Panasonic SC-PM91D

mrminibus

I have come across a Panasonic SC-PM91D and set it up as a hi fi and Wow! This is one of the best sounds I have ever heard. Yes it’s old but that doesn’t worry me it’s a rich quality sound and so I eventually get to my question, I understand this is a DVD player but if it’s connected to a tv can I use it to increase the sound from my tv?

gibbsy

mrminibus

The unit has RCA connections to enable you to get audio from your TV. How to connect will depend on the TV that you have, it may only have a single 3.5mm audio out and therefore you would need a 3.5mm single jack to RCA cable. Page 29 of your manual, if you have one. Or download here:

Using An External Unit; Operating A Television - Panasonic SC-PM91D Operating Instructions Manual [Page 29]

Thanks for your help, I would be able to connect via component so if I connected this way the stereo would work like a sound surround would it?

Attachments

• 435A707D-EE39-49CC-AFD2-DCA7F1D0BBB7.jpeg
    435A707D-EE39-49CC-AFD2-DCA7F1D0BBB7.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 45

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your help, I would be able to connect via component so if I connected this way the stereo would work like a sound surround would it?
Those connections are for video only & are outputs, so for displaying DVD on the TV. Your TV needs to analogue audio out via red/white RCA connectors. If your TV only has optical digital then you'll need a cheap DAC to convert to analogue. But you may then encounter lip sync issues which your TV may or may not be able to correct.

In any case you won't get surround sound as there's only two speakers. Although I note that the Panasonic has a psuedo surround mode, this will be nothing like true surround.

I'm glad you're please with it as that's all that matters but at the end of the day, it was a sub £200 unit.

mrminibus

I understand it’s not true sound surround but that’s ok, it’s just a great quality sound which I’m happy with, I tried my iPhone as you described and it works great thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom