Panasonic s75 vs Pioneer 565

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Doll, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Doll

Doll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have narrowed down my choice of new player to one of these models as the both fall in my budget. I have heard good reviews of both machines and wondered if anyone on here had first hand experience of them.
    I am not too bothered with DVD Audio and Sacd at the moment so just wondered which is the better player of DVD's.
    I will be hooking the player up to a 36" Toshiba TV to get NTSC prog scan.
    Are there any bugs with the prog scan performance of each of these ? For example today I learnt of the chroma bug which I had never heard of before.
    I will also have to buy a component cable to get prog scan so that pushes slightly in favour of the Panasonic as it's £80 cheaper than the Pioneer in the first place.

Thanks for any info.:)

2. Johnmel

Johnmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Doll, I got the multiregion S75 two months ago for £119.29 and I'm using with a Tosh 32ZD26 along with Supra AV3 component
    leads. Picture quality is excellent, sound is also VG, haven't had any prog scan problems so far

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    Really dont want to p|ss anyone off, but the S75 is a terrible machine, I got it for a second player to try dvd-a, and can only really compare it with a pioneer 737 that I have been using for the last couple of years.
    It really crushes detail in the darker areas, I tried all settings but it just would not resolve the detail.
    To be honest I thought all dvd players were pretty good but my Toshiba 3107 (US) which was my first player and a first gen player in the states, resolves better detail than the panny.
    If I had got rid of the pioneer before I got the panny I would probably never of realised how bad it was, it was only when I suspected detail was missing and went back to the 737 that I saw how bad it was.

I would try the pioneer.

4. Doll

Doll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the info mate. Does the machine have both an optical and coaxial digital audio output ?

Cheers.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    There should be some info her for connectivity here

6. Doll

Doll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks will check that out :)

7. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that you found this, since my own experience is to the contrary. I've just got an S75 to replace two Toshiba 330s which I could not get to work properly without a tiresome workaround on every disk.

However FWIW the Toshibas, even when working properly, did not deliver as pleasing an image as the S75. And on JPEG images the Panny via component simply blows the Tosh away. Which is what various reviews have led me to expect...

However the reviews of the Tosh were also very good. I suspect it all depends on what you link these players to. My Loewe loves the Panny, which unlike the Tosh, delivers a picture to match my Denon ADV700 and can zoom pictures to fill the screen with less dramatic softening than that shown by the Tosh. People rave about the Tosh, but I couldn't really say that it was significantly better on RGB than a £50 Cyberhome from WHSmith.....

Of course I've not experienced Pioneer players. Perhaps they really are comprehensively better than Pannys, Toshibas or Denons... but I suspect its either the quirks of one machine or something to do with your overall setup (as perhaps was the case for me with the Tosh)

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    Initially it was running into a NEC XG crt projector and then I tried it going into my philips TV.
    I was given it free as a friend had won it in a promotion at his work and I had sorted his son out a gamecube.
    But as I didnt need it on my TV I didnt keep it.

The scene where I really noticed it was in gladiator, at the end when he is dieing, she is leaning over him, the left hand side of her face is shadowed, the pioneer and the tosh both show plenty of detail in that shadow, the S75 does not, well it does if you increase the brightness to the point where there is no black.

Definitely not as noticeable on my TV but on the projector I guess I expect more.

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    A lot of these problems are related to signal levels I think. A dvd player that gives out a very strong rgb or component signal which is then sent along a really hq cable with minimal loss of signal into a television which is overly sensitive to signal strength will result in a slightly bleached image where fine detail is lost. I say this because I have experience of a cheapo Compacks DVD5000 player that gave out too strong a signal via its scart and component ports, however if you connected to them simultanously meaning the player had to drive both ports the signal level dropped on both to a point where more fine detail could be seen on both connections. People recognise a weak rgb signal because of grain but a strong rgb signal isn't as obvious. When an rgb signal goes well over the top strength wise you get a sort of ghosting. However slightly high rgb levels destroy fine detail and create artificially high contrast and even pastelly colours. Add to this individual examples of the same model do vary there really is only one way to find out if something is right and thats to suck it and see.

10. Johnmel

Johnmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    gizlaroc, hate to disagree mate but I've got the Superbit version of Gladiator and I've just watched the same scene at the end, I am getting plenty of detail on her face without making any adjustments to the picture settings on the tv or my S75.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    What are you comparing it with ??

12. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I also prefer the S75 for many reasons over a Sony 900v, easier to use and a more film like picture, it also plays RAM!

13. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Bonzobanana that signal mismatching could be reason for our differing views of DVD decks. It all depends on what you hook it up to. The s75 asks you to specify the type of TV: direct view, plasma, projector etc., and so presumably alters its output to suit each.

But differing makes of set will still give differing results with the same player. I've found that the Tosh 330, with workaround, gave its best results on component out to my Loewe. With s-video slightly ahead of RGB.The S75 however is best on RGB via SCART (and better than the Tosh on any output).

I too have "Gladiator" and use it as one of my test disks for the Toshiba fault. All I can say is that the closing scene on the S75 lacks no detail compared to the same scene on the following decks: Denon ADV700, Toshiba 330, Toshiba 220, Grundig 210A and Cyberhome400. It is better than most: and more film like than all except the Denon which is comparable for image quality & depth. The Tosh (on component) was detailed but noisier and harsher.

However Gizlaroc's experience is very different: as is his equipment. Which goes to show that its no good relying on other people's recommendations when it comes to DVD decks : you have to try them out with your own gear. So always buy the things from somewhere with a no-quibble returns policy.....

14. Doll

Doll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I decided to go with the s75, the £80 price difference was a big factor as well as looking at a lot of reviews and opinions.
    Thanks guys.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Did you know the 565 won the What Hi-Fi this year awards. It said the picture was every bit as good as the dearer 656.

16. Doll

Doll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah I read that mate, but £80 is a considerable price difference for me. It's a decent component cable and another DVD :D

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Not forcing you into it, but my point of view is buy the best within reason.
    A cable can be bought at an other time when you have saved up for it but upgrading the DVD player is not that easy. Also the same goes for the DVD, and at least the DVD’s you have they would have a better picture. I would rather have 95 DVD’s that I could watch with a spot on picture then 100 with an OK picture.
    Some years ago I had the option of getting a Maratz amp about £350 and a Audiolab 8000 for £420 I said the extra £70 difference I could get some better interconnects. At the last minute I used the above rule, boy was I glad I took that route and got the Audiolab.

On the other hand in your case it is £80 towards your next DVD player when Blu-ray is popular but that’s probably 3 years down the road.

18. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I couldn't agree more with Garrett. Although it's a bit difficult using this reasoning with her in doors :D

I'm so pleased we have seperate bank accounts ;)

19. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    This is the same What Hi Fi which gave the Sony NS930 4 out of 5. They agreed the picture quality was virtually identical in interlaced modes but the Sony lost a point for not having DVD-A. They were very quick to dismiss the inclusion of PAL prog on the Sony. I know which would be more important to most people.
    In the same issue the Yamaha AX640 won best amp in it's price range even though it lost out to a Pioneer in last months supertest. I take their reviews with a pinch of salt these days.

20. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    How do they do the reviews though? If they have a different review body for the test this could account for the change in the top models.
    Also in some test they only cover 4 or 5 models which may not cover other equipment added in the super test.
    Once of a day they use to have each member of the test team give there opinions on which they thought was the best model so it gave you some idea what they were looking at and if say the runner-up got a thumbs up from a tester and you agreed with his comments that may have been the one you would be better buying.

And I take there reviews with some Dijon mustard.:D

21. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I would not buy a restricted DVD player now. So if I was buying one today I would buy one with both SACD and DVDA

22. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    MartinImber - unless like me you want PAL progressive scan as well. I don't know of any DVD player under about £600 (Pioneer 757) with PAL prog and DVD-A and SACD. Pioneer 565 comes close but only does NTSC prog scan.

23. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    But people never complained that VCRs weren't sold with CD players built in. I purchased my DVD player for watching movies. The SACD functionality was just an added extra that i paid for but didn't care too much about.

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    Have to half agree with you there, paying for something you never use.
    But if you did want to use it is a cheap way of getting a SACD and DVD-A player. And in my case I do not mind paying a little more just to get a player in black (not the full difference in the price between them I must add).

25. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kwangomango, am I right in believing (and I'm probably wrong) that NTSC progressive is a massive improvement on interlaced, whereas PAL progressive is not such a vast improvement? Personally I can suffer buying American DVDs (which on-line are cheaper anyway) if it means saving a few bob. But then I guess it depends on your budget.

As for what hi-fi, they have been raving about the PH40. Every other review I ever seen as slated it... Interesting about the supertest vs av player of the year. Looking for one now, I'll have to check up on that.

I still don't get the point of DVD-A / SACD. When we've shelled out for an amp and CD player, why suffer the deterioration in sound quality that you get through a DVD player. I've not heard surround sound music before though; is it that good?

26. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    I can say I have heard the sound quality from one of these players, but don’t you get pictures and videos with some DVD-A, and also there is more music information?