Panasonic SC-BTT262EBK HDMI ARC advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by seanydurbs, Aug 22, 2012.

1. seanydurbs

seanydurbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting delivery of this unit in the next couple of days and wondered if someone could clarify if i need to use a digital optical cable to hear sound from a ps3 and a V+ HD box. My Panasonic television has an ARC enabled HDMI and the HDMI on the unit is also ARC enabled. My question is can get sound from several devices out of the unit or do I need to purchase a cable for each.
    Thanks in advance.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    A direct connection is preferred and ARC is really only designed to pass audio from the TV (not connected sources) but it might work okay. Some TVs can decode audio and pass it back over ARC/optical, others will output stereo and some won't output anything at all. It will depend on the TV.

An all-in-one home cinema system isn't ideal for multiple sources anyway and something like the Onkyo HTX-22HDX would have been more appropriate as it can handle HD audio from your PS3 and has a few inputs should you add more sources in future.

3. seanydurbs

seanydurbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks davepuma , I will try it with just the HDMI and if i need to buy an optical cable i will.

4. imranium

imranium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi sorry to jump in on your thread seanydurbs but I'm having some problems with the BTT262EBK (which I received yesterday) and thought I'd jump in rather than start a new thread.

I have a 42" LG LM620T which has ARC and this home theatre system has ARC, but when I connect them up via HDMI and switch the Panasonic amp/player to ARC mode, it wont output the TV sounds to the home theatre.

I'm using a 2m HDMI 1.4a cable, albeit a cheap one, that says it supports ARC, it has good reviews on Amazon:
    BlueRigger High speed HDMI Cable 2 Meters - Supports: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have gone to the sound menu on the TV and switched ARC mode on, with no avail. I tried the surround with an optical cable and it works.

At this point I can't figure out if the ARC fault is with my TV, my home theatre or whether it's the HDMI cable? I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Any help would be appreciated.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Ensure any HDMI CEC (Control) functions are turned on i.e. Viera Link, Simplink etc.

6. dave james

dave james
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    My apologies for jumping in on this thread,but i saw davepuma was very knowledgable so i wondered if he or the members could assit me.
    I have the pan st 50 tv,allied with a Humax Foxsat Box running thru a Bose Lifestyle 28:mad:
    I have connected my tv to my Humax via a HDMI conection,no problem.
    My Bose Audio is conected to the Humax Via an Optical cable.
    Sound system is fine all tv progs and the sound from the Bose Dvd player.
    But am unable to recieve video from the Bose to the TV.
    On the Bose Video Input-Output i have 2 composite sockets both are single sockets,allso 2 S-Video out lets.
    It would seem it is not possible to have an S-video to HDMI converter cable so it seems a no goer,
    If i have to get a new Blueray DVD player can i link it to my TV via HDMI and still use the Bose as my Sound System.
    Do Blue ray players allso play DVDs.
    Once again appologies for breaking in on this thread

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    How is the Bose system connected to the TV?

Yes. All bluray players will have spdif out (digi-coax and/or optical) so make sure whatever you buy has the right output for the Bose' input.

Yes. Obviously if you have multi-region DVD discs, the bluray player will need to be capable of playing them.

8. dave james

dave james
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for coming back so quickly.
    The only conection to the bose at this time is the Optical feed from the Humax,i cannot figure a way to conect the TV to the Bose for a video feed ,it has an S-VIDEO IN -OUT on the BOSE and Allso COMPOSIT IN-OUT but this is a single socket.
    I have a HDMI cable between the HMAX and the TV which is allowing full coverage of the FREESAT progs and is allso allowing the BOSE audio sound to the TV,Thru i assume the HDMI cable.
    As i said in my earlier thread It would appear to be impossible to obtain an S-VIDEO to HDMI conversion cable.
    I do hope my ramblings make sense to you.
    Dave

9. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Have you tried an S-video cable? Does your TV have S-video in? I take it the Bose system is old? You cannot convert S-video to HDMI using a cable.

10. dave james

dave james
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ime afraid not ,it is a 2012 model.3 HDMI and scart and component-video,2 usb ports.on The phillips flat screen tv this replaced had a DVI which worked OK.
    The Bose has none of these.

11. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    You could use a switchable SCART adapter (set to IN) and hook the composite video cable (yellow RCA) between the two. However, to be brutally honest you would be using the worst possible quality signal/connection and the TV deserves better. Time to invest in a new setup (bluray).

12. dave james

dave james
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have managed to get a picture using the composite cable as you suggest,you are spot on the signal does no justice to what is a superb tv.
    Have it in the pipeline for a Blue Ray,Have you any ideas what would compliment this tv ,up to about £200.
    Thanks for your :thumbsup:assistance,this is much appreciated .
    Dave