1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic SC-HT900 or Sony DAVSB300?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Samari, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the title says says it all really, what one would you suggest that I buy?

2. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    if you arnt bothred about optical inputs panny scht 870 replacment for the 900 is a steal 350 and a 1000 wats if u are then 900 is a rock solid unit as well dont have any experiance with the sony just the pannys :laugh:

3. markw31

markw31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had 2 faulty 900's. The DVD wouldn't output a clean RGB signal; I got a green line at the top of high-contract pictures. After an exchange I had the same problem. Took a year start-to-finish to get a refund (Empire direct and eventually Panasonic UK). (Tried 2 different TV's with RGB-in, same problem). :thumbsdow

4. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem but I was told it was an issue with my TV set (a Panasonic TX28PL10) specifically an earthing problem known to Panasonic. This problem was due to "the unusual" set up I had chosen to use ie the use of the RGB video output to the TV's AV1 scart socket and the use of the optical digital 5.1 sound output of the 900 (despite this being a feature of the all in one by the same manufacturer and this set up being actually illustrated in the SCHT900 instruction manual!) The set was purchsed from John Lewis and the engineer they sent out to fix it told me this was the case and attempted a "fix" that was recommended by the manufacturer.

Unfortunately though it initially rectified the problem (removal of the green band immediatley) it returned later the same day after the engineer had left. I subsequently called John Lewis and had someone come out again who came when my wife was in and who preceded to tell her they had fixed the problem but in fact had only switched the 900's output from RGB to Scart. That was a year ago. I have had other priortities in the meantime (birth of our first child, studies, renovation of new home etc,) but now writing this I am once again pi**ed off about their cheek on the last call out. The 900 was, inpart, purchased in order to enjoy the greater clarity afforded by RGB and composite over scart. I feel a phone call coming on with John Lewis' 5 year warranty for the 2 year old TV coming into play...