1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic RP82 -> SDI ->HTPC -> HS10 - Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Markatlarks, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I use a Panasonic RP82 which has Faroudja DCDi processing and with SDI mod input to an HTPC with Radeon 9000 to a SOny HS10 which also has Faroudja DCDi processing :

1. Am I going over the top!

2. What happens to the Faroudja DCDi processing being done in two places - I am not up to speed on whether this will work.:clown:

Any comments would be appreciated

(PS: Sony HS10 being sold for £1549 at http://www.mkatv.com/cgi-bin/jump_nav.cgi?cat=185x205 - Anyone been there? Any Comments?)

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You may be going over the top given that sdi performance is questionably available with the much cheaper pdi option. There is also possibilities that the pdi option will give much more choice for sound as it is developed, whereas the sdi option means your sound is stuck on a level.

but i dont think you are ott for your projector, it would work very well.

Ad

3. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Buns - Thanks for your prompt (very) reply.

Can you explain your PDI cost analysis. My SDI card was going to cost $220 for a single input - Not the Silk card alternative which is much more ($500) expensive.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I was unaware the HS10 had sage de-interlacing chipset

By using the SDI out of the RP82 you are bypassing the FLI SAGE chipset in the player so no dcdi processing is taking place.

If your capture card in the PC is not a Holo card with DCDi then you aren't getting the processing there either.

The best thing to do is try each combination to see which gives the level of picture quality you are happy with.

Gordon

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the silk card wouldnt be the best card anyhow...... the best budget sdi capture card would be a second hand or refurbished holo3d original at about £300 or better yet is the newed version, the h3d II card but it is somewhat more expensive. Both of these should be as good or better than the silk. Your sdi player is then going to cost $555 + vat and import thus totalling $775 + vat and import tax.

the pdi alternative, check out here . Add in a dvd drive and it will do everything the sdi does (or at least very close) yet will cost $225 + vat and import tax.

It also might be of interest to note, that the sdi route you are suggesting and the pdi i have mentioned will both be using dscaler and thus need a good basic spec. If you were to consider using on of the holo3d cards, you could use the much less hardware intensive h3d application so have a lesser basic pc spec. Plus, the h3d interface and operation is much more user friendly than that of dscaler.

I suggest you go and have a read around the pc forum as there is a load of info about all of this and guys more knowledgeable than i.

But with the sony hs10 im fairly sure the level of pc you are considering would be well worth it.

Ad

6. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Aside - I love this Forum, If you know a little and open your mouth you know before you press the 'Send' key that someone will put you on the staight and norrow!

Maybe I should stand back and say what I mean? Difficult!

I just want the best value for money high quality image from an HS10.
    (I have just confirmed purchase of same form "hi thanks for your purchase we will processes your order on Monday delivery of your projector will be Wednesday/Thursday of next week
    thanks again mka TVs ltd
    www.mkatv.com - £1549 incl VAT + Del!)

As a newbie I had come to the conclusion that a seperate DVD feeding thru SDI would be the dog b*llocks! So here is your chance (all of you) to tell me what I should be doing. I have broad shoulders and a warm heart!

My HTPC is as follows (hope I am not out of order here?) Radeon 9000, Pentium 4 2.4mhz 1GB memory and a 120Gb Baracuda) - The question then is What is the best solution if I want to drive an HS10 for ether DVD or TV watching? Budget (Shhh....) WGAD!

My thanks to member rahulkohli
    He mentioned the HS10 deal - Only one available and I got it - I hope!

WAGD - Who gives adam!

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D nice one on the projector! Id love to be buying a new one!

If you are on the WGAD (or WAGD!? :p) budget, holo3d II with HD output board fed by an sdi modified meridian dvd player. grand total...... a small fortune! :D

Being a bit more sensible...... my order of perference in your situation would be as follows.

1) Holo3d II card with HD output with your sdi panasonic. I say this ahead of pdi because it is easier, if you are a neewbie im presuming that matters to you!?

2) Holo3d I using the sdi panasonic.

3) alternative sdi input card with sdi panasonic.

I favour the holo3d for a number of reasons...... it is dead easy, it has good support and im a holo3d owner so im biaser!

Ad

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Don't forget I have SDI Panasonic RP62 for sale in the special offers section of this site......

Gordon