1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic SCHT520 Questions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Frazal666, Dec 23, 2004.

?
  1. Micro/Mini Systems

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Surround Systems/Separates

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Hey everyone, has anyone got this system? I want to know how much bass this system puts out. I want a surround system that will envolve me in the movie, is cost effective (Like this), and can play hip- hop bass. I will be connecting my music equipment to this, so I need this (Or another system, if anyone can suggest one, under £300) to put out good bass. I know the sub puts 200W, but I heard that specs dont tell everything. Please help, as It would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there is any more information about ths system, as I cannot find any reviews on the net. Thankyou in advance. :lease:

2. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just bought one for my son. Can't comment on it though as it's all wrapped up....

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please tell me what the bass is like when your son rips up all the paper..... Bet he will be happy. :thumbsup:

4. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Bass is not the best but when your watching under seige 2 and the trains crash i got a few complaints from family members that were downstairs!

5. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    For the money, I'm well impressed. I would say that playing music is probably it's weakness. Movies and PS2 are really good though

6. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can pick up the Panasonic SCHT870 for under £300 from the highstreet.
    That definately packs a punch and for a one box solution is pretty impressive.

Get a demo in a store.

7. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Panny SCHT870 is what I've got, a pretty good all rounder.

Definately at the right price (£299) and packs a good bassline.

8. DD29

DD29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do PS2 games with DPL2 support still work well with Panasonic’s own surround format? I wanted to get one of these for my Gamecube but was put off by the lack of DPL2 for external sources.

9. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    DD 29, dunno, I'm not a techie but it sounds fine to me. If you can explain what you mean, I can try to answer your question

10. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I bought one of these from RS before Christmas, and then it had to go away to Santa :rolleyes: , and since he bought it back, I've not been allowed :mad: to unpack it & set it up, but tonight the Christmas tree goes down, and I can get the cables run around the living room over the weekend, so I'll report back.

I've got a Gamecube, and I too was concerned about how it would sound, but went for one of these anyway, just as a first 'toe in the water' on a surround system. I'll let you know what I think of the 'cube's sound too.

In fact, if you are concerned about any particular game, let me know, and if I've got it, I'll gladly spend several hours this weekend *cough* testing.... Anything to help another forumite :devil:

11. DD29

DD29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey the_sanguine and Orson,
    thanks for the replies.

What I mean is how well the surround effect works when playing games specifically created in DolbyPLII, i.e. channel separation of the rear speakers, bass output, that sort of thing.

I used to have my Gamecube hooked up to a Marantz SR4300 receiver which had support for DPLII, but it died on me recently. :(

As for what Gamecube games to test, well anything that's DPLII not just Dolby Surround, but if you've got "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes" that would be a great one to test as it's got the best DPLII sound in my opinion.

Cheers.

12. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Call of Duty sounds pretty impressive

13. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Just re-read Frazal666's original post, and if you're after a review of this, there are 3 available through links from these forums.

Go to the top of the first page in this forum, and there's a 'Latest Reviews' box. Type in "Panasonic SC-HT520" without the quotations, but with the hyphen, and that should take you to a link to the 3 reviews.

Hope they're of some use.

14. DD29

DD29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The_sanguine how have you got your PS2 connected to the system, is it by the red and white cables? Also what does the display show while playing PS2 and does it change to DPLII when listening to CD’s?

Orson I’ve checked out the reviews (turns out to be just 1) but they only comment on performance for films and music not games, so I just really want some feedback on that as it would be my main priority for the system. I look forward for to the results of your weekend Gamecube test, what you gonna be playing?

By the way thanks to both of you for the info.

15. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Well folks, I'm reporting back, but bear in mind that I'm no techie when it comes to AV stuff.

Initially I was pretty impressed, and I think I will be again.

The sound quality is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. I had been listening to my TV, a Panny TX32PB50 using the centre, L & R supplied speakers which I used to think was good, and this is a massive improvement. It seems to have plenty of bass, and with the various settings, you can get a real thump out of it, but with no distortion (to my ears). The bass comes out as a clean 'knock' sound, rather than a distorted rumbling like some systems I've heard, and the surrounds and L & R provide a good crisp sound.

One problem I have is the picture quality of my NTL box, I'm getting ghosting from the TV picture, and red/green colour changes, almost cycling, although not in a regular pattern. This wasn't apparent until I swapped the AV1/AV2 over between the NTL box & the Panny 520, so I'm pretty convinced that this is a cabling issue, and not interference caused by the unit or the Sub.
    Any comments on this issue will be welcomed.

The second problem is that I got home yesterday, and the sound when watching the news sounded like it was all coming out of the surround speakers, and not from infront of me. I'm pretty sure that this is due to the fact that I was late home, so either the kids, or, more scarily the wife, had been 'using' my new toy.

I plugged the gamecube in, and tried Need for Speed Underground, which does sound mighty impressive. I know it's not being decoded properly etc, but it sounds good to me. As yet, I haven't even watched a film in it, other than popping a couple of disks in for 2 minutes to make sure it works.

What I need to do is :rtfm: , and then look at all my cabling. I've got a Video Essentials/Avia disk, which I intend to sit with as soon as time allows.

16. blackfly

blackfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume your AV1 and AV2 are SCART? Sounds like only one AV input is RGB whilst the other is perhaps S-video (through SCART cable).
    In my experience, the STB outputs RGB by default and AV1 is the RGB input for the TV, so if you have STB to AV1 there should be no visible problems.
    You may want to check the DVD player output setting, it should be RGB if you're using the SCART socket and the SCART cable should be routed to an RGB input (eg AV1). The other option is component (YPrPb), which can give you a 480 line progressive scan image if you have a capable TV.
    does you STB not have a SCART input, if so I would route the DVD player to that so both devices go into the RGB SCART of your TV.

If anyone knows ANY way of getting the Panasonic SC-HT520 to accept a dolby 5.1 input (specifically my xBox optical output, even if it requires conversion to coax) I'm very interested in hearing ideas. Sitting here with potential for 120" HDTV screen but only stereo sound