1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic S75 - Is it broken?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RobbySpurs, Oct 31, 2005.

1. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,862
    Hi all. I have the above DVD player - it is about 20 months old. Recently I have been watching films and the picture starts breaking up (blocking etc) - on one disc it did it occasionally and only very slightly. Put it down to dirt on the disc. Yesterday, on a brand new disc, it happened really badly, and eventually the whole disc just stopped, and the player locked up. Could not play, eject...nothing. I tried the disc on my xbox, and worked fine, so eliminated the discs.

Is my DVD player on the way out, or does it just sound like a dirty lense. Any ideas? :lease:

Thanks

Rob

2. Polydorus

Polydorus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem with a cheap Daewoo we have. With it, the solution is to unplug it for a few minutes (5 or more) then plug it back in and it works fine. It's very much like a computer lock up and completely removing power restores it to default condition.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    How well is the set ventillated?
    Your symptoms do suggest laser failure or just the laser losing calibration. That could be prolonged excess heat or you have just been unlucky.

4. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,862
    Thanks for the replies. Interesting you should mention ventilation. I have the matching XR45 digital amp. As the dvd player and receiver are bedfellows, and due to a lack of space, the receiver is sitting in top of the dvd player.

I did it this way, as the receiver's instructions were pretty clear about not placing anything on top of it.

The receiver does get VERY hot to the touch on top - I felt I had made the right decision. Although now I am concered that may be contributory to my current problem.

Ideally I would have each piece of equipment on different shelves, but if that is not an option, is it Receiver on top of DVD, or the other way round?