Panasonic SCHT 1500 versus 37R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lodx, Dec 11, 2004.

1. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking on buying the 37R,but have recently seen the SCHT1500,I am not up on this stuff,anyone know the difference between the 2.
    Lloyd

2. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I'm aware the key difference is the 37R is two seperate units and the 1500 is an all in one dvd/amp combination.

Oh and the 37R is 100w more powerful

3. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Spot on. The HT1500 is all built into one box with 1 handset rather than being 2 seperate units.

4. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will go for the 1500 then as a single unit will look better and i can't be arsed with messing about with 2 remotes.More to lose! And it's about a ton or more cheaper.
    Thanks all.

5. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 37R is more powerful, better sound definition, contains 80GB HD drive, and will cost you around £700 if you hunt around - real bargain, buy it if you want the best from Panasonic :thumbsup: .

6. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm,but I still edge towards the 1500 as 100w is not much less power (i am in a flat anyway,so can't blast the neighbours) and it also has a 80gb hd.
    I wonder why panny bought out too v similar items?
    Pricewise the cheapest 1500 online is £669 this is multi-region with delivery.
    The 37R is £739 multi with delivery.Is it really worth the £69 difference?

7. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats £70 difference,so much 4 my maths. :oops:

8. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The reason why they make both is because some people prefer seperates for future upgrade ability rather than the convenience of an all in one, but as they already made the DMR-E85 it makes sense to package it with an amp and speakers and sell it as a seperates package similar to the HT1500.

9. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info,
    I am looking for easy connections etc as this is only my 2nd foray into home cinema.When you buy the kit,do the scarts etc come with them?
    Also am I buying too much by getting kit with a hd when i have sky +?
    I really want it for burning dvds of the footie,films etc.Will the extra hard drive add loads of extra features?If not I will consider kit without hd.
    I am not looking for high end just a step up from my useless sony dav home cinema.(It always spits out dvds with even tiny scratches on them).

10. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well neither kits are entry level, but they are not high end either. They are both well spec'd, well reputed models with good overall sound. The HDD in both models will not only increase the capacity of your whole system but will also allow you to dub more quickly to DVD (hence the quoted 32x write speed which is quoted on them). You can even use their External Link 1 function to timer record SKY programs which have been set on the SKY Program Planner.

You don't get cables with any kit that I know of, other than speakers cables, although the HT37 does come with an optical lead.

11. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks AV,
    Now to pick yr brain even more,As you may have realised I am not very good with this stuff. :rolleyes: Would you know what cables I should get to connect to tv and sky+.I imagine 2 scarts,any others?
    big thanks
    Lloyd

12. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, 3 SCARTs as you need an extra one to go from SKy+ to DVD recorder, 1 set of 3 way Component phono leads for the TV, an optical lead for SKY+ to amp and a partridge in a pair tree ;-)

13. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sob.
    I don't know what an optical lead is or where it goes,i am out of my depth.but dear god i am going to find out!!!!!!
    I WILL purchase these leads,I WILL put them in the right holes (technical term).AND I WILL no longer be confused by the ways of the AV. :clap:

14. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It should all be self explainatory once you've got the leads, but don't worry, you can always ask after you've got them.

15. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks AV,
    Haven't got my kit yet,I have decided on the Panny 1500,have seen a few at good prices ,just musing on whether online prices will drop further in jan sales.Although the excitement of owning all this stuff is getting to me.

16. lodx

lodx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally decided on my kit.
    The Panny SC-HT1500 multi regional and the Panny TX32LXD1.
    I am not sure why I need 3 scarts though.1 from dvd to lcd and one from dvd to Sky + ,what is the other one for,also with prog scan should I use other cables??? I do know where the optical one goes though!!
    I am in a bit of a quandry,if someone could help by explaining connections in layman's (idiot's) terms I would be eternally grateful. :lease:
    Thanks
    Lloyd

17. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the 3rd scart goes from SKY+ to TV so that you can watch SKY when using the HT1500 to record analogue TV or Freeview.

To get progreessive scan working though, you need to SCART the HT1500 directly to AV4 on the TV and connect up the 3 Component RCA's.

18. LarryS

LarryS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings,

I am giving serious consideration to purchasing the SC-HT1500, and was wondering if the system provides automatic widescreen/normal switching on playback of recored programs?

Thank you.

LarryS

19. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It records WSS on DVD-R but not on DVD-RAM, although most TV have letterbox detection anyway to tell the TV to switch to 16:9 aspect.

20. LarryS

LarryS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I expect most recordings we will be watching will be 'buffered' on the hard drive - we usually use a VCR or a Fusion Freeview box for time shifting, the SCHT1500 would replace the VCR (amoungst other things!). :)

LarryS

21. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's the beautey of a one box system, one remote, one av lead, one mains lead :thumbsup:

22. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And they're now only 450pounds!

23. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Was a grand when it came out though.

24. Ben_S

Ben_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one of these on order, and its taking a while to arrive. In the meantime I've already ordered a load of clobber to get it connected to my screen and I think I may have gone overkill.

My question is can the 1500 allow you to watch one av source whilst recording another - ie could I watch terrestrial whilst recording the input from my freeview box, record freeview to HDD whilst watching a DVD or record freeview whilst watching terrestrial - all with only the 1500 connected to the screen.

I ask as if I can sent some leads & terminal boards etc back now I'll save over £100!

Thanks

25. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just purchased a Panasonic 42" PV500 plasma, and was looking at the 1500 system to go with this.

Probably a silly question, but I have Sky+, can I put Sky+ through the speaker system? if so, whats the best connections to go for.

My thoughts are either the 1500 system or the Denon DHT-500SD. anyone any advice?

26. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ben: You can record from one source and watch another at the same time i.e. watch terrestrial TV and record Freeview onto either HDD or RAM, but you can't record 2 programs at the same time and watch a 3rd i.e. you can't record terrestrial to HDD and Freeview to RAM at the same time.

Moncs: If the HT1500 has an optical input (which from memory I think it does) then you can use an optical cable from Sky+ to HT1500 which means that you not only have digital audio transfer to the amp, but also in 5.1 when received via Sky.

27. Jaggy Snake

Jaggy Snake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All - I am looking at purchasing the Panasonic SCHT 1500 home theatre system, but from what I can tell it appears to be region 2 only?

Does anyone know of a region hack for this to make it multi-region?

I've spent an hour or so scouring Google, but can't find anything!?

I also found one link via Kelkoo where there were 2 listed, one had 'multi-region' in the description, so I was wondering; are there 2 versions available (one region two and one multi-region), or was this likely to be a typo?