Panasonic SC-PT470 connection confusion

arpcap

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can please help me out and put me out of my misery.

I am trying to connect my Panasonic TX- L37 S10 tv, Panasonic blue ray player DMP BD60 and my sky + HD box to my Panasonic SC - PT470 Home Theatre system so that I can get surround sound from all of them. I've read many posts on the various ways of connecting but end up more confused than ever!

I want to use HDMI and optical cable but the home theatre system only has 1 optical input so am I right in thinking that I connect my sky box to the home theatre using the optical cable? If so do I thne just connect the sky box, blu ray player and home theatre all to the TV using HDMI cables?

Hope someone can help as I want to make sure i buy all of the right cables.

Thanks

Adrian

I've just bought the exact same system (sounds fantastic to me:thumbsup:).

I needed to connect up an XBox 360 and Sky+. As the system only has 1 optical in, your best bet may be to buy an optical switch. I would then connect up a follows (assuming your TV has 4 HDMI in):

Panasonic to TV via HDMI
Sky to TV via scart/HDMI
PS3 to TV via HDMI
Bluray to TV via HDMI

System optical in to optical switch
Sky optical out to switch
PS3 optical out to switch (I assume it has an optical out as I don't have a PS3)
Bluray optical out to switch

You then manually select the source using the switch, depending on what you want to listen to. I got a switch and two extra optical leads from Amazon, for the extortinate sum of £8.73:D.

Someone more technically minded than myself may have a better alternative but, the above is the only way I can think of.

Cheers for that Penfold - I'll get myself an optical switch.

Adrian

No worries mate. If you go here:

Amazon.co.uk: optical switch - Electronics & Photo

they are now doing a switch and four 1 metre optical cables for £15.00:thumbsup:. If you go to Comet/Currys you will pay £20.00 just for one cable. OK it will be better quality but in my opinion, that's too much for a £200.00 system.

Mine are hooked up and sound absolutely fine (just a pity you have to get up and manually change the source but hey, I need the exercise:D).

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom