1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic S97 Firmware update

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xavk1, Jan 30, 2005.

1. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Guys,

Just got my hands on the new firmware (85E536).

It allegedly provides a significant improvement to the macroblocking via HDMI issue and corrects the settings so that no adjustment is required from default to achieve BTB etc.

Users on another forum have indicated that applying this update does not affect any region settings, and as such, this can be used on a multiregion player etc.

You can get the update from here

Will be applying and testing myself later today (once I have woken up).

Xav

UPDATE 25/02/05

New version available here. I haven't tested, but initial reports seem ok:

http://home.comcast.net/~home_theater_test/s97_85E540_firmware_upgrade.htm

2. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide: Just installed this update and am now getting a crap picture! The messages said it installed OK, and when I check the version it has changed to 85E536 from 85E528 as expected.

Any ideas what could have gone wrong?????

3. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hmm...not entirely sure, but this update does reset all of your settings to default, so anything you had changed before needs to be reentered. If that doesnt fix it, try discussing it here as that is where I originally found it.

4. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Have you worked out what went wrong, if anything? Is the picture back to normal? Keen to know, as I would like to update the firmware, but don't want to destroy (a) the picture or (b) MR settings!

5. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, problem seem to have been fixed by doing the following:

1) Turn everything off.
    2) Go out for a few hours
    3) Come back and turn everything back on again

There may be more to it as I have been playing about with the settings for DNR, sharpness and the likes, but it seems to be back like it was before. I might have been sitting a bit close to the TV when I first tried it, because it still looks terrible from about 1m or less. From 2m (my normal viewing distance) the picture is fine

6. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I've just done the upgrade. Everything seems fine, multiregion still ok and importantly, Aladdin (R2) where I was seeing a lot of "flickering blocks" of colour on night sky scenes has cleared right up. I think this player has now just earned its stripes - for me, that update has pretty much eradicated its only flaw.

7. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd hold off for a bit with the update if you are happy with your S97. I've updated and there are some real improvements, particularly with solidity of blacks and picture depth and detail. However, I now have some stuttering that wasn't present before. Hopefully this will settle after the unit has been powered off for a while. I know its a long shot but does anyone know of a link to the previous 528 version of the firmware so that I can go back if necessary.

3wrLcs

8. ntaylo

ntaylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    3wrLcs - do you have any further observations about your reports of stuttering following the 536 firmware upgrade?

I'm all ready to do the deed in the hope that it provides a marked improvement for the bad macroblocking I've been seeing on some material (display is Sony HS50 projector via HDMI). However, trading one imperfection for a new one doesn't sound so good! Nobody else seems to have reported any stuttering problem, so your comments would be valued.

Nick

9. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having powered off over night I haven't seen any major stuttering. Picture is an improvement but there are still one or two artifacts that I haven't seen before. This may be just that the extra detail available is revealing things that I hadn't seen before. On balance just about worth going for in my opinion if you have signifcant MB.

3wrlcs

10. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny has been multi regioned by a firmware upgrade, not a chip. Is is safe to install this new firmware ??.

If after installing it my player was no longer multi region is there a way to remove the new firmware ?

Just out of interest where did you get the firmware upgrade from, there is no mention of it on the Panasonic website ?.

Thanks.

11. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    As far as I'm aware, the S97 uses a code sent by remote-control to multi-region. Upgrading the firmware should not modify the multi-region status of the player (it didn't with mine). As far as I know, you cannot downgrade back a version as the upgrade process prevents it (unless you get a firmware that is modified to avoid this check).
    The upgrade file was posted on "another forum" (in the USA ;)) where there is also an ongoing discussion on it. Not sure what the forum rules here are for posting other forums' links?
    Panasonic will not post it on the website - they operate a strict "upgrade-by-servicer" policy (apparently). It can't hurt to email them though - from what I can gather, the latest upgrade was emailed to a forum poster from Panasonic Sweden.

Edit: the other Pana S97 thread has posted the links here

12. AGroucutt

AGroucutt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    were do i find instructions for doing fw upgrade?

13. AGroucutt

AGroucutt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes sorry within the download

14. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    so there's absolutely no doubt that the multiregion hack will remain after the firmware upgrade?

thnx ;)

15. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just installed the upgrade to my Multi region Panny and I can confirm that it is still multi region.

16. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I purchased my S97 pre the fw update and as yet have not done the upgrade. But my S97 has suffered with stuttering (if you mean the screen goes blank momentarily, either a blue or black screen, sometimes with green fringing, then returns to the picture a second or two further on) since I bought it. I haven't got round to returning to 'Sound & Vision' yet because NTL cut me off and Sky aren't coming 'til next week so we're working our way through the DVD collection.

How do people manage with only BBC, ITV, C4 & C5 :confused:

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are flat? :suicide:

17. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Just got my Panny DVD-S97 - and although not yet using HDMI - I will be in the not too distant future.

Just wanted to see if there is any way of seeing what the current version of firmware is in the unit.

Anyone know how to do this, or if its possible?

Thanks.

T.

18. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Press and hold the Pause and Eject-buttons on the device + press 7 on the remote.
    The firmware version should appear on the display.

19. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks Aquila...

Checked it, and discovered mine (although brand spanking new), had version 85E531 installed!

I emailed Panasonic to see if I could obtain an "official" UK upgrade, and got the response:

In response, we do not have any commonly recognised faults with this unit at this time. However, if you feel your unit may be faulty, we would suggest that you refer the unit to a local Panasonic service agent for investigation. A list of your local service agents can be found on www.panasonic.co.uk, under Customer Support, Find a Service Centre.

I trust that this information has been of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 08705 357357 or customer.care@panasonic.co.uk and we will endeavour to assist.

Regards,
    Customer Support

In other words - "On your bike, sunshine..." :(

I've therefore downloaded from the link here, and carried out the upgrade - which is a fairly straight forward enough process. I've also power-cycled the S97 to ensure that everything is ok.

So far post-upgrade, everything seems perfect.

T.

20. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    has anybody got the s97 connected up to a 434 hde? if so how good is the picture?
    do you notice the dreaded macroblocking?

thanks

jason

21. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    What sort of price are these going for now,multi region of course and are they available in black?

Dave.

22. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi Dave,

Got mine - multi-region, with delivery and VAT for £219.99 from webelectricals.co.uk - I believe (don't quote me on this) that it is also available in black.

23. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  24. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi xav, I've not used any updates yet, have you tried this new one, and do I need any previous ones (or will this one be enough ?)
    thanks

25. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    xav tried to open the file using password no joy. am i typing it in correctly "3mod4=3".

26. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Edinburgh160 - I think you can just use this update on it's own. I have seen no reports of issues from those updating from any of the previous versions. I havent even had time to apply it to my own machine as I have been at work all day. Hope to get time later in the weekend (other half permitting of course!!)

Skip - did you try without the ""? ie just 3mod4=3

27. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    xav, thanks for that just done ok i think.one question if i put this in and goes wrong is there away to put it back to what the original settings were

28. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Depends what you mean, if you mean the PQ has got worse in a few subtle areas and you prefered it as it was originally, you may be able to flash it back to v536 as this is publicly available. People are still investigating whether this reverse update is possible as the v540 firmware has just come out and switching back might kill the machine, which is the other danger :eek:

Myself, I am going to flash mine :D with the v540 when I get home as the upgrading form v528 to 536 was a positive move.

G

29. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just installed mine, will check out a few discs now.

30. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    player working fine with upgrade. still plays all regions (phew),
    Looking at Aladdin (flying carpet scene/song) there does seem to be some improvement.
    Not that I'm an expert or anything, but it's always good to keep these things up to date I suppose.
    thanks for the link and help folks :thumbsup: