Panasonic S97 - Possible quick fix?

shaithis

Novice Member
Typically, 14 months after buying my S97 it has developed a fault :mad:

I get the stand-by light on, but trying to properly turn it on via power, eject, play etc gives no response either from the player itself or the remote.

Completely knackered or easily fixable?

mjcairney

If I were you, I would contact Panasonic who, I would imagine, will get it fixed for you and probably not charge for it - after all, 14 months is nothing.

Best of luck.

cheers,

Martin.

mjcairney

I was just giving another thought to your problem and wondered if you'd tried disconnecting it completely from the mains and then re-connecting a few minutes later - sometimes electronic items get themselves completely confused, and the aforementioned action clears up the problem - anyway, has to be worth a try if you haven't done so already.

Let's know how you get on.

Cheers,

Martin.

shaithis

Novice Member
Yes, I did try the disconnect and wait for capacitors to clear.....no joy.

Toying with the idea of repairing it, but seeing as panasonic won't deal direct (have to take it to an independant service centre, nearest one is 30 minutes drive away) I am worried that I'll pay £100 to repair it, when I could buy a new one for only a little more...

Why can't someone come up with a multi region hack for the HD-A1? :(

mjcairney

Have you advised Panasonic by email about your problem, and asked them if they are prepared to fund the repair, seeing as the guarantee has just expired, as they are bound by law to sell equipment fit for purpose?

I am sure their liability extends a lot longer than their stated 12 months - I'm sure in fact that it's something like 6 years. Have a quick chat with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau or maybe better still, Trading Standards.

Cheers,

Martin.