1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic S97EBS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skip, Feb 24, 2005.

1. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have changed my mind and just bought the pan S97Ebs,i would be interested to know if anybody else has got this model and if so any comments. Also will the hdmi be set up as default or will i have to change via setup

2. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    ive just got it the hdmi you need to select still trying to figure it out only set mine up this afternoon :thumbsup:

3. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    kourosh,mine should be coming tomorrow, if you could let us know how you have set it up would save a hell of a lot if spade work.also got the tosh 46 dlp. cheers

4. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    ive also got the tosh dlp had it all dropped of today the pic is fab but the player is quite complicated ive put a post up so if other people with the same player can show the right settings

5. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi kourosh, what seems to be the problem on the settings,getting a bit worried now as this is very new to me, watched my old dvd player through composite lead. fingers crossed someone comes up with the answers.

6. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    its just when you use hdmi you need to use a different set of settings nothing major i just hate sitting around and messing about :suicide:

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the manual isn't exactly 'user friendly' however like most things it soon becomes clearer. Funnily enough I played around with the settings on the player, and found that setting it to 'auto' and rejigging my plasma settings around this worked best for PQ.

8. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi edinburgh could you just give some advise if possible. totally new to all this , just stepped up to the tosh 46 dlp and was advised to get a hdmi dvd player to get use of its full potential. s97 arrived today and a bit worried i am going to have probs setting up. dont want to take out of box if going to give myself major headaches, i have got 7 days to send back. is it just straight forward as to connect hdmi dvd to hdmi tv and set dvd to auto and tv to hdmi, or more complicated.and what is firmware updates and do i need to do it. cheers

9. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, setting up is easy, just use HDMI-HDMI lead included in box. You need to go to the set up menu and set HDMI 'on', then it will be ready.
    The manual is ok, but could have been set up a bit better. Put it this way, I'm not an expert and find it pretty straight forward. I don't know your plasma, but for mine when I turn the dvd player on, i just change the input channel on my plasma remote, and get the picture.
    The player is already set up as 'auto', however you can change the settings to your hearts content, but I find auto is fine, and I jig my plasma settings about for my best picture.
    THe firmware updates are foreign to me. The S97does have some macro issues, and by all accounts these fix/help this. I'm off today, and am about to download it onto disc and see what happens.
    cheers

10. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for that.could not wait (the devil on the shoulder saying open it ) wow what a picture, previosly had my old dvd connected by composite this one the picture jumps out at you, just got to get a good set up now regarding the audio side. tried the firmware update but every time i typed in the password just kept saying wrong try again,.

11. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've had the S97 for a while now and found that you have the ability to change a multitude of settings, the only ones I've changed are sharpness and brightness +1 (depending on DVD) and at the bottom of the remote youn will find DNR (Digital Noise Reduction):- ignore the MPEG NR as this is a bit blunt but the other two (one's for depth NR and the other is a motion NR) just put them up to +1. There's a more detailed explanation on what everything does on the US AVS forum:-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=463025

G

12. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for that gstadt,like everything else will get there in the end,thanks for all the help from everyone.