1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic say 30 seconds for white balance - WHAT ! - Please help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Petsyb, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Petsyb

Petsyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone - any advice and help would be appreciated

I sent this email to Panasonic Oct. 2004 after the third time I sent it they replied this was Dec. 2004

To treat myself on my upcoming holiday I decided to purchase a NVGS15b - https://vault1.secured-url.com/secu...delnumber=NVGS15&protype=camcorders&x=32&y=13
    Digital Camcorder to replace my 2 year old JVC GR-DVL 150 ( http://www.nomatica.com/index.asp?Devise=GBP&Langue=EN&pays=UK&Chargement=video/dvl150EN.htm ) this is of a similar set up to the Panasonic just older With a 800 pixel sensor the same as the Panasonic. To help fund my new purchase I sold my JVC, now to my horror (on returning and being able to view an hours worth of recording) I have found the Panasonic a poor comparison of my old JVC with the only benefit being it fractionally smaller size, the clarity and sharpness of the picture are only that of a HI8 camera (have tried both Panasonic Mini DV tapes and JVC on SP) my old JVC would have run rings around it,
    1) the white balance has a tendency to be blue a lot of the time
    2) on full zoom images have a noticeable haze around them
    3) the recorded image seems to have a over contrasted look about it
    4) fast panning creates a obvious blocky mpeg break up
    5) the image stabilizer is block by block movement at close range and not noticeable on high zoom or when it is it's very blocky movement this camera is not a touch on my old JVC that could have smooth motion even at full zoom with image stabilizer on

eventually this year I got this far

I have forwarded your email and discussed your issues with my manager as requested in the email.

In order to assist you, we propose that you send your NVGS15 directly to us so we may have the opportunity to inspect the camcorder for you. If it is not within the specifications for this camcorder we can repair the camcorder for you. If you would like to take up this option we would need a copy of the dated purchase receipt, as checking back through your emails I do not think I have this information. If would like to take up this option please advise and I will send you address details etc.

I would like to explain that Panasonic market a range of products to suit the majority of customers’ needs. The decision as to the attributes, features and price of those products is based on extensive market research, taking into account the previous feedback received from our customers.

Regrettably, as I am sure you can appreciate, it is not possible to tailor camcorders or any products to suit individual requirements. Similarly, it is not feasible to list within our literature every feature that a unit does not have.

Given this, we would always encourage our customers to ensure that a product entirely suits their needs and will operate to the purpose that they intend, prior to making a purchase.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kindest regards
    Panasonic

I did research this camera before buying and was assured in several shops that the specification and quality would easily outweigh my 2 year old JVC GR-DVL 150
    which was one of the first DV cameras and at the bottom of the range
    I have attached photos showing time frames and the blue image

From Panasonic

I have forwarded your email with the attached photographs to a colleague who deals with camcorder queries. He advises that in the issue of white balance: the Camcorder will take around 30 seconds to correctly adjust the white balance. The camcorder will take a while to set the white balance correctly, to start with the picture will appear bluish then it should correct itself

On the phone the guy at Panasonic assures me this is how all camcorders perform and most take up to 15 seconds to react and this is normal and the image is over contrasted purposely as that’s the way people prefer it as it looks sharper and more life like and this is what cameras such as those used by news reporters do to make the image look better

Now I know that you may get a slight blue effect on white but all my previous camcorders have managed to change to white in less than 2 seconds,

I sent video to him from the camcorder of my wife holding our daughter she was wearing a white T shirt that came out blue he informed me that this is how it should perform and that it has a blue tinge so facial colours are more accurate and this is the way most people would want it!

Now I think he's talking B'sh!t , but I may be wrong what do you think ?

They skipped over all the other faults saying the camcorder is performing as it should do

Just to Rub Salt in the wound

The guy I sold my old JVC to came around yesterday and showed me his holiday video instantly I could see the difference in video quality :-
    1) you could notice the truer colours (not over contrasted)
    2) there was no white balance problems whatsoever (no white showing up as pale blue)
    3) moving from false light to natural created no white balance problems
    4) when panning no distortion was seen
    5) his 10 year old daughter was recording and at 10x zoom the image was perfectly stable
    6) with no zoom on the image stabilizer still was very smooth not jerky like the Panasonic
    7) when recording at night the picture was still of high quality , not like the Panasonic that has to use a night mode where the image jumps from one frame to the next as if it's running at 3 frames per second
    8) the camera dealt a lot better where the image contained dark and light images , where as the Panasonic has a tendency to be over bright and wash out the rest of the picture

the JVC camera is over 3 years old and was one of the first budget mini DV's - the NVGS15B is still brand new and advertised on the Panasonic web site

Any Advice or Help would be appreciated

all the best

Petsyb

2. Petsyb

Petsyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are they no experts on here that can comment for me ?

3. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    Sorry your panny this badly behaved, I would take up their offer if its still on you could have a faulty or poor quality control unit which they will be able to fix.
    Having said that all the " more affordable" camcorders have a certain degree of lag in the auto white balance correction but 20secs is c**p. Manual white balance can be a life saver but I have to say I have used a few JVC camcoders (jvc gr-dv700) whose white balance i found distinctly underwhelming . Much less so with the Sony and more expensive Pannys.
    I think you will find that as you dig deeper into your pocket it will be less noticable!

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If there is mixed lighting or if your white subject isn't really white then it will take longer for the camera to ballance.

2 keys to good white ballancing:

1: Make sure the light is uniform (where practical, i.e. all outdoors or all indoors, dont have somebody half lit by daylight from a window and then half light from a (tungsten) table lamp

2: Use manual white ballance only if under flourescent lighting. Use your indoors (bulb icon) or outdoors (sunshine icon) in preference.

Check the camera set up for the LCD screen, it could need adjusted to give you a truer picture.

5. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    What i meant by manual white balance was actually manually selecting the presets as opposed to using auto white balance.

However if the lighting conditions are likely to be constant and autoWB as well as the presets seem to leave an odd colour cast then the custom white balance ( manually done) may be the only way of getting cast free colours .

In Laparoscopic surgery in order to accurately image the different internal body tissues ,we routinely use custom white balance with a (white) surgical swab.
    The light source is a cold xenon source similar in wavelength to flourescent so the above suggestion may be valid in respect to flourescent lighting. There is however no harm in experimenting under different conditions to learn your camcorder. You will have to adjust the LCD screen to look as similar to what your eye sees as possible: a sort of informal calibration ;)