1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic reveal disappointing 2005 LCD line-up

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Panasonic have released details of their LCD line-up for 2005 and I have to confess to being somewhat disappointed. http://www.panasonic-europe.com/news_read.aspx?id=2094
    They will release the 50 series first in April, which will be what they refer to as a “budget line”, albeit a quality offering. Importantly though they have omitted to include HDMI connectivity. Buyers wanting HDMI will have to wait until July for the launch of their all singing and dancing 500 series. Again Panasonic have demonstrated (as I mentioned in a previous thread) that they do not see a large market for Hi Def, at least in the short to medium term, as they consider it will only be the enthusiast that will go for Hi Def. As a fan of Panasonic AV equipment I think they are missing an opportunity here, and one which they may well come to regret. Aesthetically though I do like the look of them - what do others think?

2. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that they have left out the pc input again :(

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I take it that the picture of the LCD on this link is the '50' series....gawd help them if this is the '500'! It looks just like a Video7/Goodmans/cheap'n'Chinese clone. Oh dear.

I'm sure the '500' will be a more interesting design...In fact, looking at the Specs, they generally need a good kick in the arse....

I, too, am a great fan of Panasonic kit and was looking forward to seeing if they could give Philips a run fpr their money during this summer.....doesn't look too promising.

Jimmy

Jimmy

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree Jimmy, they can be such an infuriating company, good if not brilliant one minute, and downright cheesy and short sighted the next. They seem to take a global view instead of producing region by region. This leaves me in no mans land now though as I had been banking on Panny coming up trumps, they still seem to be putting their efforts into Plasma rather than LCD - has no one told them that Plasma is not the way forward. As good as the Philips was when I had it on test, I do have serious doubts on build and reliability over the long term. The Sony Wega Engine, when it gets is connectivity sorted, and its price point, looks like the only game in town then.