Panasonic Sc-BT200 - No sound from optical

DarkPython

Novice Member
Hello guys,

I have an Xbox which is connected to my TV via hdmi and to my Panasonic SC-BT200 via optical. The problem is I don't get any sound from my optical connection. I don't know what the problem is. Any help?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Did you alter the settings on the Xbox 360? LINK

Did you select the optical input (D-IN) on the home cinema system?

Is light emitting from the end of the optical cable? (Disconnect at the home cinema system end (obviously))

Do you have another optical cable to try?

DarkPython

Novice Member
Did you alter the settings on the Xbox 360? LINK

Did you select the optical input (D-IN) on the home cinema system?

Is light emitting from the end of the optical cable? (Disconnect at the home cinema system end (obviously))

Do you have another optical cable to try?

Do I need the xbox 360 multi out? I have the new slim and someone told me I don't need that.

Yes, I selected D-IN.

Yes, there is light coming out the other end of the optical cable. I just bought the cable yesterday so that's the only one I have.

Edit: When I plug my composite into the system it works. But Microsoft being the douchebags that they are wont allow composite and hdmi at the same time.

Also, when I plug the optical cable into the Xbox and sound system there is no click. It just sits there. Is it supposed to click in?

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Optical cables can be a pain to seat correctly. I have a mk1 premium Xbox 360 and it falls out easily. Try giving the cable a firm push to ensure it is fully inserted.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
You should really start a new thread as this is getting confusing!
Agreed I find it confusing as well

There is light coming out the other end of the optical cable. I just bought the cable yesterday so that's the only one I have.
are you replying to this thread or after help for yourself? if your after help can you start your own thread please, this is getting confusing and it's not fair on the OP.

Curly

DarkPython

Novice Member
Optical cables can be a pain to seat correctly. I have a mk1 premium Xbox 360 and it falls out easily. Try giving the cable a firm push to ensure it is fully inserted.

I pushed the cable in firmly but if I move my Xbox to much it'll fall out. I get a red light at the end of the optical cable so I'm suspecting the problem has something to do with the Blu Ray player. Everything seems hooked up properly so I don't know what the problem is.

Broadz

Is the source on the home cinema configured for Auto (which means it should seamlessly switch between PCM, DD and DTS depending what is sent to it) or one particular audio setting? If set to (say) PCM only, then it won't playback anything it receives that is not PCM - so won't play back anything that is Dolby Digital or DTS.

DarkPython

Novice Member
Is the source on the home cinema configured for Auto (which means it should seamlessly switch between PCM, DD and DTS depending what is sent to it) or one particular audio setting? If set to (say) PCM only, then it won't playback anything it receives that is not PCM - so won't play back anything that is Dolby Digital or DTS.

If I go the digital auto settings I can switch from Bitstream or PCM. It's set to Bitstream by default. There is also a secondary audio option which is turned on.

Broadz

According to the spec of that machine it has two digital audio ins - have you got the XBox connected to optical 1, but the source set to optical 2? Or vice versa?

DarkPython

Novice Member
According to the spec of that machine it has two digital audio ins - have you got the XBox connected to optical 1, but the source set to optical 2? Or vice versa?

No, it's set to optical 1. When I plug the composite cables from the Xbox into the system and turn the source to AUX I get sound but it's not surround. When I plug in the optical cable and switch the source to optical 1 I get no sound at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom