Panasonic SC-PM17- Worth upgrading speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by wicker_man, Jan 9, 2008.

1. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi, I don't really know much about speakers and audio equipment, but would like to get better quality sound from my music.

For the past couple of years, I had been using my laptop with some Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers to play music (MP3, mainly ripped to at least 224kbps), until recently, when I decided to connect my old Panasonic SC-PM17 mini system (about 5 years old). The sound quality is much better, more detailed and treble is crisp (such as cymbals, I listen to mainly heavy/death/power metal and hard rock). The only thing is the bass is a bit lacking (especially when listening to music with double bass drumming) and could do with more punch. So, I was wondering if it is worth upgrading the current speakers to some nice bookshelf speakers to get better sound and a bit more bass?

The hifi has a bi-amp system and bi-wired speakers (50w, 6 ohms) each with a 9cm mid range/woofer, 5cm tweeter and rear port. On the back of the main system, there are high and low frequency connections for unterminated wire (spring clip type).

I am thinking of maybe spending £100 or so in the near future on some nice bookshelfs (I am a student in 1st year of uni, so I don't have loads of money!). Something like the Mordaunt Short 902i (which are bi-wirable and have 100w max power).

Then maybe after a year or two, I would like to get an AV amp and connect that to my MacBook Pro's optical out, and get a centre channel, sub and floorstanding speakers for front channel (and use the bookshelfs for rears) for a 5.1 surround setup.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!

2. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hey there, I bought the same system as you have a few years ago and gave it to my sister. I am sorry to say that i isn't actually bi-amped as such. I actually tried connecting a pair of 902s to it and they didnt work in a HF LF configuration. In all honesty I would save your pennies until you can upgrade the amp and speakers together simply changing the speakers will not gain you a great deal I am afraid as it is relatively speaking a very cheap set up and you will not get a massive gain if you can get it working with a different set of speakers.

3. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    as a recently graduated student I would say take a look at the classified ads on this forum or dare I say it ebay and look for something like a Rotel 931 (about £30-40) or similar amp you will be blown away with the quality of sound you will get from it! :) then add something like a pair of Wharfedale 8.2s (about £50) it will sound stunning compared to what you have.

4. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thanks for the replies, looks like i'll be better off saving money until I can afford an amp + speakers.