Panasonic SC-PT460 & TX-37LZD85 Cannot get TV sound

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by spook2608, Feb 8, 2009.

1. spook2608

spook2608

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help with this frustrating problem I am having, I cannot get sound from the TV through the PT460 Speakers correctly.

I have connected the PT460 to the TV via HDMI, I have also connected an optical cable from the TV back to the speakers.

DVD's appear to play fine however no matter how I try I cannot get sound from the TV correctly, I have managed to get sound but its as if it kills the tv sigal completely when I do this.

Managed to 1. tv on, viere link, select cinema sound, loose complete pic as replaced by pt460 menu, change sound input on 460 to D-in, then on tv go back to av input and selecgt tuner. this leads to a very poor broken up picture with sound (some channels better than other) - however if I turn off the 460 the picture returns to normal.

I tried remving the optoical lead and connecting with photo instead, exactly the same problem but have to select the input to AUX.

How do I get sound working correctly from the TV and can this be done easily without having to go back to the tv menu again ?

I thought getting everything Panasonic would make this easy, but it seems to be a nightmare.

Help graetly appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan

2. spook2608

spook2608

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been messing around with this for ages, made some progress however the problem is really strange and definately seems to be linked in some way to tv signal strength.

I have the cinema sound working on some chanels but some (guessing weaker signal) go completely when the cinema sound is on, if you then then turn the cinema sound off picture returns to the tv....

very, very odd....

Any idea why this is happening ?

Thanks

3. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Is the HDMI cable of a decent quality as some cheaper made cables have been known to interfere with the aerial signal?

4. spook2608

spook2608

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice and it looks like you may have hit the nail on the head.....

First off I swapped the HDMI cable from the 460 with the one from the x-box360, at first thought it was sorted but then found that it was infact different channels that were effected.

I then borrowed an HDMI cable from my dad (looks like a poor quality one as its a lot thinner than the one I have, plastic housing on the connectors and silver looking hdmi connector) and that one appears to work fine.

I am still amazed at this problem and how the channels change with a different HDMI cable... I did call Panasonic for help and they suggested the 460 was faulty.

Very odd but thanks for you help, much appreciated.

5. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,383
    Well thats very weird. Just installed the almost exact same setup for my mum (although hers is a 32" TV) and could not replicate this at all.

I wonder if the better quality HDMI was faulty. One of the characteristics of better HDMI is extra shielding, maybe it was this shielding (normally a woven metal braid) was acting as an aerial of sorts and screwing with the RF signal. possibly the braiding was shorting somewhere. Weird though.