Panasonic SC-HT70 Multi Region

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by A V Novice, Aug 14, 2002.

1. A V Novice

A V Novice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Panasonic SC-HT70 DVD that was sold as being Multi Region. However it will not play region 1 DVD's.

Am I doing something wrong? does it require a hack? or worse is it not really a multi region player at all????

Any help would be gratefully received.

2. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Won't play any R1 DVD's or just some?

If it's just some R1's then you may be encountering RCE protection which prevents the DVD from playing on a DVD player that has no zoning.

When your HT70 was hacked, you should have been given instructions on how to change your zone manually. Try setting it to Zone1 and then playing your problem DVD's.

If you weren't given instructions, post again on this forum and I can get some.

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

3. A V Novice

A V Novice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying

So far only tried 2 Region 1 DVD's, neither would play.

The player has not been hacked, it should have been multi-region out of the box (or so I was led to believe). Is there a way of telling if I have been sold a Region 2 instead, if so I can take it back. Or alternatively can it be hacked?

Thanks again

4. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds to me like it might not have been multi-zoned.

Here's a quick test that you can run.

To change the region setting using your remote control

1) Turn the player off with the powerbutton on remote (Standby)
    2) to select required region, enter code from the tabel below
    3) turn player back on and play your DVD

Region Remote Command
    Auto [0] [-/--]
    reg 1 [1] [-/--]
    reg 2 [2] [-/--]
    etc etc
    reg 6 [6] [-/--]

If this works then your player was de-zoned. Otherwise, assuming that Consumer Protection Laws where you are apply, take it back to where you got it and tell them to multi-zone.

Good luck

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

5. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always wanted to know how to manually swap on a Panasonic thanx :D

kiwiranger, what you said is true, but.....
    ... if the retailer did an auto-mod on the machine (as is common with most upgrade to the scht70) then this remote control region change procedure wont work.

Basically I've seen the auto upgrade done using a service disc (I guess you guys know that there's on out there now ....)

If the upgrader does not follow the upgrade exactly [to the last letter] then they won't know if the machine has been successfull upgraded or not without testing it with a disc from another region. The machine effective accepts the process of the upgrade but does nothing about the region code management.

I'd personally get in touch with the retailer, most of them are quite happy to upgrade FOC if the machine is NOT what is says on the box....

6. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true about the auto-mod.

On a side note, all DVD players sold in NZ are region free out of the box All the manuafacturers do it before dispatching them to the retailers. Retailers couldn't move them out the door unless they were. Only exception that I know of is the Pana DMR-E20. I've been told that it can be multi-zoned, but cost in NZ is $500 (approx 170 quid).