1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic RP82

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by esta56, Jul 10, 2003.

1. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a problem with this player which is hooked up to a VSA-AX10i via an optical link.

When playing a DVD's in DTS, no probs, the amp shows the DTS mode but when playing back Dolby Digital the amp stays in Pro-Logic II and won't let me change it. I tested an old Tosh SD510 which worked fine using the same connection and same discs, the Pioneer correctly (and automatically) changed to DD.

I am assuming that the problem is with the RP82 and have gone through the settings which, to my limited knowledge, seem OK. So does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong?

The other thing to point out is that the VSA-AX10i always shows a Pro-Logic on its screen for the DVD/LD Standard setting and then changes (or doesn't) when it detects the encoded signal. Is that normal?

2. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well I'm stunned at the indepth responses/suggestions to my problem. Being a relative newbie I was told this is the place to come....hmmm.

I've carried on investigating the internet for clues to what's wrong and eventually found an answer and managed to get a DD 5.1 to appear on the front screen of my VSA-AX10i and therefore out of my speakers as well. The answer? Well it appears that the RP82 allows (within its Setup Menu) for a Bitstream or PCM format for DD and DTS (independent of each other). While I had DTS set to Bitstream, DD was set to PCM. So I changed DD to Bitstream and what do you know, I now have DD 5.1!!

The solution has raised some new questions:

1) If the required signal that my amp wants is Bitstream, why does the RP82 offer PCM as well? In otherwords what is the difference and when can it be used?

2) Can the Pioneer accept PCM and auto handle it or have I to change a setting manually?

3) Have I missed the point completely? Maybe PCM is intended for some other purpose and therefore is not a format I should be sending the Pioneer's way in the firstplace?

I hope someone can clear the fog and frustration caused by my lack of knowledge.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If i frequented this forum i could have answered! :p

The two are different encoding formats...... personally i thought dts was limited to bitstrem but i must be wrong. I was yahoo searching for an answer but didnt get anything so good. I think id be safe to say your pioneer can handle either format

Ad

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you'll find that it offers PCM as well because Minimum spec for DVD players is that they offer Dolby 2/0 (doesn't have to be 5.1) & PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) audio. This is because DVDs can be authored with PCM audio, they don't have to be authored with DD or DTS. (In practice the vast majority are because PCM audio takes up about 8 times the space of Dolby stereo).

Because you had PCM selected on the menu the player is assuming you don't have a Dolby encoder in your receiver & is downmixing & ouputting PCM which the receiver is then giving Pro Logic II treatment.

PCM is what is on music CDs & will automatically be recognised by your player for CD playback & output appropriately. However if your DVD input on your receiver is configured to play stereo PCM signals with Pro Logic II processing (which it obviously is) you are going to get this for your CD playback as well.

Leave your DTS & DD output as bitstream in the DVD menu & don't worry about it.

If you want to have your CD playback from the DVD player given Pro Logic II treatment leave that as is (though you may want Pro Logic II music mode as opposed to movie mode). If not just change the Playback mode on your receiver's DVD input to auto format decode & you'll get stereo playback for your music (with DD & DTS for your movies)

5. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you buns and vonhosen for your replies, they've helped me understand a bit more.

Every nugget of information is helping me make more and more sense of what's going on.

One day I might not be a newbie though I think that day is a while yet!!

Thanks again.

Richard