 4 days left to take it back

2. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It does play DTS as well as Dolby II

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Coolio can you elaborate? I think he refers to PS2 via optical input not DTS DVD's

4. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    what i mean was that it doesnt play dts through an xbox or ps2, that means through there dvd players or in game audio it only broadcasts dolby digital

i was wondering if anyone new if they were gonna try and get a fix for it

5. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As far as I know there is no fix for it and none planned. The system was only 350 quid (or less) though and if you think about it you get what you pay for.

I was a bit let-down when I first noticed it had no DTS through optical, it has no Coax either and that is a pain if you wanted to hook up a dvd player like the Cyberhome CH400.

All in all though this player is a good player for people on a budget or looking for a bedroom set-up. if you want connectivity for everything you own you will be better off going for an Amp with tones of future proofing.

I love the panny SCHT900, even if it is not 100% perfection. it's a top budget all-in-one

6. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I must disagree with you there mate. As in most places its £499. the place i bought it from it is £399 and thats comet. Its not really budget at £500 pounds i dont think.

There is on reason for it not to have DTS broadcast because it has the decoder. The system i have before that was a pioneer dcs-313 and that did it no problem and that cost £380. There just didn't think that people would use this function, from what i have read on different forums how wrong they were. When i rang panasonic they said about this player thats all there hearing about how it cant broadcast DTS and how ****** off they are about it

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I have a feeling that the optical input was added for broadcast E.G SKY+ it is an all inone and this is its compromise, If you look at what it has and what it does for the money it is superb! a Pioneer VSX-C301 and Tonnay FX5.1 with a Pio DVD eg 360 or 454 is the other option or one of pannasonics slimline recieversSA-XR series willl do what you want, I admit that not having DTS is an oversight, but why not use DPL2 instead??? OK not as good but there isent a huge amount of DTS availble other than on DVD (which it does support) a handle full of PS2 and Xbox games and thats it really.

8. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Thankyou for the reply if i was to get a panasonic slimline reciever the SA-XR, is that a dvd player or just a dts decoder sort of thing. Also will it work with the speakers that i got with the Panasonic SCH900

Cheers

9. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

I too paid 400 quid last July from Comet (online price) but for the past few months it's been 350 quid in comet online and store.

It's an ace player but it is budget if you put it into context of other players.

Sure 350 quid is a lot of cash if you aint got it, but at the same time £350 is not a lot of money for what you get and I would tell anybody looking for a quality all-in-one player to pick it up even if it does not play DTS with the optical out....buy an Xbox...it's much better and you get your 5.1 from the Panny:cool:

10. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I have an Xbox a Ps2 and a gamecube but it was just a feature that i use with Vice city for ps2 but i might buy it for Xbox now that its out with Dolby 5.1. It was more future proofing anyway.

Question
    With this system when you play music its loud but when you play dvds you lose some bandwidth dont you. Why does this happen. It not as loud as i thought it would be on dvds

:mad:

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I really wouldn't worry too much about the Power ratings they are pie in the sky anyway mate, some of its down to the sound mix, or just turn it up a bit (unless you run it at full blast in which case get your hearing tested).

12. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

Make sure you have the thing setup right mate. When you play a dvd make sure you DON'T have S.SRND selected, also make sure PL2 is off if you're able to select it(with DTS on I don't think you can)

When I first got the panny scht900 I too thought the DVD sound was very muted next to music, then I found out that S.SRND (next to PL2 button on your remote) was selected and this was the reason. switch that OFF and notice a HUGE difference.

Also remember you can change every speaker setup to suit your own taste, the factory default is a bit low so maybe change those settings as well. Factory default is on FLAT, change this as well for yuor own taste.

This baby does rock once you have it setup right.

I have a PS2 as well, note that DTS is only 4.0 on the PS2 so you're not missing much.

13. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

The Xbox is really cheap at the moment and you can pick up some great deals. All the games are in 5.1 and some of them sound amazing (Halo) GTA3/Vice City is now on xbox with better sound (yea even better than the PS2 DTS option) better graphics (even better than my 2600+ 1 gig ram 256 meg gfx card PC) and you can rip your own music to the Xbox HD. Also the DVD playback on Xbox is much better than PS2 (Xbox had DTS for movies although you still wont be able to use that with the panny:p)

I all but stopped using my PS2 and it's not even in my main setup room anymore.

Find a good Xbox deal and then hook it up to your panny. sit back and enjoy:clap:

14. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221

Thanks for that mate that is the most helpful comment i have received so far. Do you know what this cinema mode is that people talk about when they go on about it. Also how have you got yours set up. I would like to know so i can try them on mine

cheers mate

15. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think cinema mode is just a pre-set and here lies the problem you're having at the moment.

it's knowing what pre-sets to use for the right thing, if you press the S.SRND button on your remote it will go through music/movie/something else (can't remember offhand)

Now you would think that Movie would be what you're after right? and you would be right if you were watching a movie in 2.0, this along with PL2 can mix a movie the way you like it. Use it with DD5.1/5.1DTS though and it just mucks up the whole sound on the DVD.

I watched a few movies early on and had to go and read a magazine review again because I was sure they said the sound was "amazing" on said dvd I had just watched and thought it was really poor. when I took the time to really read the intructions though I found out the reason was this simple S.SRND mode being on when it was not there for 5.1, only 2.0.

I can't remember my settings offhand since it's been a while since I played about with them. when I get a few i'll check it out for you and post back.

16. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Thanks again

Thats how i feel a bit at the moment. I'll make sure that i have got that s.srnd turned off. I'll choose a different other than flat mode for the sound. I had that surround sound placement mode on and i found out how to turn that off and it was better. Do you turn the idividual channels up. Oh one more question. When you press the test tone on you can turn it up to really load when you press exit though it goes back to normal.

sorry about all the questions but the manual is not very newbie friendly

cheers mate

17. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK had a quick check for you. when you play a movie check your display on the play that it does not have PL2 lit or S.SRN, if either are, then press the buttons on your remote antil they go (3 presses on each one)

Now that you have these sorted put a movie on and press CH SELECT (bottom row of remote buttons)...each time you press it, it will go through all the speakers. now you can press the middle arrow buttons on your remote UP and DOWN to change these if you want (depending on your room size and where you sit) I have the rear at +5 and the middle at +1, every time you press up it will go louder with that speaker and this way you can balance the sound so suit.

The test tone is there just so you can make sure the speakers are in the right places (no rear to the front) DON'T use this along with your volume turned right up because the sound will bounce and you will blow your speakers. keep it nice and low when testing.

Best way to test is to get a movie with a load of action and play about with the settings that way.

Also make sure you have your dvd player all setup in the main menu (hold shift button then setup)for sound as well as pic (whatever connection you're using)

18. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221

thanks a lot for all your help it is much Appreciated

Cheers Mate

:smashin:

19. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No problem mate. I hope in the end you're happy with it. I have had loads of pleasure from the system for the past 7 months and although it has a few downfalls (the no DTS through optical did hurt at first) it's still a super system that has great sound, great picture, ooddles of features and it looks the biz in your room.

:clap:

20. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    You must have a pretty good sized room if you have your speakers on +5 my room is quite small so i think i'll leave them on the preset one

21. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm also considering this system, does anyone use the component video output and do these work with PAL?

I see it does progressive scan on NTSC material, anyone any experience of what the difference is like?

Cheers

22. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    comp on PAl yes, I don't use it though.

Prog scan is NTSC only and again can't help you there.

23. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

Yea the room is bigish (is that a word?:lesson: ):laugh:

So are you more happy with the system now?

24. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Morning,

Yeah i'm happy with it. It was like you said. Its much better now. my room is quite small but when i turned the back speakers up to +5 it was too much for my small room but yeah happy with it.

How much louder do you think it is, then that speaker on +5

25. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Good, i'm glad you are happy with it now:clap:

It's not THAT much louder when set at+5...what it does do though is balance out the sound so if your seat is a bit too far from the back speakers you will hear the same sound as if you were a bit closer to them.

Off course you could just set them all to +6 and get them as loud as they would go:eek:

Mine is all just set for seating position. It's not about how loud it is for me but that the sound is all coming to you the way it should and it's nice and clear from every speaker.

26. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    You know when you go through the channels on the channel setup why cant you change the front left and right speakers, only the rear left right, center and subwoofer.

I might try it at +6 as it will be load as you want then. Its already pretty loud now. Oh and it does seem a lot louder now. I have it on heavy and it seems miles louder than the flat setting.