Panasonic S97 and Sharp 37" LCD Ga4 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MattDJ, Feb 22, 2005.

1. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hope you can help.

I have a Sharp 37" GA4 LCD Screen, and connected is a Panasonic S97 dvd player, by HDMI to DVI, and 2ch Phono to small jack.

When watching a film, on the quiet scenes, I hear what sounds like "the sea".
    Strange I know. When I pause of course, its gone, but its extremely irritating on quiet scenes.

Anyone know why? Could the fact the 2ch Phono to small jack is a cheap cable?

Thanks in advance.

2. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. I've got the same problem with my 37GA4 too - at first I thought the noise was on the DVD soundtrack - but it's not! When I listen through the headphone socket on the front of the set it sounds fine. But when listening through Sharp's amp and speakers there's this weird 'sound of the sea' when the soundtrack should be quiet - It's completely unacceptable!!

I wonder if it affects all Sharps? I guess most people on these boards are using an external amp and speakers so maybe no-one's noticed it yet. Anymore Sharp owners out there with this problem????

It must be the internal amplifier. So much for the '1-bit' technology - I'll do some more tests and let you know the result.

3. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the 'sea' noise is much reduced if you select 'Audio/Virtual Dolby = ON' from the Sharp menu. (Weird - I thought Dolby off would generate *less* processing noises).

Also choosing 'Setup/Speaker Setup/External Audio Bypass = YES' fixes it too - although now the sound is not pre-corrected for the rubbish speakers - so you get less bass.

Long term I plan to get some small external speakers - the supplied ones just can't handle bass - they make the plastic doors on the rear cable cabinet resonate!!

4. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mmm... what "quality" lead is it (2ch phono to small jack)?

I was gonna do some testing, like running the dvd player thru my hifi, but I guess it the tv... which is not good at all.

5. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

Just to confirm - it's the GA4, not the cables. (There's no problem when listening thru the headphone socket on the front of the GA4). I think the noise comes from the bass boost processing Sharp are using to make the speakers sound less tinny.

Solution is to turn bass-boost off and use external speakers.

6. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    'Setup/Speaker Setup/External Audio Bypass = YES'

Thanks for that LcdGuru... have done it, and i cant notice as much... but have turned the bass up, so I'll see how I get on...

Is it just the "small jack / dvi" input that does this or ALL sound on ALL inputs? I didnt notice it on my Pioneer 656a nor DVHS player inputs (scart and component)...?