Panasonic SC-HTB700 - Have I Bought The Wrong Soundbar?

Mav3000

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just bought the Panasonic SC-HTB700 soundbar. I saw it for £299 and liked the 3 channel and 2 HDMI inputs. It sounds great and does what I need right now, but was it the correct soundbar to buy in November 2020? A little bit of buyer's remorse is creeping in.

Should I have gone for the SC-HTB600? This soundbar costs £20 more, only has 1 HDMI input and 2 channels, however it is 10cm narrower, has eARC, 4k HDR+ & Dolby Vision Passthrough.

I am in the market for a new TV as my Panasonic Plasma has just died. I was looking at the Panasonic HX800 but am swaying towards the Sony XH95. The soundbar would sit on the Panasonic HX800's central base, but won't fit between the spread-eagle legs of the Sony XH95 (but I can wall mount the TV above to avoid this problem).

I am hoping that the Panasonic soundbar would work with the Sony TV via ARC (CEC) Okay. I don't need HDR+ / Doby Vision passthrough from the soundbar - I can plug any future devices directly into the TV, but will I miss out on the top-end sound by not having eARC on the soundbar?

Am I over-thinking this or should I swap the soundbar? I only bought it this week so am within the 14 day return period, however I would have to find a way of posting the huge box back if I change my mind at my own expense.

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Can't help with the soundbar question, but I have also just moved from a Panasonic plasma (only 42" and from 2008) to a 65XH95 and absolutely love it. Picture quality is as good as the plasma, no regrets here

I was quite sad when the Panasonic 42" died - it had been faultless for 9 years. I'd be upgrading from 42" to 49" in our living room (which is always lit when watching TV). This will be a big TV for the space it will be in so can't go bigger. I want as close to plasma image quality as I can get with a budget of £800 max. An LED TV will also use 66% less power which is a plus.

I initially loved the look of the Panasonic HX800. Comments say it has a mirror-like screen, but I had this with the Panasonic Plasma, but it's lack of HDMI is a limiting factor. I just need to justify the extra £150-200 for the Sony for the extra HDMI, Android OS (and Chromecast), AirPlay and Full Array LED to myself.

I have just bought the Panasonic SC-HTB700 soundbar. I saw it for £299 and liked the 3 channel and 2 HDMI inputs. It sounds great and does what I need right now, but was it the correct soundbar to buy in November 2020? A little bit of buyer's remorse is creeping in.

Should I have gone for the SC-HTB600? This soundbar costs £20 more, only has 1 HDMI input and 2 channels, however it is 10cm narrower, has eARC, 4k HDR+ & Dolby Vision Passthrough.

I am in the market for a new TV as my Panasonic Plasma has just died. I was looking at the Panasonic HX800 but am swaying towards the Sony XH95. The soundbar would sit on the Panasonic HX800's central base, but won't fit between the spread-eagle legs of the Sony XH95 (but I can wall mount the TV above to avoid this problem).

I am hoping that the Panasonic soundbar would work with the Sony TV via ARC (CEC) Okay. I don't need HDR+ / Doby Vision passthrough from the soundbar - I can plug any future devices directly into the TV, but will I miss out on the top-end sound by not having eARC on the soundbar?

Am I over-thinking this or should I swap the soundbar? I only bought it this week so am within the 14 day return period, however I would have to find a way of posting the huge box back if I change my mind at my own expense.

if you are happy with the sound and features dont fret, if you can send it back (if) look at a sonos beam £299 at richer sounds for black friday event.

I have seen the Sonos Beam but don't know much about it. Is is really worth even £300? With no sub or additional speakers, no Atmos etc?

I have seen the Sonos Beam but don't know much about it. Is is really worth even £300? With no sub or additional speakers, no Atmos etc?
quality over quantity.

Hi

What did you decide in the end?

I'm toying between the two, £60 pound in it, but the eARC and Dolby vision pass through is what is driving me towards 600 but the 700 has bigger power.

Let me know your thoughts...

Hi

What did you decide in the end?

I'm toying between the two, £60 pound in it, but the eARC and Dolby vision pass through is what is driving me towards 600 but the 700 has bigger power.

Let me know your thoughts...
Well in the end I sent the 700 back and am keeping my eyes on the Sony G700. I have a Sony TV and was put off when it stopped controlling the volume of the Panasonic Soundbar properly. The G700 is a 3 channel soundbar too, with Dolby Vision and eARC. I'm just waiting for the price to drop so I feel I've got a bargain.

Well in the end I sent the 700 back and am keeping my eyes on the Sony G700. I have a Sony TV and was put off when it stopped controlling the volume of the Panasonic Soundbar properly. The G700 is a 3 channel soundbar too, with Dolby Vision and eARC. I'm just waiting for the price to drop so I feel I've got a bargain.
Please read my post before thinking about the Sony G700. I previously had it connected to my Sony 65xh9505. thread 'Soundbar Help/ Recomemdation' Soundbar Help/ Recomemdation

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom