1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic SCHT520 DPLII?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DD29, Nov 2, 2004.

1. DD29

DD29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people,

I’m thinking about getting the Panasonic SCHT520 DVD Home Cinema System for a 5.1 setup in my bedroom, but I need to know if the system will decode DPLII from an external stereo source, i.e. TV, Gamecube, Radio…
    Although I know for sure that the system has a DPLII decoder the reason I don’t think it works for externally connected stuff is that on the Panasonic web site the features list states:

• Dolby Pro Logic II (CD/DVD)

This leads me to believe that the system only uses DPLII for CD’s and DVD’s which seems kind of pointless as it has DD and DTS for DVD.

Can anyone who owns this system or anyone who has experience with these kinds of all-in-one products tell me if this is the case?

Many thanks in advance.

2. RedRobin

RedRobin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately only from DVD or CD

3. DD29

DD29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply RedRobin.
    Oh well, that’s a real shame though as I really liked the look of the system.
    I guess I'll have to keep looking.

By the way if anyone can recommend a good all-in-one system that can decode DPLII from an external source for £250 or less, it would be greatly appreciated.

4. blackfly

blackfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if this Pro Logic issue can be fixed at all?
    What were they thinking making it disc source only?!
    Also, as the 5.1 essentially comes from the sub woofer (speaker outs), is it possible that the propriatery connector to the subwoofer from the player is merely carrying a S/PDIF output connector?
    If so that would mean it was theoretically possible to connect S/PDIF signals from another source to the system.
    shame my xBox is optical out though :(
    Still, if there were a software upgrade to allow pro Logic at all those phono inputs it would be better than stereo.