1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic RPTV problems (only had it 2 hours)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jon smith, Feb 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Got my Panasonic 42PT10 today (replacing my buggered Samsung RP) and have a problem already.

Went in to sort out the 9 point convergence and as soon as I went in point 3 became bent. The blue and the red lines cannot be lined up with the green. This is only on NTSC Progressive. The convergence is (thankfully) not bent on the others.

I'm sure someone else had this exact same problem? Help.

2. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jon

It was Shaunthedude who had the problem. slightly different to yours though, I think all of his modes went to pot.

With yours, you could try a couple of things in the service menu. 1. have a go at correcting the NTSC progressive page. 2. Copy the convergence from another page that looks ok, i.e. NTSC 100hz.

Now to do this, you'll need to access the service menu and get to the fine convergence options. I'm working away at the moment so don't have the info to hand, but I can post back late Friday/early Saturday if you are ok to wait.

Cheers

Laurel

3. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Would be great if you could. It does seem odd that it's only one mode. NTSC 100hz is fine (so at least I can watch the thing).Please post the details when you get back or email me at jonmcwill@aol.com.

Would be a great help...

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem jon. I'll do that.

Probably not so odd really, maybe this mode was not set right at the factory.

Mine had a slight problem on NTSC 100hz which I have now corrected.

It's lucky each mode has a seperate page memory for the convergence!

Cheers

Laurel

5. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    ta. Gonna leave the rest of the convergence alone for a bit, just to make sure I got a TV to watch.

2 other questions if that's OK.

1. In the manual it says the TV switches to wide when it detects an anamorphic signal (this seems a bit hit and miss on my set, sometimes I have to go into 16:9 to do it - from Panasonic Auto).

2. Is there anyway to get it to straight to ITV digital from the off, rather than selecting it from the AV input menu each time I turn on the TV.

6. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon

OK - Got some service menu stuff here, first you questions:

1. Not had this problem, seems to switch ok. You didn't say what source you were using. Could be related. Does it have the problem switching on DVD?
    2. Don't think so, but if you switch on a source connected to SCART, then the TV should switch automatically, so maybe you need to switch on your source component after the TV. If you leave the set in standby, it should pop back on to the source you used last.

7. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK heres a quick guide on convergence/service menu. Specifically fine convergence.

TX42PT10 Fine Convergence and Service Menu

First a warning:

DON’T change anything if you don’t understand what it is your changing.
    DON’T change anything without writing it down first.

Before starting convergence switch the TV to whichever mode you need to adjust (i.e. PAL/100hz or NTSC/Progressive). Each mode is stored in a separate convergence ‘page’. There are 7 pages (0-6), as separate pages are also held for 4:3 and 16:9 or wide modes. I can’t remember which pages are which (forgot to write this bit down!), Perhaps we can update this here. Once into the convergence options you can tell which page you are adjusting by hitting the save key (see below). This will display the page being adjusted.

To enter service mode

Using the ‘Sound’ menu adjust Bass to max and Treble to min.
    Hold ‘Index’ on the remote and press ‘-‘ on set (under the flap at the front).
    Press the ‘N’ key under the flap on the remote to exit service mode.

To navigate

Use the remote.

Green key to move forward
    Red key to move back
    Yellow key to select an option

Most of the options are intuitive, i.e. H-POS (horizontal position). DON’T change any of these if you don’t know what they are. If you do change anything WRITE IT DOWN first.

Move forward to ‘Fine Convergence’ and select.

Fine Convergence

You can adjust pretty much with impunity as if you do not ‘save’ your work everything is lost as you exit. So if you make a cock-up, just exit without saving.

Use the following keys on the remote;

Power key exits (requires confirmation by pressing the ‘N’ key within 3 seconds under the flap)
    Setup key saves your work and requires confirmation by pressing the ‘N’ key within 3 seconds under the flap.
    Aspect key to switch between cursor/data (cursor allows you to move the grid selector, data allows you to adjust it)
    Cursor keys to move the cursor (volume +/- and up/down). You can adjust extreme positions which are ‘off-screen’ (i.e. if you move the cursor to the edge of the screen, then move further in the same direction). This is represented by the cursor flash backwards and forwards from the edge. Difficult to explain, but you will see immediately what I mean if you try it.
    Sound key to cycle through different combinations of R,G,B.
    Mute key cycles through different colour patterns
    TV/AV key switches between point/line and other methods of adjusting. E.g. Line is good for adjusting a whole line (horizontal or vertical). Use point for localised adjustment.
    The ‘5’ key superimposes the TV picture behind the convergence grid so you can check your work.
    The information key (to the left of TV/AV) clears all convergence for a selected page.
    C key allows convergence to be copied from another page. Try to copy from PAL-PAL or NTSC-NTSC.

NOTES:

The usual convergence options apply. Start with Green, then adjust Red and finally Blue. Blue will bloom a little (especially at the outer edges of the screen). This is normal.

Take it slow, don't adjust anything to extremes and save as you go.

Now sit back and enjoy a perfect picture.

Cheers

Laurel

8. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi Laurel

With the above Q2. When I turn on the DVD player I would expect the TV to change automatically to the DVD input, but it doesn't.

Thanks for the convergence stuff below (will try it later and let you know how I get on).

Update later...

jon

9. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Laurel

Convergence problem fixed on progressive NTSC (I is a very happy bunny).

I'll sort out all the convergence bits later on, when I have time to work all the modes.

Thanks for the info though, just so happy the TV is OK.

jon

10. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey jon

Glad you got that sorted.

Could this be your SCART lead? Do you have another to try it? If it's a freeby you got I would try a new lead, decent quality, wired for RGB. You'll see a better picture as well.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers

Laurel

11. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Both ITV dig and the DVD have decent Ixos leads (both set to output RGB, get the confirmation in top left hand corner).

On my old TV, when I turned it on it would auto go to to the ITV dig (as always turned on) and as soon as I turned on DVD the channel would change automatically. This doesn't seem to be happening... is there something in the menus that could change this?

12. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jon

Not that I know of. It should switch as you say. Mine does.

Which sockets do you have the kit plugged into? Have you tried one component at a time. i.e. plug the DVD into AV1 - unplug everything else - and see whether it switches.

Cheers

Laurel

13. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Still doesn't switch when I put the DVD on, swines.

Also, I get occassional glitch. The convergence on the picture will go out at the bottom, bowing up heavily, then after a few seconds will go back into place. My girlfriend says she has seen it be in the bowed state for 5 mins the other day (i've only seen it bow and then go back pretty sharpish).

You had any probs like this.

Looks like I need an engineer out after all (must be something loose somewhere).

14. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine switches on automatically too. So far the tv is still great. could I have finally found the right one. i hope so. Thanks again Laurel for your help.

shaun

15. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Right...

My TV seems to have the following faults/quirks (Laurel or Shaun, have you experienced any of these on a regular basis)...

1. Convergence bows heavily out of place every now and again before snapping back in again (usually after about 15 seconds).

2. Anamorphic Pal material autoswitches to 16:9 anamorphic on auto ratio mode. NTSC material does not autoswitch to anamorphic, I have to manually select 16:9 as the ratio.

3. When I turn a scart input, the TV does not autoswitch to this
    input. I have to manually select the AV input.

John

16. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon

I do not experience any of these problems.

The convergence issue sounds dodgy, and the autoswitching is unusual and still has me puzzled. Did you try a different SCART lead out of interest??

Cheers

Laurel

17. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I have two decent scarts and both have the same problem. I would imagine with both scart switching and anamorphic switching issues that something is loose somewhere. As you say though the convergence bowing is a worry.

I have a panasonic engineer coming out Monday morning, so i'll let you know how I get on.

18. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jon.

when i switch to av on my tv the picture sort of bends and you can see three pinstripes (horozontal) this only happens when switching through av modes and only lasts a split second. I think all tvs do this though. One thing I have noticed on mine is that when watching a dvd, if the screen it totally black there is 3 faint white patches right at the top of the screen. Only noticable when screen is totally black though. I think it may be cured in the service menu as when I watch a programme with the black bars, the top bar is sort of smiling at me and the bottom one frowing (if you know what I mean) so somthing may need ajusting. Hope you get sorted soon.

cheers,

shaun

19. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the splodges are being caused from my centre speaker on top of the tv. I thought that this was the right place to put this speaker. It is sheilded so I dont know why it causing the white patches. Any ideas?? Have you sorted your tv out yet Jon???

20. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    If you mean a thin bright white line right at the top, then I have seen this once. Speaker not on top though. I'm sure could be fixed by the vertical position in the service menu (it's probably an overscan line and just need to jink the picture up a bit).

21. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    The engineer has just left.

Was unable to fix any of the faults. Will need to go onto Robert Whyte to get a replacement for me.

john

22. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck with the replacement jon.

Shaun

This is unlikely with a rear-pro. The screen is not affected by magnetic interference like a CRT.

It's most likely as jon says, an overscan line. Try adjusting the H-SIZE parameter (slightly) in the service menu.

Cheers

Laurel

23. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the splodges are being caused by my dvd player on reg 1 discs. I tried another dvd player on my tv and it was fine. My dvd showde splodges on the other tv in the house only in different players. Just glad its not the tv this time. PHEW!!!

24. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a relief.

Get the wallet out for a new DVD.

:D

Laurel

25. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Well this is odd, all of a sudden it has started AV switching and going to anamorphic on NTSC material.

Have no idea what caused it to suddenly start doing that... but i'm glad it did.

Still worried about the convergence glitches though... will give it a few days.

Shaun, did you sort out those smiling issues. It is starting to bug me on 2.35:1 material because you can clearly see the top black line isn't straight. Even though i've been in and out of those service menus can't find the easiest way to do it. Any ideas Laurel?

26. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope, i cant find anything to change the smiling bars. I have tried everthing in the service menu with no luck. They dont really bother me but if I find a way i will let you know.
    Im going to the hi fi store with my dvd player on friday so Ill ask the engineer there if he knows. He is a very knowledgable guy
    cheers

27. L.SKYWALKER

L.SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi everyone ,

Posted a few weeks back about problems with my panny (Been away few 3 weeks) well the engineer has just left and I'm still no closer to fixing the promblem.The bloke they sent out didn't know alot about RP sets as the RP expert was using up his days off:mad: Anyway he had a poke around and decided that one of the lenses was making a "buzzing sound" so it will have to go in to the work shop.They are picking it up on Monday and leaving me with a replacment.....

.....21in ASDA special can't wait.

Will let you know how long it takes to fix he,s hoping.:(

28. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I hope you get it sorted. I know just how you must be feeling. Let us know how you get on.

29. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys

With the "smiling" bar problem, this is probably a pincushion adjustment required.

I'm still waiting for the service manual from Panasonic, and this should give us the answer. I'm pretty sure this can be cured.

L.SKYWALKER

What problems specifically are you having? If it's the convergence issue, then I posted details of correcting this in the service menu's for jon - do a search on here.

Cheers

Laurel

30. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey dudes,

just got back from the store. The guy I spoke to (the knowledable one) told me that the problem I am having is a prob with the tv. he hooked up my dvd player to his tx42 in the shop and when my dvd was set to comp video the white splodges appeard at the top of the screen (only visible in a dark room) When we put it to RGB you get some fine lines moving around the top of the picture (about 6 inches from the top) We then tried another player and the same happened. He said its a problem with the motherboard in the tv. He saw it before and Panasonicc did make a modification but it does not work. As for the smiling black bars he reckons there is nothing you can do as that will be different for every panny tv, some will be ok while others wont as its somthing to do with the factory settings. I tried every service menu option and I could not correct the bars!!! If you find a way Laurel please let us know. Well hopefully my problems have ended. Only time will tell I suppose.

Cheers guys.

Shaun;)