Panasonic s97 hdmi picture

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 54xhg, May 21, 2005.

1. 54xhg

54xhg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I have the panasonic s97 connected the hitachi 32ld7200 by hdmi,can somebody tell me which picture setting is best 720p or 1080i.

Thanks.

2. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Id try both 720p and 1080i and see which you prefer, its all down to personal taste, i personally would use 720p but thats the native resolution of my set anyway. Nice tv by the way. :D

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    I have my S97 conncted via HDMI to my Pioneer PDP435FDE and, having tried both 720p and 1080i, truthfully cannot tell the difference.

Cheers,

Martin.

4. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    54xhg

I have a samsung 850 hdmi to hdmi conected to my 42pd7200 and i am not impressed.

My tosh 330e via compo is significantly better.(More depth,more natural and better blacks)

How good is your hdmi pic and is it better than your old dvd player?

Azz

5. 54xhg

54xhg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Azz,
    My picture quality is superb.It is a lot better than my old dvd player which was the toshiba 510e,but i could only watch that via the s-vhs connector so it's a big improvement on that. :thumbsup:

6. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I tried my S97 with a store's Pio 435 FDE and also could not tell the difference between 720p and 1080i. With a 2.35:1 film, it made rather more of a difference whether I had it set up so that in letterbox mode (excellent) or full screen mode (awful scaling!!).

7. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Totally agree with the above comments - stick to letterbox mode and you'll be delighted with the results.

Cheers,

Martin.

8. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I've got my Samsung HD945 connected to my Panasonic AE700 through a HDMI cable. Eventhough I can't see a difference in picture quality when I compare a 720p and a 1080i output, there's a clear difference regarding the progressive vs. interlaced issue.

The interlaced picture gets a bit annoying in action sequences. Which is why I have chosen to set the output to 720p instead of 1080i.

9. steve0

steve0
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    which setting is letterbox mode i have pio xde and s97 thanks

10. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Hi steve0,

Go into setup on the S97, then video, then TV aspect and set to 16:9 and then do not use the zoom feature on the remote control.

Cheers,

Martin.

11. steve0

steve0
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ill try that thanks

12. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I also have a Panasonic S97 connected to my Hitachi 42PD7200 via HDMI. I prefer the 1080i as against the 720p setting. Its marginal, but the 1080i appears sharper. The S97 has an extensive picture menu, which you really need to mess around with, to fine tune the picture to your taste.

Good luck.

13. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am getting a Panasonic VIERA TH-42PV500B Plasma next week and am currently looking for a dvd player that will give me the best output for this TV.

Heard a lot of good things about the s97, would anyone be able to advise me on the dvd player.

14. bigmac1

bigmac1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am also interested in looking at a reasonably priced HDMI player for my plasma to see what it's like on HDMI. The S97 sounds good quality, anyone know where to get the best priced multiregion version?

15. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  16. bigmac1

bigmac1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks Shaithis, I will check it out :thumbsup:

17. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Just got the S97 yesterday. I have to say it's a very good player. I bought it to replace a considerably more expensive Pioneer 668AV, because I couldn't stand that player's Chroma Upsampling Error (CUE) which made the outlines of flat areas of colour look jagged. A pain for animated DVDs.

The Panasonic uses some sort of Faroujda chipset which according to DVD Benchmark, causes a little more blocking than Pioneer players. I have to say that's true. Another thing I miss from the old player is being able to control the Deinterlacer a little more - this has the options of Auto1, Auto2, or Video. (Or just Auto and Video for PAL DVD). There's no option to bypass it, so you're in the hands of the player picking the right mode for you. One of the modes has always worked for me so far.

Overall the picture is excellent, and the lack of CUE is a breath of fresh air for me. Highly recommended player.

18. bigmac1

bigmac1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Lyris. Apart from the CUE problem being resolved, are you happy with the picture then in relation to value for money. Reason I ask is that I am currently deciding whether to go down the HDMI route or not and how much money to spend? Just got a Pio XDE recently and currently using Denon 2900 with it via component which looks ok, but I am wondering if HDMI will be a dramatic improvement, and if so, whether to stick with something like the S97 as it's a nice price, or whether spending money on something like the Denon 2910 is worth the extra dosh?

19. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Absolutely. I am very, very, very critical of picture quality (look at some recent threads in the LCD TV forum if you want proof of that).

I've heard that the higher-end DVD players are more expensive because of their superior audio capabilities - I'm honestly not sure if that's true or not.

I will try and connect both players to my video capture card (over S-Video, but hopefully that'll show up the good and bad points of each) and give you images to compare the two.

20. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    BTW - relating to firmware, I want to check I have the latest version. Where do I find this info, and if I don't have it, how do I upgrade the firmware?

21. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had my S97 for about two weeks and quite honestly, its a superb machine with excellent PQ. At the time of purchase, I compared it with the Denon 2910, Cambridge Audio DVD79 and the Samsung HD945 and for the money (£170 from Richersounds) the Panasonic was, in my humble opinion the best value for PQ and build. :thumbsup:

22. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Lalgulab786

How did you compare it to the other players

Azz

sammi 850 hitach 42pd7200 tosh 330e

23. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Azz,
    All the players I listed, I was able to audition at home, for a day or so. My main priority was PQ and secondly audio SQ. I will seldom, if ever use the Panasonic to play cd's. Thus, inview of this, based on PQ, it had to be the Panasonic. Specially so. as it was well within my budget at £170.

24. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Azz,
    Having said all the above, the Panasonic is a good performer on the audio front. Further, it gives an excellent account of it self when connected to my Pink Triangle DAC.

25. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking to possibly get the S97 to connect to my new PV500 when it arrives.

I presume that the HDMI output would show of the PV500 in its true resolution???
    Also, in order to get 5.1 surround, would I need a seperate amp??

:thumbsup:

26. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Just picked up an S97 today from RS, ready to feed my Tosh 52" RPTV and a yet to be bought Sanyo Z3 projector. I haven't actually plugged it into anything yet as I'm at my GF's for the weekend, but I was somewhat taken aback when reading the instructions, to see it say it does not play DVD-RW discs. Surely that can't be so? A DVD-RW written in Video mode and finalised is supposed to be identical to a DVD-R is it not? Anyone say for sure if it will or won't play Video mode finalised DVD-RW discs?

If it won't, then I'm afraid it may be going back and I'll have to look elsewhere. Which is a pity as it seems to do a lot of things I do want.

Cheers.

Regards

Mark

27. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I to am looking for a dvd player to use with my PV500, everyone agree the S97 is looking the best option at the moment?

28. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    lalgulab786

Like yourself i have hitachi 42pd7200 and my tosh330e gives great pic via comp(i). However the whole point was to use the HDMI slot so i bought a sammi 850 after hearing and reading great things about its big brother.

It was a diappointment

Is there a big diff betw the panni via comp and hdmi and what do you like most about the pq.

I am in 2 minds-panny s97 or the new tosh 350e(?availiable)

Azz

29. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Azz,

As I have the luxury of both inputs, I have the S97 connected to the 42PD7200 via both HDMI and Component using Van Den Hul cabling. PQ on both is excellent. However on HDMI, on the 1080i setting the picture appears to me a fraction sharper and more defined. Theres not a lot in it but, I favour the HDMI input.

Earlier today, the kids were watching Johnny English and my eldest was switching between the two AV inputs and finally settled on the HDMI. Again, that was his personal choice.

My previous DVD player was a Toshiba SD3109 and against this the S97 is a huge improvement. If I had a relatively new DVD with Component output, then I would have thought long and hard before purchasing the S97.

30. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks

I guessed as much

We need to wait for the HD dvd so we can see the true potential of these screens.

Azz