• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic SA-XR700 HDMI problem for use with 3D TV.

Mike2012

Novice Member
Hello,
I hope someone can help me with this, and apologies in advance is this is not on the right thread.
I have a Panasonic SA-XR700 A/V amp which I am delighted with as I find that is very good with both music & films (I like the fact that when listening to music it defaults to using what would otherwise be the 'rear' amps to bi-amp the stereo channels). I have ,however, hit upon a problem now I have connected the HDMI output from the Panasonic to my new LG 3D TV. (My 3d 'source' is my PS3). When I route the HDMI output from the PS3 to the Panasonic amp to do it's magic to the sound, the PS3 doesn't recognise the TV as being 3D compatible. I am pretty sure this is because the Panasonic amp is only HDMI 1.2 compatible. If I connect the PS3 direct to the TV there is no problem & the PS3 instantly recognises the TV as being 3D ready. The Panasonic amps HDMI 1.2 compatibility is presumably therefore the 'weak' link.
My question therefore is this: Is there any way I can get round this without having to replace the amp with something which has 3D HDMI compatibility; would it work to have an HDMI splitter between the PS3 & the Panasonic to split the video signal direct to the TV & the audio to the Panasonic? Alternatively could the HDMI stages in the Panasonic be upgraded?
Apologies if this a bit long winded, but I hope someone can help.
Many thanks.

Last edited:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
My question therefore is this: Is there any way I can get round this without having to replace the amp with something which has 3D HDMI compatibility; would it work to have an HDMI splitter between the PS3 & the Panasonic to split the video signal direct to the TV & the audio to the Panasonic? Alternatively could the HDMI stages in the Panasonic be upgraded?

Your amp is HDMI 1.2 and unless you buy another one your stuck with it.

Replacing HDMI chipsets is never done , it would cost too much and there would need to be a major software update to the unit as well.

However all you want to do is get sound through the amp right?
Is there a spare optical input on the amp ?

If so , just run and optical cable from the PS3 to the amp , that will take of sound , and run the HDMI directly to the TV for picture.

Obviously you wont get the HD lossless audio soundtracks or anything like that , but HDMI 1.2 cant do those anyway , so no harm done.

By the way , a splitter wouldnt work in this case, it doesnt work in most cases with 3D and non 3D units, what you would need in that case would be a distribution unit with EDID management , and those are very expensive , much more expensive than a new amp.

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Obviously you wont get the HD lossless audio soundtracks or anything like that, but HDMI 1.2 cant do those anyway , so no harm done.
The second half of your statement is incorrect. All versions of HDMI can do 8 channel, 192kHz, 24 bit uncompressed audio. What HDMI 1.3 added was the ability to stream "Compressed HD Audio". All models of the PS3 can decompress HD audio. The "PS3 slim" is the first model able to stream it without decompressing it internally - and doing that comes at the cost of audio mixing. As a result any receiver supporting audio over HDMI fully supports lossless HD audio from a PS3, with no restrictions.

The OP's problem isn't with the HD audio - it's the 3D video his Panasonic can't handle. Your suggestion of not running the HDMI through the amp is the only viable one, but it comes at the cost of losing the HD audio he currently enjoys. In the end, the OP will need to replace his amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom