1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic S75 DD51 Decoder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andygjones, May 24, 2003.

1. andygjones

andygjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this one.

Ive just got a panasonic S75 DVD player to replace my old Pioneed dv-505. Im not sure whether i should use the DVD players internal DD/DTS decoding. I currently have it connected to an external Technics AC300 DD51 Decoder (doesnt do DTS) connected to a yamaha 6CH amp (E492).

Do you think i would be better off using the dvd players internal decoder going straight into the amp? Or will the Technics decoder do a better job. Also would it be worth it to gain the ability to do DTS aswell?

I would just set it up and see what sounds better, but it involves moving lots of things around due to cabling, and im lazy :)

Thanks for any help

Andy

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    IF the DVD does DTS decoding i would drop the AC-3 decoder and go straight to amp less messing with DTS sound tracks! If you feel that the setup has lost something then put the decoder back in. or get a DSP E800 from the classifieds and then you get DD and DTS external processing

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I don't use the decoder on my S75 so can't really comment on the sound quality but it is worth using just to get DTS.

As for the wiring swop it for the Technics decoder which should have all the cables you need already connected to the amp.

BTW how do you feel the Panasonics picture compares to the Pioneer?

4. andygjones

andygjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I swapped and tried the DVD player. Wasnt really happy with the sound compared to the seperates setup. Then again, i didnt spend the time setting up the levels and delays properly, so it wasnt really a fair comparison. May give it another go at the weekend. Am also considering getting an AV Processor from ebay to replace the Yammy E492 and the AC300.

As for the panasonic vs pioneer. Well I bought a 42" plasma about the same time as the panasonic DVD player, so difficult to compare the 2 as the pioneer didnt get much of a go with the plasma. I was always very happy with the pioneer (which is why i kept it so long), especially when compared to some of my friends new budget dvd players (some of them have very soft pictures). Am extremely pleased with the panasonic so far.

One thing i hope to see the back of, is the occasional lip sync problems that i had with the pioneer.