Panasonic SCHT-330 - no PLII on stereo inputs ?

C

Cack3r

Hi,

A friend has a Panasonic SCHT330. After setting it all up, we tried to get a stereo source (from the NTL cable box) to come out 5.1 (using PLII). Since i have a 2 year old Pioneer all-in-one which does this, i thought without a doubt this newer unit would no doubt be able to do this.

Anyway, according to the manual, you can only select Dolby PLII when in DVD mode, ie when playing DVD discs !!!

We can only get the Left and Right speakers to work on a stereo source !!!! This can't be true, as even some product descriptions talk of having 5.1 (PLII) for any stereo source.

Anyone have an SCHT330 and had all 6 speakers firing on a stereo source ?

Cheers,

Cack3r

A

AVking

I've used a Panasonic scht520 before, and that also cannot output pro-logic 2 from external stereo sources (only CD`s and DVD`s - without Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1)

To get surround sound for external sources from this system, it has a feature called `super surround` which adds surround effects to stereo sources.

I don`t know if the Panasonic scht330 features super surround though.

Uridium

Bought a SC-HT530 myself yesterday and have found exactly the same thing.

To get 5.1 output from TV/Sat/Cable etc.. you need to use the Super surround feature.

To be fair to Panasonic this sounds as good as Dolby PLII to my "Untrained" ear

davyc

Standard Member
Yep - No PLII & no Super Surround.
Am returning my set since TV sounds very poor compared to DVD.
Dave

davyc

Standard Member
Mark,
The 330 has single scart, VCR Audio In (twin Phono) and TV Audio In (Twin Phono).
I am feeding the TV Audio In from the Audio Out of Sky+ box.
The PLII feature with a DVD or CD is superb, but that from the Sky+/TV is simple stereo with the system set to TV.

I have hitched up a separate DVD player to the system playing through the VCR Audio In and system set to VCR. Again this is simple stereo.

In the manual it states that 5 channel sound is obtainable from any stereo program material, but further down it states "This works only in DVD/CD mode." Whenever I try to select PLII when system set to TV or VCR I get the message "ERROR".

In their promotional literature and on the box packaging Panasonic states that PLII is featured - hence my grounds for return.

I would be interested to know of a system that is able to provide 5 channel sound from all inputs. Can anyone help with a recommendation?
Thanks
Dave

I

ian-ex-comet

guys i bought this scht330 also as comet's website says pro logic II- allows you to listen to tv,video and camcorder in surround!

as tested it doesn't! only on dvd/cd which we are gutted about as dad wants to listen to footie in surround no sky!

I know LG models allow PLII on tv etc as thats what we had before and a mate has the LG 250 model (not sure about rest of model number but only about £130 on curry's website)

But Panasonic r quality! So such a shame. My old Pan model is the same, it has the super surround button but only has PL-I so unable to give this surround on tv programmes!

I always buy panasonic but looks like my next model will be another make due to this, or is this 'super surround' really that good as the scht330 doesn't have it so is it worth the extra????

Prob is the place i bought it may not refund the scht330 and don't sell the scht530! dammit!

I need PL-II from tv also, s-video out, and spring clip speakers as current cabling is already set under carpet!

Any tips?
Ian (worked for comet for nearly 5 years so have experienced this quite a bit)

G

greenday

I bought the 330 from Richer Sounds (now down to £99 incidentally).

Got it home, crawled about under the floor running cables etc. and found that it didnt do surround of any sort except for DVD feed.

Phoned Richer Sounds technical enquiry number and they confirmd that this was correct.

Took it back to Richer Sounds and swapped it for a Pioneer 333.

Try telling the people you bought it from that they should have informed you it didnt do surround from a stereo source.

I

ian-ex-comet

hey buddy i bought mine from richer sounds too.

does pioneer do it then?
does it have an optical socket too?

just never sure about remotes on pioneer stuff

G

greenday

ian-ex-comet said:
hey buddy i bought mine from richer sounds too.

does pioneer do it then?
does it have an optical socket too?

just never sure about remotes on pioneer stuff
I'll check for an optical socket tonight.

I'm extremely happy with the Pioneer.....looks beter than the Panasonic as well....it cost £50 more than the Panasonic pre-christmas although I think the Panasonic is now £110.

Uridium

ian-ex-comet said:
guys i bought this scht330 also as comet's website says pro logic II- allows you to listen to tv,video and camcorder in surround!

as tested it doesn't! only on dvd/cd which we are gutted about as dad wants to listen to footie in surround no sky!

I know LG models allow PLII on tv etc as thats what we had before and a mate has the LG 250 model (not sure about rest of model number but only about £130 on curry's website)

But Panasonic r quality! So such a shame. My old Pan model is the same, it has the super surround button but only has PL-I so unable to give this surround on tv programmes!

I always buy panasonic but looks like my next model will be another make due to this, or is this 'super surround' really that good as the scht330 doesn't have it so is it worth the extra????

Prob is the place i bought it may not refund the scht330 and don't sell the scht530! dammit!

I need PL-II from tv also, s-video out, and spring clip speakers as current cabling is already set under carpet!

Any tips?
Ian (worked for comet for nearly 5 years so have experienced this quite a bit)
Te Panasonic 530 does play any external input (well mine does anyway) in super surround.

An earlier post has suggested that this feature has been removed from the 530 as well now but mine is only a month old so not sure about this.

Only DVD/CD's output in PLII or DTS, My TV and Wireless Music Player output using the Super Surround feature.

Picture and audio quality are superb (as backed up my many reviews) so it may be worth hunting round for someone with stock of a 530 with the Super Surround feature.

davyc

Standard Member
Ian,
Today returned my system to your ex-employers. Manager took some convincing after giving me a lot of BS, including the fact that PL2 would only ever work with DVD/CDs. I had to show him the Comet web page (thanks for the pointer) and the manual for the SA-XR25 to prove the points.
Got my refund but have now to decide where to next.
Thanks
Dave

H

Helterskelter

I,m a bit bemused by this question. Surely if something has not been encoded in dolby PLII it cant be played back in PLII.

Synthesising surround from stereo is a different matter,the scht530 does a pretty good job with its surround synth. All you get is a sort of 'Ambience' effect. As you would by using the PLII decoder to decode stero into surround.

If its helicopters flying over your head or bullets flying past your earhole then NO synthesis system in the world can do that with a stereo source.

eddie (not the fast one!)

silvafox

Standard Member
I bought one of these heaps of rubbish too under the impression I could listen to more than just DVD/CD's through the surruond. Bought it at xmas too so no hopes of returning it now.

Anyway, I'm think of buying a Denon AVR-3803 instead and just plugging it in to my existing speakers (fro mthe SCHT-330). Is this system any good? I assume from what I have read that it will easily run Sky and my Xbox 360 AS WELL as DVD/CD's through the surround speakers?

Thanks in advance.....

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published