Panasonic s97 or Denon 2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by funboy3, Feb 28, 2005.

1. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a great deal of difference? I will be using a Panasonic 42" Plasma without HDMI or DVI but will change this in the next 6 months to one which is HD ready.

I do not care about pure audio playback as I have a Naim system for this.

Thanks in advance for the help

2. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the s97 - a great player for the price, but the macroblocking is very visible on some discs. this is on a panasonic pw6 and on a sharp lcd ga4. I believe that only the 3910 will give you what you are looking for - no macroblocking despite using the faroudja chip. the 2910 therefore will be no stepup from the s97. I myself will go for the 3910, once I'm over the huge pricedifference.
    good luck
    thomas

3. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    have you tried the firmware upgrades - they can make quite a difference to the s97 macroblocking

4. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is macroblocking?

5. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Macroblocking is a visual flaw (mpeg artifact) that can be seen on certain scenes (typically when showing a large expanse of the same colour or during fade up / down). It is appears as large blocks, rather than a smooth expanse. It is highly display dependant, so there dont seem to be many hard an fast rules for knowing if you will be affected.

The same faroudja chip is used in both the S97 and the 2910 and this is the actual cause of the problem. Both Denon and Panasonic have worked to improve their firmware to address the issue. Neither has completely resolved it, but apparently, with the latest firmware, the issue is significantly reduced (if you saw it in the first place).

6. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I understand and it is extremely annoying.

7. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Personally, using a Sanyo Z2 projector, I never see it. Luck of the draw really depending on your display.

To actually answer your original question, my impression from reading around is that the s97 is very close to the 2910 in terms of picture quality, but doesnt do SACD, so the choice depends on your future plans for advanced audio....

8. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I will stick to the Panasonic and hope for the best as I have a Panasonic plasma. I am now wondering how much of a difference the 3910 is - again just interested in the HT aspects