1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic remote codes and NevoSL remotes

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MAW, Aug 31, 2005.

1. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just been programming a NevoSL, and it has DISCRETE input codes on my PHD7. There is no doubt about it. Those of you who have universals will know how significant this is. I think there is a strong chance they will work with PV500 series screens too. Is there a guinea pig out there with a pronto and a PV500?

2. xprezz

xprezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow not being able to switch inputs directly is one of the things that has put me off the PV500 for now. This could be huge..

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As you see, PV500 owners are a very forward bunch. If nobody's got a pronto, I'll have to visit Currys with one. I don't stock PV500s.

4. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would if I had one but I have not so I can't :)

5. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've got a marantz 5200 and a pv500 if you are interested

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hiya, yes we could try it if you like, I can send yout the hex code, you can see what it does. I've got about 12 codes here, and of course discrete on and off codes, and some PinP stuff, but of course the PHD is much simpler than the PV500, so most have no function. I can send the hex code labelled as per Nevo in a word doc, that would be easiest, as I only have prontoNG here, I can't send you a readable config file.

7. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAW, would these codes work on a Pocket PC equiped with Nevo? If so it would be good to post the codes here, allowing more people to try it.

Also, if these codes DO work, am I correct in assuming a learning remote would be able to duplicate the IR blast ?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi, with Nevosl you don't get hex codes, it's all hidden away. I can learn it to a pronto, and post the hex code that way, but that's it. Obviously any learning remote could be taught it from the Nevo. You may have access tot he same codes from Nevo on the net for your pocket PC, I've never used one, too time consuming for custom installers, fine if it's just your kit.

9. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw would you be kind enough to post me the Hex code for each discrete when you sort this out. This is great news!!
    I could cobble a CCF for classic pronto's for it and post it on RC to help others.I would be interested if it does work PV500 i have tried generating all 256 codes and still didnt find a discrete for inputs .

Mr Griffiths

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No worries, if you want to try it anyone, email me, I'll cc you in on the email. My email is public on my profile.

11. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've sent you an email maw

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Strangely, I've replied to it right now.

13. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well I get nothing from any of the codes, apart from the vcr code, which acts as the 0 button

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's the PV500, yes? Sad, then, unless it's got lost in translation. I can still get discrete slot 1, 2 and 3 on my PHD7 now I've learned the code to a pronto, which is good for 7 series users.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Right, there is also another codeset, I'll do the same with them. Out installing today, not till later.

16. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read that A Nevo Tech guy, indicated UEI added a lot of discrete codes to their database, in support of the Nevo SL.

he gave a tip. When using the online model-based programming assistant, note the number of the codeset it recommends. Then quit that online session and go back and add the Device and use the option to type in the codest number. He indicated the codeset number usually includes more discrete codes than the online model-based programming offers.

This might be a bit of help
    Thanks Maw for the Hex by the way :smashin:

17. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw,

Does these discrete codes on the Nevo work on the 6 series as well?

Thanks

Alex

18. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Spotted this old-ish thread.

Did anyone get discrete input source remote codes working on the PV500?

Thanks for your help.

Ben

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    oops, failing to keep up on my own thread! I've had no notificatios for some reason. 6 series, I'd have thought they would, I have no 6 to try it on. Email for the hex codes.

20. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW,

Unfortunately I don't have a Pronto. I'm trying to use a Harmony. Unfortunately it looks like the PV500 doesn;t have any discrete codes, or if it does, they're not the same as any other Panasonic models.

The Harmony site offers codes for many different Panasonic screens, some of which are labelled as discrete codes for AV switching, however none of these have worked with my PV500. I've even tried the PX500 (US version of the screen), but few of these codes do anything at all or they do different things than what is on the label.

It is strange that Panasonic seems to use so many different codes for similar equipment, and absolutely amazing that they (apparently) haven't included discrete codes for the PV500.

Their user interface for changing AV inputs on the PV500 is appaling, especially when it comes to choosing PC/Component/HDMI, and whether or not S-video is set on the SCART sockets. I would say it is virtually unusable for a non-technical person.

Ben

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Right, where are you, Ben? The Harmony importers are friends of mine in the trade, they sell Netstreams multi room too. I'll ask them about this, having given them this reason for not specifying Harmony on our installs. I must ry the Nevo codes myself, as there has been no clear feedback about this, pop in to comet maybe this week. Sure they won't mind/notice! Harmonys can learn IR can they?

22. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    MAW

Don't want to thread hi-jack as this is all about Panny codes but you seem to have both a Pronto NG and a Nevo SL and I want some impartial advice!

I have a Pronto NG that I love and have programmed to do lot of cool stuff it is very flexible - but I've always been peeved that I have to turn my telly on (or my squeeze box up stairs to access my media.

I was considering multi-room audio and demoed a Sonos www.sonos.com. It was very impressive - a little pricey but good features. Downside all of a sudden I'd need two remotes!

Then I found info on the Nevo SL! It looks perfect, but what I want to know is how it racks up against my beloved Pronto NG! Any advice? Are they both just as feature packed in the programming dept? How does the Media browsing/streaming functionality work? Does the remoke function well overall?

Thanks

Barry

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    the nevo sl looks made for you doesn't it? It's early days for me, I've had it since June, done 4 so far for customers. It has 98% of the features of the pronto, plus the wi fi control. It seems to work well, I don't use it for that myself though, I don't use video from a PC, and have a network enabled onkyo amp. Minor feature I suppose, it's a lot nicer in the hand than a pronto, not so big and square. Getting up and running is also easier than pronto, and getting a smart, consistent interface is more automatic. I see you are only up the road from me, perhaps you should try one?

24. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    MAW thanks for the fast response. I would love to see it in action.

Will e-mail you.

Barry

25. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW,

I'm in West London. Yes, the Harmony can learn IR too as well as using the online database.

One thing you could mention to the Logitech guys is that their database entry for the 42PV500 is very incomplete (e.g. no entries for volume or mute). I got around this by using the 37PV500 or 50PV500 models, which are more complete and fortunately seem to use the same codes. But still no discrete AV switching codes on those models, unfortunately.

I tried asking Panasonic if they can send me the hex codes, but they said their 'factory will not release them'.

I wonder if they get many complaints about the useability of the AV switching function. I was trying to explain it to a non-technical person, and they got hopelessly confused, especially when they had to figure out whether to use s-video, or switching between component, PC or HDMI - they just want to 'Watch Sky' or 'Watch a DVD' and neither know nor care whether they should select HDMI or Component, or whatever. It's shocking that this is supposed to be a consumer product, and yet it has such a shoddy user interface.

Ben

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well by coincidence, I'm going to Brixton (hi Mark) and Ealing tomorrow, late afternoon. Email me if you are on my route, I start and finish in Cobham, surrey, then brixton, then ealing, then home. I could have the nevo with me.

27. UglyMoose

UglyMoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I spent a whole weekend with a Pronto and 255 * 4 hex codes, did find some discretes as listed in this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224754&page=2

then sent the PV500 back, the PHD8 arrived last weekend, and the remote had all of the individual input buttons on it, which copied beautifully to the Pronto.

Id be interested to see if you find anything, but I am doubtful.