Panasonic SC-PTX7EB-K Owners Thread

UK_Blakey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope no-one take offence to my first post on this forum being one that starts off an 'Owners thread' thread! :)

I am awaiting with great anticipation the delivery of my recently ordered Panasonic TH-37PX7B Plasma TV and my Panasonic 2:1 SC-PTX7EB-K 'all-in-one' system.

Whilst I am itching to be able to start unpacking the box's when they arrive, I was wondering if anyone on AVForum would be able to answer a couple of my noob questions!

Q1. If I hook my MacBook Pro into my SC-PTX7 via the LAN port, will I be able to listen to, and watch stuff like streaming video, iTunes, surf the web, play games etc etc on the plasma and through the 2:1??

Q2. If so, how? :)

Whilst it is not what I bought the system for, it would be great if it was do'able!!!! :)

Many thanks in advance!!!

Blakey

Hi and welcome.
Sorry, i don't know the exact answer to your question.
Haven't tried it, but according to the manual it works with Windows Media Player and will play and/or record tracks stored there. Also just wanted to say you certainly won't be disappointed with the SC-PTX7, it's just superb.
The upscaling picture quality and the sound from the speaker system is awesome.
Enjoy!

Martin

I'll second what Martin has said about this system. The PQ upscaling is fantastic, the sound is brilliant (for a 2.1 system) and the music dukebox facility/stereo sound is great also. Good to see a thread started for this system. Hope more feedback is presented for it. Not messed with the Ethernet/LAN PC/Streaming facility yet so can't really help much. Someone should be able to assist I would think.

Was looking for a 5.1 system at first but didn't want cable/speakers everywhere. When I discovered the 2.1 systems (better for my small living room), I was blown away with the crispness of the sound and the surround effect produced. Even the Sky HD setup demo with Mileene Class sounds cool.

Enjoy the Panny.

Dobbo

Hi Guys, thank you both for your responses!

I must admit that your thoughts/opinions about the Panny did make me feel that I had, after *much* deliberation feel that I had opted for the correct system (for me!)!!

I also strongly considered the Denon S301 & the HK H200.

I have been lurking on this forum for a week or so reading as much as I could about 2:1 systems. I have (soon to be sold/given away!) an old Sony 5:1 which performed superbly for many years!! Now that the living room has undergone a major refurb the Mrs (I too know what it takes to enjoy a peacful life: "yes love!") would rather not have 3 mile of wiring draped around the room.

So, I have beat the living daylights out of my Visa card and purchased the following...

Panasonic TH-37PX70B
Panasonic SC-PTX7EB-K
Vogels EFW6345

So far the bracket has been delivered today, the TV tomorrow, and the 2:1 on Monday, so come Tuesday, I will be a very happy bunny!!! :)

I will write my own layman's review here of the 2:1 & TV in the not too distant future!

Ta once again guys!

Blakey

EDIT: Oops, did not realise that I had already listed the kit I have bought in 1st post!! Sorry! I blame the red wine!! :-D

Hi
I recently bought the SC-PTX7EB-K and also a Panasonic TX-32LXD700 both through www.pricelesselectronics.co.uk - I paid for fast delivery but didn't get it when my credit card company blocked the transaction due to the high single transaction value (tip here - call your credit card company before ordering to warn them and avoid such delays). However, this merely served to extend my anticipation of the pending new arrivals.
After a few more days of waiting the delivery arrived (at 7:30am) - so I threw a sicky and spent the rest of the day unpacking, reading manuals (not really necessary), building my new TV stand (UKGL2308 from TV Stands UK - also bought from Priceless) and arranging everything for the "big switch-on". WOW I was not disappointed - TV and HC are both FANTASTIC 5*'s.
So, it would have been rude to have not ordered SKY HD - and so SKY came the following day...... since then (about 1 week ago) I'm just about setling down and starting to resist the tempation to fiddle with the TV settings - which I have to say is not really necessary with this kit.

I ripped a full CD from Depeche Mode into my SC-PTX7's HDD Jukebox (took about 20 mins), I then hooked up the SC-PTX7 to my LAN (via ethernet), entered a few simple parameters into the Network setup screen, and copied a full Beautiful South CD across from a shared folder on my Windows XP PC to the HDD Jukebox in about 10 mins. Quality of sound is excellent from both file sources (WMA and MP3).

I then used the USB port (with USB memory stick) on the SC-PTX7 to watch a DivX movie and quality was again excellent - but I experienced my only disappointment so far though - the SC-PTX7 SCREENSAVER kicks in every 5 minutes and you have to press the remote to clear it - Does anyone have any ideas on how to disable or adjust the SC-PTX7 screen saver function ?
The Ethernet feature doesn't really cut the mull mustard for me - I was hoping to be able to use the SC-PTX7 as a media extender with my XP PC, but that's not what its about - is more of a media storage device device (for MUSIC) and doesn't have the partnership skills to work as a media extender / relay device (I need to go looking for another add-on purchase I think - any recommendations ? perhaps the KISS DP-1600 ?)..

Gary:clap:

Q1. If I hook my MacBook Pro into my SC-PTX7 via the LAN port, will I be able to listen to, and watch stuff like streaming video, iTunes, surf the web, play games etc etc on the plasma and through the 2:1??

I haven't tried this yet but the only related reference I found was (pg 90 of manual) that you should use a "cross-over" LAN lead if you wanted to connect your PC directly to the SC-PTX7 (instead of across a LAN ie via a LAN Switch) so you can then transfer music from your PC to the HDD Jukebox, or make/restore a backup of the HDD Jukebox on your XP PC.

I suppose you can still hook up a PC or Mac via the DVI port (if avail) on your TV and then use that as your monitor for web browsing / internet game play etc. (assuming your PC is hooked up the WWW of course) - not sure if the audio would route through to the SC-PTX7 though ... (thats another one for me to try)
Gary

I'm about to order this system and I read a comment about problems with PC connection/link up via Ethernet. I was under the impression that this system can be Wireless linked to PC via Bluetooth adapter (saw this adapter on Littlewoods site for £99.99). Further to this would the SC-PTX7EB not link up to my PC through my standard internet BT wireless set up?
I was also attracted to this system because of the ability to use as an iPod dock by adding the optional SHPD10 adapter (£62.00 on Atlantic Electronics) and thus both using my iPod through the PTX7 sound system as well as downloading the iPod playlists onto the Music Box as an option.
If I've misunderstood the capabilities of the SC-PTX7EB then I would greatly appreciate your input as I want to order the right system!

I'm about to order this system and I read a comment about problems with PC connection/link up via Ethernet. I was under the impression that this system can be Wireless linked to PC via Bluetooth adapter (saw this adapter on Littlewoods site for £99.99). Further to this would the SC-PTX7EB not link up to my PC through my standard internet BT wireless set up?
I was also attracted to this system because of the ability to use as an iPod dock by adding the optional SHPD10 adapter (£62.00 on Atlantic Electronics) and thus both using my iPod through the PTX7 sound system as well as downloading the iPod playlists onto the Music Box as an option.
If I've misunderstood the capabilities of the SC-PTX7EB then I would greatly appreciate your input as I want to order the right system!

I would personally always recommend using a wired ethernet connection when there is one available (and the ethernet port on the back of the SC-PTX7EB is there to be used and is free after all). This would ensure you get the best throughput speeds available. Having said that bluetooth wireless connections are reliable and as long as there isn't interferance from other electrical devices and your SC-PTX7EB is reasonably close (I'd say within 10 meters) to your wireless router/modem then you shouldn't have too many problems using a blue tooth wireless network adapter.
As for iPod compatability I can't say - as I have an aversion to all things iPoddy.... :)

Q2. If so, how? :)

Hi
Your proberbly aware of this by now, but the SC-PTX7's LAN port connection (using a crossover lead) only gives you the ability to transfer music from your MacBook Pro (or PC) onto the HDD Jukebox of the SC-PTX7 and other music related tasks.

To use your TV as a display for the MacBook Pro (or a PC) you would need to connect the Mac's video port to your TV (DVI or SVGA cable required depending on the PC port type on your TV... http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/DVI_Cables.php or http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/Monitor_Cables.php).
If you then use a cable with 3.5 stereo phono (headphone jack) to 2 x phono (http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/3_5mm_Stereo_Cables.php) cable to connect the headphone port on the Mac to the AUX ports on the back of the SC-PTX7 you can get stereo sound channelled from your Mac through the SC-PTX7.

Hope this helps - if anyone has an other ideas please share :thumbsup:

Hello,

Yesterday I received my SC-PTX7 and I have tried everything perfectly but the "Import from PC".

I have Windows Vista and I have not been able to transfer my pc music into the HDD.

Do you know if there are any problems with Vista and the PTX7? Has anyone connected directly a Vista PC with a LAN cable to the SC-PTX7?

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Gonna get a Panasonic 40PZ70 after Xmas so looking for a Panny all-in-one to go with it.

3 questions:

1) is it a wireless system or do the speakers have to be connected to the DVD player?

2) can you record TV programs onto the HDD?

3) How much?

Answers to any of these questions greatly appreciated:smashin:

Gonna get a Panasonic 40PZ70 after Xmas so looking for a Panny all-in-one to go with it.

3 questions:

1) is it a wireless system or do the speakers have to be connected to the DVD player?

2) can you record TV programs onto the HDD?

3) How much?

Answers to any of these questions greatly appreciated:smashin:

Hi sorry got another question: do you put the speakers on either side of the TV or either side of the sofa you're sitting on? How have you guys got them elevated, seeing as the speakers don't come on stands?

I've just bought a Panasonic SC-PTX7. I connected it to my TV using an HDMI cable. When playing the DVD it occasionally will flip between a completely blue sceen and the film that is being played. So I checked and changed some settings and now all I get is sound! (Excellent sound at that)

I've tried connecting using Scart and everything is fine. Appreciate any ideas from anyone as this is very frustrating, think it's going to be a long weekend

Thanks
Garry

This is going to sound cheeky and perhaps a touch inconsiderate but no I can't answer your question but I was wondering if you could answer some of mine (see 2 posts above):thumbsup:

I promise that once I've bought all my kit (with the help ofyou real experts on here) I'll be on here to offer the same help to other pestering, ignorant consumers like myself.

This is going to sound cheeky and perhaps a touch inconsiderate but no I can't answer your question but I was wondering if you could answer some of mine (see 2 posts above):thumbsup:

I promise that once I've bought all my kit (with the help ofyou real experts on here) I'll be on here to offer the same help to other pestering, ignorant consumers like myself.

Hi, the speakers are wired to the DVD player. The hard drive can only be used to coy music files to and i paid £600 for mine from Empire Direct

Oh... that's bad, bad, and more bad news.

Thanks a lot though; at least I can begin to look elsewhere.

Hi guys,

Picking up my SC-PTX7EB-K on Wednesday and wondering what the best way of hooking it up would be?

I have Sky HD and a Samsung R88 LCD with 3 HDMI ports.

Any advice most appreciated.....:)

Hi all,

Fully up and running now - very pleased......but with on exception:-

Display on when in stand-by mode reads" - - - -" this flashes on and off even though the clock is set.

Cant find any info in the instruction manual - can any of you guys help?

Thanks Dave:)

hi all

new to the forum, got the system before xmas and hooked it up to 42" plasma along with normal sky box, no problems, sounds great !

my problem if anyone can help is connecting to my PC.

I have a wireless setup (netgear DG834PN) which I have connected the panny wired (both beside each other luckily) and it connects to the internet just fine, can access the gracenote dbase. My laptop accesses via the wireless network. When the panny tries to connect to the PC for copying it comes up with the error "input shared folder not found". However I know the settings are correct as I can easily login to my first laptop from my work laptop with the same info (computer name, shared folder name password etc). I can open a DOS window and ping the panny and get connection, so I know its connected.

have tried all sorts of shared folders, renaming etc but nothing works, can anyone help with the obvious thing i am missing out !:lease:

does the shared folder need to be located in the PC in a certain place, or a certain name .. when entering into the setup in the panny am i missing some info to direct it to the correct folder...

Cannot get my SC-PTX7 to connect with my PC either directly wired or via a router? Think it may be related to the request to enter the 'user account name' and 'password' for user name as used when Windows XP was registered? But registration was so long ago I can't recall it......Any ideas how I can retrieve information please??

hi
Im just setting my system up, its only two days old, Two things
1 Are you using a LAN cable and not a standard tv/modem cable for the connection, i think
this is my problem, tomorrow I will have the correct cable and so can tell you more.

2 The user name i have entered is from Control panel---user accounts this is the name i log on with, I havent set a password for this so have left blank.
I will let you know how I get on.
Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the post. Making connection with cat5 LAN cable. Have tried all probable combinations of user/password but still not able to connect.

I will double check the user account main user name and see how I get on.

Good luck for tomorrow. Hope you are impressed with output so far. Did you buy it as an add-on toy or with new TV also?

Look forward to your update.

OZ

OZ the news is good.
As soon as i connected the new cable i got another light on the router, following the menu brought up the music files on the computer, download was a lot faster than from the CD to the HDD,maximum of two minutes per album. I am not a expert but i suspect the quality will not be as good.

Are you still having problems?

My book had a seperate loose page added with the instructions for setting up the shared folders and network connections, did you get this?
Only problem left music downloaded from I-tunes is not compatable with this system, does anybody know of software that will convert this format ?

let me know how you are getting on

Mike

Good news for you.

I am still having problems. Yes I have the seperate sheet and have connected as per point 5. Main unit to router, router goes to PC and broadband modem. User name/password is windows login.

When i request it to import it tries for about 10-20 seconds then sends me a PC name error. PC name is correct though as when I deliberately enter wrong PC name it aborts after a couple of seconds.

Are you connecting through router or direct to PC?

Please explain what you mean by getting a new light on the router when the cable is connected?

Well done anyhow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom